-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I built two, both based on Win 70 Classic (1990s vintage) CRF receivers, the first one was nice but I built a second to refine what I thought was ideal. I shot it side by side my 270 Win, same McMillan stock, and I could not tell any difference in recoil. They shoot flat and hit hard but ammo is expensive and often hard to find. I handloaded them (had a 240 Wby on a Win 70 too) but never could quite match factory velocity. Eventually sold them all, figured a 270 W would satisfy my need for that slot.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've bought three different SS 257Wby sporters over the years. Worked up loads for them and never killed anything. When something else caught my eye, they were sold to fund new projects. Kind of laughable, really. The current one is a simple Vanguard Stainless with the gray/black factory stock and a re-sprung HACT 2-stage trigger. I keep it around as a loaner rifle, as it's a pretty good point-and-shoot rig for any reasonable range around here (250yd zero with 115NPT).

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've owned a couple of nice 25-06's long ago and never could warm up to them. Bought a SS Vanguard in .257 6 years ago and it's become my favorite Weatherby cartridge. Only thing I did outside of the factory stock condition is I changed the factory 2 stage trigger for a Timney set at 2 lbs. It's not fussy about different bullet weights, doesn't kick much at all, shoots 1/4" 3 shot groups with 110 grain Accubonds and just flattens deer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The TTSX does give one the ability to "punch above your weight" with the 257, but there is something about that 100gr Hornady pill that just flattens deer. IT does wreck the shoulder, but IDGAF, not a big fan of venison anyway and besides, the shoulder is ground meat material anyway smile
Damn near anything flattens deer with a shoulder shot.

Umm no. ergo ny comment(s), with operative words IN MY EXPERIENCE.....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[I've killed a few with a .22 LR and NOT ONE ever took a step.

For posterity....Noting the missing words "in the shoulder"....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The TTSX does give one the ability to "punch above your weight" with the 257, but there is something about that 100gr Hornady pill that just flattens deer. IT does wreck the shoulder, but IDGAF, not a big fan of venison anyway and besides, the shoulder is ground meat material anyway smile
Damn near anything flattens deer with a shoulder shot.

Umm no. ergo ny comment(s), with operative words IN MY EXPERIENCE.....
I've lost track of how many I've flattened with shoulder shots from .223, .243, .30-30,.308 and.30-06. It's a bunch.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Perhaps placement trumps speed when it comes to killing. I always get a kick out of folks when they regale us with tales of how a certain cartridge "drops deer in their tracks" and then you find out it was from shoulder shots.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Perhaps placement trumps speed when it comes to killing. I always get a kick out of folks when they regale us with tales of how a certain cartridge "drops deer in their tracks" and then you find out it was from shoulder shots.

Yessir, of course placement does. Even I know that/ Hence, my comment "everything else being equal"/ And for the record, I've shot deer with everything from a 375 HH down to a 250 Savage, ON THE SHOULDER and whilst MOST of them DO drop in their tracks, the 257 Weatherby--IN MY EXPERIENCE-- has a perfect record. the others mentioned, do not.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Yessir, of course placement does. Even I know that/ Hence, my comment "everything else being equal"/ And for the record, I've shot deer with everything from a 375 HH down to a 250 Savage, ON THE SHOULDER and whilst MOST of them DO drop in their tracks, the 257 Weatherby--IN MY EXPERIENCE-- has a perfect record. the others mentioned, do not.
My .30-30 has a perfect record of dropping deer with shoulder shots too, as do my .243 and .30-06. I've seen a few that were not dropped instantly with a shoulder shot over the years {various cartridges/bullets}. Mostly I think that although they were indeed hit in the shoulder, it was just a smidge too low.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never owned a magnum (except the .22 Magnum) in over 25 years of hunting. I've never needed one. However, several interest me including the .257 Weatherby, .264 Win and .300 H&H. But I have no use for them. I have never needed to shoot much past 200m. Last week I took two pigs at under 50 metres each with my little 6.5x47. Both dropped on the spot. Even for large tough game like our sambar deer I've used large calibre standard rounds like .35 Whelen and 9.3x62.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
340 fan here. Powerful. A long way out.

LOL
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here's an example of what a "shoulder shot" can drop on the spot with something less than a .257 Weatherby. Eileen killed this Montana whitetail with a .243 Winchester and a 100-grain Nosler Partition late in the day, when the buck appeared on the edge of very thick cover. She put the bullet about 2/3 of the way up from the front leg, and it not only broke both shoulders and the spine, but exited....

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Here's an example of what a "shoulder shot" can drop on the spot with something less than a .257 Weatherby. Eileen killed this Montana whitetail with a .243 Winchester and a 100-grain Nosler Partition late in the day, when the buck appeared on the edge of very thick cover. She put the bullet about 2/3 of the way up from the front leg, and it not only broke both shoulders and the spine, but exited....

[Linked Image]

That deer looks a lot bigger than a puny central Texas deer. Any idea what he weighs?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Didn't weigh it, but would guess 200+ pounds live weight. Which isn't unusual for Montana whitetail bucks.

Have hunted deer quite a bit in various parts of Texas (and enjoyed it all!) but even the biggest Texas bucks I've killed have been only about 2/3 that size.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I built two, both based on Win 70 Classic (1990s vintage) CRF receivers, the first one was nice but I built a second to refine what I thought was ideal. I shot it side by side my 270 Win, same McMillan stock, and I could not tell any difference in recoil. They shoot flat and hit hard but ammo is expensive and often hard to find. I handloaded them (had a 240 Wby on a Win 70 too) but never could quite match factory velocity. Eventually sold them all, figured a 270 W would satisfy my need for that slot.

I too put together a 257Wby on a SS M70 Classic. 25" 1:10 Lija 3-groove #3 taper in an Edge fill McMillan Classic w/blind magazine. It's a bit over 8# w/NF 3-10 SHV mounted. W/100gn bullets I'm able to exceed factory FPS using Ramshot Magnum powder. I've taken a 5' spring black bear, a pronghorn, a cow elk, a fair number of both Whitetail and Mule Deer and a few coyotes. Regarding big game, I've come to the same conclusion as you, it doesn't do anything the 270Win won't. I don't recall shooting anything under 100yds with it, a few deer right at the 100yd mark and I've shot deer out to right at 600yds with it. Where I do see an advantage is moving/running coyotes. I just have a better feel for the lead required by the 257Wby vs. the 270Win.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

[Linked Image]

That deer looks a lot bigger than a puny central Texas deer. Any idea what he weighs?

That’s a big dang deer! Just looking at Eileen’s hand on the beam. It’s like she’s holding a baseball bat by the fat end. Good work. That junction point where the spine goes between the shoulders is sure a sweet spot. Even if you miss a little left, right or low they’re down.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

A lot of the big deer here in South Texas, are only seen during the rut, and they have lost 30% of their body weight, running Does, it's rare to find one that's over 200# we did kill a buck a couple of years ago that weighed 230# that year we killed several Does that were 135# or a little more, but that is not common here. Rio7

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
This buck of Eileen's was taken toward the end of the rut up here.

The heaviest whitetail buck ever officially weighed (certified scales, with witnesses) in Montana went 375 whole, 275 field-dressed.

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Fireball2
340 fan here. Powerful. A long way out.

The 340 WBY is a stud FB.

Nice buck for Mrs. Mule Deer, Thanks for posting. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The ONLY thing I dislike about the 257 WBY is that it does take a toll on barrels. Speed kills animals and barrels. But as someone once said, they make new barrels every day.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 1badf350, 338reddog, 117LBS, 204guy, 22 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,796
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.