Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Good versus suck. grin

LOL, I would say both have their distinct advantages and disadvantages.

This is progress.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Just for giggles I looked at various animals around my house with the Athlon Helos at 9x to stimulate a traditional U.S. hunting scope. My neighbors horse at slightly less than 200 yards away where a 150 gr jsp .308 would need roughly half a mil of hold over and half a mil of wind hold at 10mph with a 100 yard zero, the horse took up roughly half the scope view. I could see the whole horse and several feet around him.

That is where most milradian reticles start. Less range would need less holds so reducing the magnification wouldn't really hurt anything.

Now if I were looking through a 20x scope and I needed it to be 9x to have that view, yes I would want to have a ffp scope, but I personally don't feel a 9x sfp scope would be any issue hunting as at max magnification and at a distance where the reticle subtensions become useful I can use the reticle at full mag while at closer distances with lower magnification, it isn't needed.

But I am definitely not an expert and I am open to learning.

Last edited by CrowHunterTN; 04/01/22.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Starbuck

There's a lot of different FFP reticles; it's inaccurate and misleading to make a universal statement to the effect that FFP's are too small to be visible at low X, or obfuscate the target on max X. Well designed FFP reticles offer the best of both worlds by including thicker aiming features that stand out on low X, along with fine lined aiming points that only become visible on higher X.

As far as FFP's being better in high zoom range scopes, I'd disagree. They are at their best in low zoom range scopes such as the SWFA 3-9 and the Bushie LRHS/LRTS 3-12. With a lower zoom range, it's much easier to keep an FFP reticle usable on low X and precise on max X.

The largest advantage of FFP is being able to use whatever X best fits the scenario. On an SFP, you're constrained to be at max X to be able to use the reticle subtensions for aiming.

Agreed. SFP optics have their place but a good quality FFP reticle is an incredibly versatile tool for the majority of what I do. Quick up close and accurate as you strech out the range. It also makes the mid range much more practical than a SFP where you're more likely to only use min and max power....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of my FFP scopes that will die deerless:

Schmidt Bender 3-20x50 34mm PM II
USO 1.8-10x37 Ergo Upgrade MOA scale type 1 reticle
IOR 2x10x42

Some of my clothes I will not wear out:
Carhart extra large rain jacket.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by centershot
I personally hate 1st focal plane reticles. They are tiny when the power is turned up and huge when turned down. Not only the bdc marks but the width of the marks change also. Yuk. I much prefer a simple duplex with nice big turret if I decide holding over a touch is not accurate enough.

You obviously don’t own a FFP scope. The effect is exactly the opposite of what you state. crazy

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Some of my FFP scopes that will die deerless:

Schmidt Bender 3-20x50 34mm PM II
USO 1.8-10x37 Ergo Upgrade MOA scale type 1 reticle
IOR 2x10x42

Some of my clothes I will not wear out:
Carhart extra large rain jacket.

Too big or too small?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
I personally hate 1st focal plane reticles. They are tiny when the power is turned up and huge when turned down. Not only the bdc marks but the width of the marks change also. Yuk. I much prefer a simple duplex with nice big turret if I decide holding over a touch is not accurate enough.

You obviously don’t own a FFP scope. The effect is exactly the opposite of what you state. crazy

Exactly correct. I couldn't believe what I was reading over on page one and no one seemed to pick up on it. I really like my 1st focal plane 1.5-6x42 Zeiss Euro scope for it's correct reticle size for a close range whitetail scope. My Swarovski FFP 2.5-10x42 reticle appears too large up at 10x even though it covers the same amount that it does down at 2.5x.

Say that you are going to shoot a broadside deer at last legal light. Do you want to shoot it with your SFP variable scope set to the lowest power? I don't and turning a FFP scope to a higher power makes the reticle stand out boldly against the target. Those European guys get to hunt later in the evening than we do and those high end Euro scope manufacturers know something about building scopes that work well in that environment.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Windfall

Exactly correct. I couldn't believe what I was reading over on page one and no one seemed to pick up on it. I really like my 1st focal plane 1.5-6x42 Zeiss Euro scope for it's correct reticle size for a close range whitetail scope. My Swarovski FFP 2.5-10x42 reticle appears too large up at 10x even though it covers the same amount that it does down at 2.5x.

Say that you are going to shoot a broadside deer at last legal light. Do you want to shoot it with your SFP variable scope set to the lowest power? I don't and turning a FFP scope to a higher power makes the reticle stand out boldly against the target. Those European guys get to hunt later in the evening than we do and those high end Euro scope manufacturers know something about building scopes that work well in that environment.

I am fine shooting SFP in any light and at any distance.

Europeans tend to hunt in very controlled situations.

Anything will work.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sure as hell don't - it's not for me - at all. Sorry, I forgot which way the figgin reticle went - it was annoying as hell at both ends of the power range. I have tried it on 2 different scopes one a cheap Hawke and the other a Quigley. Pretty much both ends of the price / quality range and hated them both.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Sure as hell don't - it's not for me - at all. Sorry, I forgot which way the figgin reticle went - it was annoying as hell at both ends of the power range. I have tried it on 2 different scopes one a cheap Hawke and the other a Quigley. Pretty much both ends of the price / quality range and hated them both.

The bottom-line is that it is an individual preference when it comes to hunters, it really makes no key difference in terms of missing a shot or not. For ultra-precision long-distance shooting such as competition and sniping where hold-over versus dialing can be super important, I would think the FFP would become a technical choice, not one based on preference as there is too much in favor for the FFP in this scenario.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (219DW, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,480
Posts18,529,651
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.