Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Buckshot77
What's everyone think, who makes the best cheaper cup and core deer bullet (smaller 130-150# deer). Will be shot out of a .308 Winchester, prefer 150gr bullets unless there is a reason to shoot something else.

Always liked the Core-lock, but don't think they sell them as components anymore. Ive had good results with Nosler Ballistic tips, but their not cheap anymore. Thinking Seirra Gameking, Speer hot core, or ?. If they don't fall right there, I want a blood trail a blind man can follow.

I want to be able to afford to shoot a bunch with the same load I'm going to hunt with.

interlocks or power points would be my choice.

Last edited by Skatchewan; 04/03/22.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by XBOLT51
federal terminal accent nothing else needed

He wanted "cheaper" Those aren't.

Great bullet though.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hornady interlock would be my choice.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Hornady or Speer work well and will do what you want. I just added 1500 Hot Cores to my pile.

Yup.
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Why in the fink would you ever consider using a CHEAP bullet.....what is there to gain not one thing.....the only time to use a CHEAP bullet is to punch holes in paper or shoot non-living targets.....

You want to use a bullet to shoot and KILL use Cutting Edge Bullets......they may cost more than cheap junk bullets using old technology and are nothing but JUNK....

https://cuttingedgebullets.com

Probably one of the dumbest comments I have ever read. Tell you what, you go stand 150 yards away from me and let me take one shot at you with a 150 gr Hornady fired out of my 308. We'll see how you feel about the "junk" after it hits you. Deal?

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
308/150gr.

Unlike the small caliber guys, you are in the sweet spot.
More than "enough" (always a good thing) oomph.

Not so much as to be hard on shooter or bullet.

Stay away from any bullet designed for the 30-30 and you will be fine
with C&C bullets.

Ballistic Tips, Sierra Pro-hunters pointed or RN, Game Kings, or Interlocks.
In that order, IMHO. Personal opinion only, any order would be fine.

Anyone thinking you need or want some mono premium bullet for deer in a 308
is just looking to "have the best"(most expensive)

Have shot deer with Partitions from 7mm and 300 magnums.
The results were slower kills than traditional bullets in a 308.
(Rib shots)

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
308/150gr.

Unlike the small caliber guys, you are in the sweet spot.
More than "enough" (always a good thing) oomph.

Not so much as to be hard on shooter or bullet.

Stay away from any bullet designed for the 30-30 and you will be fine
with C&C bullets.

Ballistic Tips, Sierra Pro-hunters pointed or RN, Game Kings, or Interlocks.
In that order, IMHO. Personal opinion only, any order would be fine.

Anyone thinking you need or want some mono premium bullet for deer in a 308
is just looking to "have the best"(most expensive)

Have shot deer with Partitions from 7mm and 300 magnums.
The results were slower kills than traditional bullets in a 308.
(Rib shots)

I felt the same way about the one I shot with a Partition with my 308. Also, even though they get rave reviews, I haven't been crazy about the 130ttsx in my 308. All deer died and didn't runt far, but not much blood to follow. Got me to thinking about the performance I used to get before I was a reloader and just shot Core-locts and Power Points. I love the premium bullets if I'm shooting deer with my 223, but I'm going back to cheap bullets in my 308.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You. Can’t go wrong with Hornady. The flat base spire point with the lead tip. The number of deer I kill a year it would not matter if bullets were 25 bucks a pop. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Do Gold Dots count as "cheaper"? I think those things are the cat's ass if they are made in the size you need, getting pushed fast enough, and sufficiently accurate for your gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why in the fink would you ever consider using a CHEAP bullet.....what is there to gain not one thing.....the only time to use a CHEAP bullet is to punch holes in paper or shoot non-living targets.....

You want to use a bullet to shoot and KILL use Cutting Edge Bullets......they may cost more than cheap junk bullets using old technology and are nothing but JUNK....

It doesn't take much to kill a deer. I've shot quite a few and any C & C will do a great job on one. If you think any of them mentioned are junk, you really haven't shot many deer with any of them.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It was Ross Seyfried that described the flat-based Interlock as the cheapest of the premium bullets, but I get endless entertainment sort of slipping that into conversations. Some people get this wild-eyed look like their world got rocked, but those who have some meaningful experience transition to this pondering look where they concede that if you can't do it with an Interlock you probably couldn't do it anyway.

Sort of like asking if the 375 is the biggest small gun or the smallest big gun. On a windless day, you can smell brain clutches smoking. wink

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The 150 Hornady SP is my favorite currently produced bullet for my 300 Savages, it has worked to perfection on a bunch of deer and bears.

I can’t think of anything that would be a better inexpensive deer bullet for a 308.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot the Hornady 150 gr. Interlocks and 150 gr. Speer Spitzers. Both will go clean through and make a decent hole if a behind shoulder shot but, heavy shoulder or neck muscle will a lot of times stop them under the skin of opposite side. They kill quick though and shoot great. The longest shot I've made with either was about 225 yards. Up close in the woods they will a lot of times not go all the way through.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Holy szchit, this is pete53-esque.

I've killed a pile of deer with the Speer Hot-Cor – zero issues.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Royce
Hornady interlock- dam near as good a Partition. In years of working a gun counter, can never remember hearing a compliant about them for deer or elk, and they were our most popular bullet.

I can complain about them. We had mixed results back in the 70s/80s with 180s from two '06s. A small percentage performed correctly, the rest either disintegrated or penciled through. We switched to head shots to reduce the amount of tracking needed. Others' experiences vary I'm sure, but that's how it worked **for us**. Sierras were no better but they seemed to be more accurate. I switched to Speer Hot Cores and my problems ended, my father stuck with Hornady and Sierra and his persisted.

Tom

You had trouble with a bullet 40 years ago so you're going to complain about them? LOL

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Ky221

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

That's a hellova buck. You have anymore pics of him?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've read where the Hornady Interlock was referred to as the "poor man's Partition". I can't think of a much better compliment than that.
I use the 165 grain Hornady #3040 in my 30-06 with excellent results. I'll be switching to 150 Hornady #3031 in my 308 when I run out of Partitions.

Last edited by River_Ridge; 04/06/22. Reason: Even more wisdom.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MAC
There isn't a deer alive that can survive a 150 gr Hornady in the lungs. They don't cost a lot and they work.

Absolutely correct. I have shot a lot of deer with them. Not expensive and shoot as well in my rifles as the pretty bullets.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plus 1 on interlocks

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Ky221

That's a hellova buck. You have anymore pics of him?

A few. Disregard the facial expressions. Probably not likely to see it outside of an asylum.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,454
Posts18,471,089
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.