Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Speculation is one of the biggest contributors to the Custer myth.

So much could have or may have happened, but had Custer survived, the reports and conditions as we know it would be completely different. Much of the testimony right after the battle, changed by the time of Reno’s court of inquiry almost 3 years later.

It is also convenient that the court of inquiry was over 2 years later, which is past any deadline for an official “Court Martial.” This certainly was in Reno’s favor as the worst that could happen is the tarnish on his reputation would remain, with no dishonorable end of his career, although he was later dishonorably discharged for practices ”unbecoming.” Reno was not found guilty of any malfeasance, but had Custer survived, that would have changed the outcome of the Court Of Inquiry.

As far as Crooke was concerned, he should have been brought up on charges of insubordination. There has never been any real investigation into his actions on the Rosebud, yet he was a critical part of the plan to contain the Indians in the Little Bighorn vicinity. He fired over 25,000 rounds of ammunition and hit only a handful of Indians and had Crooke not had the 200 Indian scouts with him, he may have suffered the same fate as Custer did.

Had Custer survived, Crooke would have been investigated.

The events have been told and retold since the battle, there is no shortage of different accounts. The testimonies of the soldiers and officers by the time of Reno’s inquiry changed dramatically and Custer became the goat. Everyone from General Terry on down, recanted testimony from what was given just after the battle.

Even Terry tried to convince everyone that Custer disobeyed orders, yet his orders survive today, verbatim. Nowhere in his orders does it show that Custer disobeyed anything Terry wrote, but the survivors are the ones that write history. Had Custer survived, this wouldn’t even be a consideration.

The survivors of the worst American defeat in history, and on the Anniversary of the 100 years since signing the Declaration Of Independence, needed to put blame somewhere else that would exonerate themselves and the image of the United States Army. Had Custer survived, the blame would have been placed where it belonged.

Testimony did change, but what happened only happened once. One of the best accounts of the debacle at the river crossing and route of Reno to the hilltop, was from George Herendeen, who had been hired as a mule skinner, but turned into a scout because of his intimate knowledge of Indians and the Bighorn valley. He was very critical of Reno at the river, and he had taken about 15 troopers into the woods at the river and kept them safe until they later joined Reno at the top of the hill without a single casualty. He knew how to survive and was capable enough to witness Reno for who he really was. Herendeen was still critical of Reno at the Court Of Inquiry.

Speculation is legion in the whole affair of the battle. Studying the accounts from reputable sources help to sort out what did happen. Once a person investigates Custer and the battle, the comments of “dumbass” “Indian Hater” “wanted to be President” and many more labels that are given him, it is certain that Custer would be remembered as a stellar Cavalry Leader with no equal during the Civil War. He was more than capable as an Indian fighter and at his best on the battlefield. Had Custer survived his legacy would be far from what it is today.

Years later an observation by a contemporary Indian fighter General Nelson A. Miles had this observation:

"The more I see of movements here the more admiration I have for Custer," Colonel Nelson Miles wrote from the field to his wife several months after the Battle of the Little Big horn," and I am satisfied his like will not be found very soon again."
What do you think of Benteen? He takes a lot of criticism from some quarters. I read that he advised Custer to keep the whole outfit together as they had enough Indians ahead of them without looking for more. Also he takes criticism for his "slow" response to Custer's order to come on and bring packs. He did come to the battle and did order the ammo packs hurried up if I read correctly.

Do you think he behaved dishonorably? Do you think he went outside his authority and discretion when he stayed with Reno and apparently organized combining the 2 battalions and setting up a defense rather than making a quick run down the river bluffs? I've noticed that Sheridan did not raise any issue about Benteen's actions and Sheridan was always in Custer's corner.

Obviously Benteen wasn't a fan of Custer but I don't believe that would have stopped him from doing his duty as he saw his "duty". He also obviously wasn't a coward.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
What do you think of Benteen? He takes a lot of criticism from some quarters. I read that he advised Custer to keep the whole outfit together as they had enough Indians ahead of them without looking for more. Also he takes criticism for his "slow" response to Custer's order to come on and bring packs. He did come to the battle and did order the ammo packs hurried up if I read correctly.

Do you think he behaved dishonorably? Do you think he went outside his authority and discretion when he stayed with Reno and apparently organized combining the 2 battalions and setting up a defense rather than making a quick run down the river bluffs? I've noticed that Sheridan did not raise any issue about Benteen's actions and Sheridan was always in Custer's corner.

Obviously Benteen wasn't a fan of Custer but I don't believe that would have stopped him from doing his duty as he saw his "duty". He also obviously wasn't a coward.

My take on Benteen:

I don't know the reason for his hatred for Custer, but it was before the Washita. Many people bring up this battle to criticize Custer for things that didn't happen and not understanding what really happened there. Custer had orders to attack the village and capture the non-combatants as had been done to gain the edge in an Indian conflict. He was also told to kill all the Indian ponies, which his men had a hard time doing. Killing horses would be like burning a parking lot full of Corvettes today.

As far as Custer abandoning Major Elliott and his small command, you need to remember Elliott had left the battalion on his own accord, not under Custer's orders, Custer had to rally his troops and make a false charge on the ensuing warriors from down the river. In making that maneuver, he stalled the Indians that were coming, long enough to get his command in order to retreat and get back to safety. Benteen accused Custer of abandoning Major Elliott, this is not the case.

Benteen was way more than adequate as a soldier. I think he was a very capable and a seasoned veteran of the Civil War and Indian fighting. I do not think that his hatred for Custer would have compromised his principles and leave Custer to die.

I do think he was slow to come to the battle in Custer's support. There is proof of 2 and at least another time that a message had been sent to Benteen to come to the fight. The final written note still survives and is indisputable. When Benteen received the final message, he was in the vicinity of the pack train, close enough that Boston Custer left the pack train at the same time to join his brother and ultimately die with Custer.

Getting to the pack train, is where I wonder if he couldn't have gotten there sooner as he had already been told to come in support.

Reno did need his support on the top of the hill by the time Benteen got there. When Benteen got to Reno, Reno was badly beaten up and in need of order and support. Who's fault is that? The timing becomes the question.

Boston got to Custer in plenty of time to die on last stand hill, but before the finality on last stand hill, skirmish lines had been formed by the different companies of Keogh, Calhoun, Yates, indicating that there was enough time for Benteen to get there before the critical time of Custer's demise.

Could Benteen have saved Custer?

That would be a totally different discussion, but there is no doubt things would have been significantly different.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm no authority but my take on the whole affair is that Custers battle was lost from the start. They were so badly outnumbered there was no chance for defeating the indians.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve really enjoyed reading this thread!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Shrapnel: Do you think Custer's worn out and basically wasted horses played a major issue in his ability to maneuver and contributed to his defeat? Do you think what is called Benteen's dawdling could instead be his knowledge that he absolutely had to conserve his horses if he was to be of service in battle?

I believe Benteen's success where Custer failed was that he had a little time to put his best 100 men on the line and a huge supply of ammo. I'm guessing the best men were firing and others were loading and passing rifles to them.

It is somewhat of a miracle that Benteen held his position considering its exposure and is a testament to his and his men's bravery and luckily for them the Indians lack of military tactics.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rainshot
I'm no authority but my take on the whole affair is that Custers battle was lost from the start. They were so badly outnumbered there was no chance for defeating the indians.

Well, like most people on all things Custer, you'd be wrong.

This was a real battle on real terrain using the communication methods of the time. And this battle was largely brought to fruition by bad intelligence.

Not a high school football game.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I just started reading Custer’s Trials, written by T J Stiles a few days ago.
I’m really not much for biographies, I’m mostly reading campaign studies or books devoted to a conflict in American history.
But George Custer is one of those interesting characters you meet in history, and he sorta has a way of fascinating you and drawing you in. Much more so than many others.
This book brings Custer to life, warts, as well as the boyish charm that he was famous for.
Stiles uses the context of the time, Civil War, frontier, industrial revolution and sheds further light on his career and his relationship to those around him.
Like most folks my age, I always had a sorta negative opinion of Custer. I had always thought of him as a glory seeker and considered his roll in the Indian Wars, at least controversial if not criminal.
But over the years, I’ve become fascinated by The Little Big Horn Battle, and further study has come to change my opinion of Custer and his roll.
If you’re interested in this, I highly recommend this book.
7mm

Congrats on seeing the light. Best thing a person could due regarding Custer is take everything they think they know and throw it in the fugking trash.

Originally Posted by Not-A-SharpMan
Custer was an egotistical dumbass! Just that simple!

^^^Otherwise you'll end up looking like a dumb fugk.^^^

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An excellent and interesting thread, lads. Thanks for those presenting information.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A detailed Indian account of the battle. Many links- Several accounts, both Indian and White. Enough for hours of reading.

I dunno how many are free...

https://www.astonisher.com/archives/museum/wm_o_taylor_big_horn.html#bugle

https://www.astonisher.com/archives/museum/wooden_leg_little_big_horn.html#whirlwind_charge

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I find it interesting that people called the Indian contingent with Crook scouts. They were mercenaries all 200 plus of them.
It is said by the people on the Crow/ Cheyenne reservation in Lame Deer that Custer fell in the Bighorn River, not where the the markers place him.
It’s not spoken of often and when it comes up it’s with casual indifference. Maybe because it’s just word of mouth hand me down.
Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shrapnel: Do you think Custer's worn out and basically wasted horses played a major issue in his ability to maneuver and contributed to his defeat? Do you think what is called Benteen's dawdling could instead be his knowledge that he absolutely had to conserve his horses if he was to be of service in battle?

I believe Benteen's success where Custer failed was that he had a little time to put his best 100 men on the line and a huge supply of ammo. I'm guessing the best men were firing and others were loading and passing rifles to them.

It is somewhat of a miracle that Benteen held his position considering its exposure and is a testament to his and his men's bravery and luckily for them the Indians lack of military tactics.

I have tried to maintain credible references for any information I have posted. The opinions of people that rely on hearsay and bad information, always seems to get too much consideration.

I will cite passages from Colonel Walter Graham USA retired, who was an army officer in the early 20th century, but did personally communicate with Benteen and referred to personal accounts by General Godfrey and George Herendeen who were all present and survived the battle. It is true that Graham corresponded at great length with Benteen for years after the battle and also with General Godfrey before his death in 1929. Both Godfrey and Herendeen were quite vivid in their individual testimonies of the battle and do allow very credible insight.

Godfrey's account of why Custer decided to advance on the Indian village on the 25th of June rather than the 26th as was originally planned. This also helps to quell the naysayers that continue to castigate Custer, claiming he wanted all the glory for himself:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Godfrey's take on Reno:

Here is another weakness exhibited by Reno, related to by Benteen, that should stay with him even in death as he was willing to abandon the field hospital and it's occupants to save his own life. Reno did die in clouded and unfavorable circumstances with an dishonorable discharge which the Reno family fought to get him exonerated They got their wish and he is buried in the cemetery at the battlefield with all the other soldiers that are buried there with honor:

Addressing the condition of the horses and troopers, Herendeen made this observation. It has been said by others that the horse had been stressed, I am sure that it had to have an affect on things, but Herendeen observed differently:

From Nathaniel Philbrick's book " The Last Stand" here are other accounts of the slowness that Benteen exhibited in getting to support Custer and watering his horses. From these accounts, i base my conclusion that Benteen didn't act with any Haste:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Osky
I find it interesting that people called the Indian contingent with Crook scouts. They were mercenaries all 200 plus of them.
It is said by the people on the Crow/ Cheyenne reservation in Lame Deer that Custer fell in the Bighorn River, not where the the markers place him.
It’s not spoken of often and when it comes up it’s with casual indifference. Maybe because it’s just word of mouth hand me down.
Osky

The soldier in buckskin who was shot at the medicine tail coulée ford was probably Lt. James Sturgis. His head was later found where the village had been, I believe articles of his clothing were also found.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Osky

The soldier in buckskin who was shot at the medicine tail coulée ford was probably Lt. James Sturgis. His head was later found where the village had been, I believe articles of his clothing were also found.

You may be right. I was hunting with a Lakota I know last year, he is married to a northern Cheyenne. An evening discussion we had and that was repeated. I first heard it back around 68-69 or so, not that I knew much more than Custers name at that age.
I know nothing official it only comes to mind when this open discussion comes up.
I would say that from what I have read, Custer would have been at the front of his command and they did make it down to the Little Bighorn from many accounts. Across that river were nothing but a field of lodges and an angry swarm gathering. I cannot imagine why anyone would go down there unless they were being led by Custer nor do I think Custer would have given that “honor” of anyone but himself leading the assault directly on the main village. By dividing his command he’d obviously saved the plumb for himself and would be front and center as was his nature.
After having been there and seeing the scene it seems to jive in my mind but again I am no expertise on what happened there that day.
More interesting to me was why Crook was parked down on the Goose after knowing first hand the great number of Indians just to his north. Even after the casualties his command suffered on the Rosebud he still had more field ready manpower than Custers command. Knowing Custer was basically coming up the Rosebud at any time I haven’t seen anything showing he even had scouts out to make any sort of communication or coordination. He was for many days just camping?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The battle of the Rosebud must have been a sobering experience for Crook, it really took the wind out of his sails.
The book “Rosebud, June 17, 1876” by Hedren is very good. I want to go back to the battlefield after reading it.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It seems the battle on the Rosebud is all but lost in the Shadow of the LBH. Actually you hear even less about the fight at Wolf Mountain just over east on the Tongue river the following winter which actually was a last gasp event, at least the way I see it.

Osky

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It seems the battle on the Rosebud is all but lost in the Shadow of the LBH. Actually you hear even less about the fight at Wolf Mountain just over east on the Tongue river the following winter which actually was a last gasp event, at least the way I see it.Osky
As to the Rosebud battle, I have wondered why Crook was not taken to task for abandoning his mission. I could understand maybe not going in hot pursuit due to the possibility of being drawn into a prepared trap. But to turn around and quit without sending runners with messages for the other armies in the field seems terribly out of order considering he was part of a 3 pronged attack.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It seems the battle on the Rosebud is all but lost in the Shadow of the LBH. Actually you hear even less about the fight at Wolf Mountain just over east on the Tongue river the following winter which actually was a last gasp event, at least the way I see it.Osky
As to the Rosebud battle, I have wondered why Crook was not taken to task for abandoning his mission. I could understand maybe not going in hot pursuit due to the possibility of being drawn into a prepared trap. But to turn around and quit without sending runners with messages for the other armies in the field seems terribly out of order considering he was part of a 3 pronged attack.

Exactly. Especially with the number of combatants he faced. That had to tell him a big deal was near by.
I wonder if the Crow and Shoshone who left Crook when he went back and parked himself on the Goose did so out of disgust or out of fear knowing there was an extremely large gathering just to the north.

Osky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel

“The Rivers Ran Red” by Michael Donahue could be the best book of late. He is one of the most knowledgeable Custer historians alive today. He worked at the battlefield for many years and he and Steve Adelson have been all over the battlefield and studied the battle extensively.

https://www.indianwarsbooks.com/pag...indian-fights-of-george-armstrong-custer

Excellent talk by Mr. Adelson. Thanks for posting it.

I've been to the LBH a couple times and you can feel the history.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
CUSTER WAS AN EGOTISTICAL A SSHOLE AND A DUMBASS TO BOOT! All the way back through to the War Between the States!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
CUSTER WAS AN EGOTISTICAL A SSHOLE AND A DUMBASS TO BOOT! All the way back through to the War Between the States!!

^^^Extra point to the stupid score.^^^

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 2ndwind, 12344mag, 1234, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 1,687 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,038
Posts18,521,093
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.