Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 907brass
Originally Posted by Daveh
After the PM, if a price is agreed upon, don't forget the public "I'll take it"

Not required unless the seller says so…The seller can always just post a SOLD….

That's true. Just more proper etiquette IMO.

I’ve bought and sold many things on here over the years and I agree wholeheartedly with what’s been stated. However, on several occasions I’ve posted that I’d take a particular item, only to be told by the seller that it had been sold. Nobody posted that they would take it and the seller never stated that it was no longer available. Not the end of the world…but since we’re discussing etiquette, I think it’s worth adding.

Last edited by Bobmar; 04/05/22.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have made offers and accepted offers via PM
I don’t think public offers are the way to do it

If I have room in the item and offer is respectful no sweat
One way to stop me cold
“I’ll give you xxx for xxx”

I don’t have to sell anything that bad

Most folks here are great to deal with

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by KLM
IMHO the important factor is to make your offer through a PM. Low class to post an offer in the WTS thread.

Absolutely! "Business" should be conducted privately.

Last edited by MarkOue; 04/05/22.

USMC Distinguished Marksman (Rifle)
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
CMP Distinguished .22 Pistol
Average hunter, at best... smile

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
At the very least, there's nothing wrong with sending a PM to see if offers are welcome.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG

Can't even crack a joke without someone getting their panties in a wad these days.

Now you've got a problem with wadded up panties? smile

I've never had a problem with panties! As long as it's a woman that's wearing them or a woman that's not wearing them! grin

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
What about the "Hammer" guy who makes half price offers in the open forum? He doesn't even get a mention in this thread until now?

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dinny
What about the "Hammer" guy who makes half price offers in the open forum? He doesn't even get a mention in this thread until now?

KLM practically mentioned him by name. grin

Originally Posted by KLM
IMHO the important factor is to make your offer through a PM. Low class to post an offer in the WTS thread.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think what is really inconsiderate of others, are guys bumping their ads after only a few hours or a day or two.....pushing other guy's ads back.

Some guys will bump their ads over and over again, but never think to maybe lower their price. I find that quite annoying and inconsiderate to other sellers on the board.

I won't mention any names, but there is one guy here, that asks 20% over retail for his stuff, then bumps his ads over and over again, driving other's ads rapidly to the bottom.

Tony

Last edited by TonyRumore; 04/05/22.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Tony,
If you're describing who I think you're describing, that guy has something like 12,000 posts where 2000 of them are new posts and 10,000 are BTT, then his first name.

Medics bury their mistakes..
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Offers thru pm are standard practice

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I 100% agree that offers or negotiations are acceptable through PM only. I wouldn't respond to an offer posted on a for sale thread. Glad I'm not the only one that has noticed that there have been a lot of listings in the classifieds lately that seem to be noticeably overpriced but the bottom line is people can ask whatever they want for their stuff.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by KLM

+1

"We don't rent pigs"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have made and accepted PM 'offers'....

I have turned down and been turned down on PM offers...

RE: BTTs, not everyone has the same 24HCF 'schedule' some are daily, ALL day. Some people here actually have jobs and don't have the luxury of lurking all day. Some are truckers and such with similar schedules and can't even get to the fire daily.

And then you have people posting in the Eastern time zone, and some in Alaska Time Zone. Where 'evening' for me is near lunch time for Alaska....

Btt just keeps it in the forefront....

IMHO, the CF Classifieds work pretty well. SOME sites require that WTS or WTB appear in the Ad Title, and if you don't the Ad is removed...... While I might think it a good idea, removing the Ad just because it's not there seems a bit naziish....

To date EVERYTHING that I have offered and/or sold has the shipping included in the price, makes it easier in my mind. Especially with flat rate shipping.

YMMV, JMHO, Muffin

Last edited by Muffin; 04/05/22.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Nothing wrong with a PM counteroffers

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
This place beats all hell out of Gunbroker and such. Never have I had a disappointing transaction that wasn't worked out amicably- but those few that could've gone south were settled via PM's. Never would I consider negotiating in public.

That said, anybody need a Mini-14 with a carburetor off of a '63 Impala mounted on it?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Etiquette shmetiquette. If seller doesn’t specify I’ll Take It or any other absolute, then it’s up to seller who gets it. Totally. It’s just stuff. As far as offers go make it private.

And as far as Jewish jokes go did you hear how the Grand Canyon came to be??

A Jewish pawnbroker dropped a dime down a gopher hole. 😂🤣😅

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
offer through Pm, no need for negative comments (crap on) especially public. I usually offer trades through PM so as not to hijack someone else's thread

I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride my motorcycle
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Offer cash or a trade through PM is my preferred way to do business. After all, once I start communication with a OP, it is our business and all the unnecessary comments that usually appear in a thread serve no purpose. You all know the deal, stuff like “I had one of those and it is nice, piece of crap, worthless, overpriced, killed a big deer with it, etc… “

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bobmar
Originally Posted by Daveh
After the PM, if a price is agreed upon, don't forget the public "I'll take it"

Not required unless the seller says so…The seller can always just post a SOLD….

That's true. Just more proper etiquette IMO.

I’ve bought and sold many things on here over the years and I agree wholeheartedly with what’s been stated. However, on several occasions I’ve posted that I’d take a particular item, only to be told by the seller that it had been sold. Nobody posted that they would take it and the seller never stated that it was no longer available. Not the end of the world…but since we’re discussing etiquette, I think it’s worth adding.

If it gets sold while you are Haggling , then you are the LOSER. to The I will take it timeer..

Last edited by Hubert; 04/06/22.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I thought "PM sent" meant the same as "I'll take it".

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,102
Posts18,522,319
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.