Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
If more Campfire members bought Bryan Litz's excellent books and actually read them, we wouldn't get nearly as many posts asking about this sort of stuff.

But then, isn't the Internet all about "free advice"?

If everyone bought your books (and actually read them), then no one would be asking any questions at all...and we wouldn't need a forum!

But then again, we'd want a forum so we could argue about stuff.

grin

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If more Campfire members bought Bryan Litz's excellent books and actually read them, we wouldn't get nearly as many posts asking about this sort of stuff.

But then, isn't the Internet all about "free advice"?

Yes....the map on what works for Sg and the factors that contribute to it has been well drawn by many over the years. JBM's excellent site is a great resourse.

Add to the above "free advice" and Urban Legend that need to go the way of the marsupial wolf: bullet weight (it's the length, not the weight that matters), 'cheek weld', 'incipient case seperation', 'excessive head space', and my favorite....'if I do my part'.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, Al--and RiverRider!

I use both Berger's and JBM's calculators--but prefer JBM's twist-rate when using plastic-tipped bullets, as they have an offset for 'em. As the late Don Miller discovered after he came up with the twist-rate formula most computer formulas are now based on, plastic tips don't count nearly as much in overall length as "metal."

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Al--and RiverRider!

I use both Berger's and JBM's calculators--but prefer JBM's twist-rate when using plastic-tipped bullets, as they have an offset for 'em. As the late Don Miller discovered after he came up with the twist-rate formula most computer formulas are now based on, plastic tips don't count nearly as much in overall length as "metal."

John

Agreed on the JBM data! Dovetailing from the late Dr. Robert McCoy's work on Sg (McDrag and McGyro), JBM has done a wonderful job. I find it much more reliable than other programs that consider an Sg of 1.5 as the lower threshold for stability.

JBM's bullet data base alone is very impressive. And as a particular bullet evolves, JBM stays up to date with the changes.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

263 members (12344mag, 160user, 21, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,714 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,452
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.