B
Originally Posted by ElkSnort
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Here's one in .280 Rem ....

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/932595534

Oh, that is clean! Nice rifle. Someone here mentioned wanting a 280. Can't remember who it was though. Next question: I wonder how much they want for the model 52 though??

It's too bad the Win. .280s are 1:10 twist. Doesn't really give it much advantage over the .270!

You've got a fetish for all Winnies I see... lol
Ha ha. I like good deals and great shooting rifles buddy. I don't know about "fetish". Now I wished I still lived close to my buddy that has his FFL. Im about ready to get my own!!

Just watch that fever turn into a full blown sickness! I'd get into way too much trouble if I had my FFL.
Ha ha. Been doing this for a long time buddy... I buy right. The most recent rifle I bought I paid $900 for and sold the scope tonight, also in the process of selling the mounts and rings. I'll end up having roughly $300 into the rifle and it's still worth over $1,000.00. That's just how I roll.. No other way to do things. Moral of the story: I don't just go off and willy nilly buy chidt... I do buy things that are good deals though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I'm going to have to glass bed this 270 as it came with the $hitty hot glue "bed job". Even though I fully intend to hunt this rifle, will bedding it also decrease its value in the long run?

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I want to remove the Leupy steel rings and bases as I like Talleys. Wouldn't ya know it? I can't get the base screws out! There's no corrosion on the rifle. Me thinks the prior owner might've used the wrong loctite! I'm not sure what to do now. I'd rather not have to get them drilled out. My luck has been poor lately with stuck base screws on old rifles!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Heat.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Heat.

Would you recommend using a soldering iron on the screw?

The other rifle I had problems with was a Savage 99. I tried heat and penetrating oil. Neither method worked. I think that screw was corroded as it had never been removed since it was produced. In the end, I sold it and let the buyer deal with it.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm going to have to glass bed this 270 as it came with the $hitty hot glue "bed job". Even though I fully intend to hunt this rifle, will bedding it also decrease its value in the long run?

It entirely depends on how good of a job you do. They come bedded from the factory and it is a chidt job 99.9% of the time, plus what they use as a bedding compound is crap. So a good bedding job is not going to hurt its value one bit. That is a Mcmillan stock. Treat it right with a good bedding job. A lot of guys use gray marine tex on them. Works very well.
I want to remove the Leupy steel rings and bases as I like Talleys. Wouldn't ya know it? I can't get the base screws out! There's no corrosion on the rifle. Me thinks the prior owner might've used the wrong loctite! I'm not sure what to do now. I'd rather not have to get them drilled out. My luck has been poor lately with stuck base screws on old rifles!

Use a soldering iron on the screw. The direct heat on the screw will help. Another thing I use is a mini manual impact driver. I recently had an issue when I took the factory rail off of one of my Tikka CTR's. That sob was on so tight and I was impatient and screwed up one of the screws. After that it was too late. I used my soldering iron on the rest of them and they came out with no issue. I had to drill the head of the bad screw off and then drill the center of the screw so that I could use a very small screw extractor to get the rest out. I'll admit when I screw up, but got it fixed without any damage to my rifle or even the mount. I am now using the mount on my new Tikka 204 Ruger. Also the new 20 moa rail on the CTR is working like a champ with the new NF Atacr on top. That rifle is still a shooting sob. Damn glad I did not mess that rifle up. I would have felt like real chidt:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That rifle is hanging with many custom rifles I shoot against. The guys I shoot with are starting to wonder... ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,640
Posts18,493,181
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.