Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
blush

Can a set of bull Elk antlers (lets say 325") with the skull attached fit inside a 5th gen Toyota 4runner? The rear seats will be folded down and gear with coolers will be in there too.

Plan on using the roof rack if I get lucky?

smirk

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
325? Really depends on antler conformation. How wide, long etc.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This was around a 300’ish bull in the back of my old 05 Unlimited

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

It was tight but with the rear seat removed it worked fine. I’d think the 4Runner is similar in size.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Maybe.

Check state laws on moving bone across state lines. Skull cap OK, unprocessed skull, not OK in many states.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
blush

Can a set of bull Elk antlers (lets say 325") with the skull attached fit inside a 5th gen Toyota 4runner? The rear seats will be folded down and gear with coolers will be in there too.

Plan on using the roof rack if I get lucky?

smirk

Yes.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Who'd you end up booking your hunt with?

Use the roof rack either way. Always loved seeing elk horns going down the interstate.

He went over yonder way
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
If you carry them on the top, take them inside if you’re stopping overnight enroute. I always take guns in too.

I believe Arkansas has a regulation about transporting antlers and skull, etc due to CWD. There were some cases a few years ago about guys stopping to eat and their racks and meat were confiscated when a warden happened to see them in their vehicle.

I’ve carried them inside a GMC Acadia with three big coolers as well. Put the coolers in with the drain plugs facing the rear door where you can just pull them aft a bit and drain any water from melted ice as required. Then fit the antlers in and pack around them. Soft bags beat suitcases by a mile when it comes to packing.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho prohibits entering the state with the brains or spinal tissue if the animal comes from a state with documented CWD.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They might fit inside but for sure can be strapped to the roof rack. Bring some ratchet straps and rope and you will be fine. Regarding the skull/CWD issue if you don’t skull cap it and want the full skull for a euro mount. Just bring a metal coat hanger and drill and it’s easy to remove the brain and you are good to go.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 805
They might fit inside but for sure can be strapped to the roof rack. Bring some ratchet straps and rope and you will be fine. Regarding the skull/CWD issue if you don’t skull cap it and want the full skull for a euro mount. Just bring a metal coat hanger and drill and it’s easy to remove the brain and you are good to go.

That skull will still be confiscated in many states.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by 805

I transport every elk I’ve killed in the back of my truck all the way to GA, including those killed on the ranch Sako is hunting this fall. My route takes me through Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Memphis, Mississippi and Alabama. Six months ago more mine rode back just fine. I pulled into several spots to gas up, eat, etc and not one LEO or GW had anything to say but congratulations and lets hear the story….

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 805

Just curious why would it be confiscated? Most states are no spinal cord/brain matter.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I know NC says all meat must be deboned and skulls have to be clean i.e. no brain and no traces of meat. Hard to clean a skull in a mattef of a few days.

They even want you to label coolers with hunter info, state harvested.

https://www.ncwildlife.org/Hunting/Chronic-Wasting-Disease/CWD-Related-Regulations

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by 805

I transport every elk I’ve killed in the back of my truck all the way to GA, including those killed on the ranch Sako is hunting this fall. My route takes me through Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Memphis, Mississippi and Alabama. Six months ago more mine rode back just fine. I pulled into several spots to gas up, eat, etc and not one LEO or GW had anything to say but congratulations and lets hear the story….

Pretty much the same experience, only different states. I have driven with multiple times with multiple elk racks in the back of my truck, from New Mexico, through, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, and Minnesota. The racks were very visible to others that we passed or passed us on the hiway.

NRA Patron
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I know NC says all meat must be deboned and skulls have to be clean i.e. no brain and no traces of meat. Hard to clean a skull in a mattef of a few days.

They even want you to label coolers with hunter info, state harvested.

https://www.ncwildlife.org/Hunting/Chronic-Wasting-Disease/CWD-Related-Regulations

A little time with a Havalon and most meat on a skull is pretty much gone. I do know some people bring a pot and burner and simmer them on-site also.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You can get most with a garden hose and maybe a screw driver .

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Many SE states are processed taxidermy only. Or skull plate that is cleaned. I'm not saying GW enforce it, but get ready for it. I know a guy who went through alabama and had a deer skull and all his meat confiscated.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Many states, no non-taxidermy bone is allowed from out of state.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Your skull will be cleaned… hide, brains, and for the most part be relatively clean if you choose to euro. If you choose to mount your bull it will be caped, and cut appropriately therefor clean as well.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Greg.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 38 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.