Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by losttrail60
Originally Posted by ingwe
I couldn't imagine giving up hunting in Montana for a game farm hunt in Texas.

To each there own I guess.

There, their, they're...don't jump to conclusions.....

Sitting in a box blind inside a high fence is not for me. I’ve seen it first hand. I’ll stick to Montana mountains and elk and deer.

Maybe ok for some.

How about sitting in a stand on a no fence ranch where axis have been there for 50 years free range?

GreggH

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by GreggH
I couldn't imagine giving up hunting in Montana for a game farm hunt in Texas.

To each there own I guess.

There, their, they're...don't jump to conclusions.....

Sitting in a box blind inside a high fence is not for me. I’ve seen it first hand. I’ll stick to Montana mountains and elk and deer.

Maybe ok for some.

How about sitting in a stand on a no fence ranch where axis have been there for 50 years free range?

GreggH

Nope

Sitting a box blind for a non native critter does nothing for me. I will stick to the mountains and my deer and elk.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Nope

Sitting a box blind for a non native critter does nothing for me. I will stick to the mountains and my deer and elk.

Well then, perhaps you should be posting on the deer and elk hunting forums and quit trolling this one.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Nilgai is on the list for me.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Nope

Well then, perhaps you should be posting on the deer and elk hunting forums and quit trolling this one.

Some may not know this but elk and deer are considered big game and this is the big game forum so that box is checked.

The OP asked if hunting exotics were worth a run, I stated my opinion that for me it was not. Next box checked.

Carry on.

Last edited by losttrail60; 04/20/22.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i like the pictures and someday maybe even next winter want to go hunt Nilgai and maybe a few other neat animals too . i sit in a so called box blind for deer now and shoot some very nice Whitetail bucks . thanks for posting the pictures. Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 04/20/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Nope

Some may not know this but elk and deer are considered big game and this is the big game forum so that box is checked.

The OP asked if hunting exotics were worth a run, I stated my opinion that for me it was not. Next box checked.

Carry on.

Perhaps I should have said "thread" instead of forum. My bad.

GFY

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Nope

Carry on.

Perhaps I should have said "thread" instead of forum. My bad.

GFY

LOL

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I talked to a guy from Texas who was paid to shoot Aoudad from planes. He claimed to have shot hundreds that way.

The Santa Rosa ranch down in Kenedy county was doing the same thing to Nilgai because of the tick fever. They were using choppers. I put down a young bull suspected of having tick fever this past season. He was a really sick fellow. Poor guy.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I talked to a guy from Texas who was paid to shoot Aoudad from planes. He claimed to have shot hundreds that way.

The Santa Rosa ranch down in Kenedy county was doing the same thing to Nilgai because of the tick fever. They were using choppers. I put down a young bull suspected of having tick fever this past season. He was a really sick fellow. Poor guy.

Nilgai took a pretty big hit in South Texas during last years hard freeze but still a very huntable population. They are not only on high fence ranches but since the majority of Texas is private property, you will still have to pay for most hunts. Our hunter's favorite meal is not beef ribeye night but nilgai and axis hamburger night.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JLimbo
This one is my first, hopefully of many. Was free range and delicious. Very close in flavor to my Scimitar Oryx also taken inTx.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Not to thread jump but I need to hear about that drop tine whitetail in the back! shocked

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The good thing about exotics in TX is you can hunt them year round. So if you want to go hunting and the season is closed in your state you can hunt in TX and you don't have to buy the regular non-resident license. If you want to test bullets or loads on game rather than paper TX has that covered. And you can make it as hard or as easy as you want. Yes there are high fenced places with blinds but you can also go for things like aoudad in the Davis Mountains and that is some really rugged country. I grew up in Co and hunted mule deer and elk yearly and also pulled a bighorn and mountain goat tag. The Davis Mountains are every bit as tough to hunt as the Rockies, they just aren't as high and don't get much in the way of snow.

TX provides opportunities to hunt that most states do not.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by hanco
Axis is great eating, Aoudads are not, Black buck wasn’t too good either.

I gotta disagree with you Hanco. My buddy shot an Aoudad this year and it was some of the finest meat I’ve ever eaten in my life. Even my picky wife and daughter thought it was incredibly delicious. They won’t even eat venison anymore. I think a lot of it had to do with field preparation?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've hunted exotics several times. My largest trophy was a 355 lb red stag with 12 points on antlers. I've also hunted fallow stag and a female Pere' David deer (meat hunt). All these hunts took place on ranches well over 400 acres. I chose to hunt with my 30-30 carbine to make it more challenging to have a good shot within reasonable distance. I had a great time and brought home much meat. Sometimes discounted hunts are available for animals with broken antlers from fighting during the rut. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I have admired axis deer for many years but never hunted them. They're very numerous in Florida.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

I gotta disagree with you Hanco. My buddy shot an Aoudad this year and it was some of the finest meat I’ve ever eaten in my life. Even my picky wife and daughter thought it was incredibly delicious. They won’t even eat venison anymore. I think a lot of it had to do with field preparation?

Maybe so, damn few people eat them. Are you sure it was an Aoudad?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 04/21/22.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Hanco-

I agree. A rancher asked me to shoot any Aoudad I saw. Shot 2 nanny's about to pop out a kid. Wasn't fit to eat even for tacos. Tried to give them away and the all the locals said they would pass and smiled. They didn't taste like anything edible. Someone suggested grinding into sausage. Maybe that works. I'm happy for those that have had good ones to eat. I'd like to know what those critters were eating. Maybe sweet feed?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Several boys on deer lease have tried, even small Dads, they gave up! Maybe we don’t know cshit about cooking???

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

Maybe so, damn few people eat them. Are you sure it was an Aoudad?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

LOL, yes I’m sure. I think people repeat things they hear over and over without any real experience of it themselves. Not saying that’s the case with you but maybe others who’ve heard it and never actually tried it just parroting what they’ve heard from others.

Also, I bet the majority who have tried it and gotten bad results didn’t really put a lot of thought into prepping the carcass immediately after the shot. Doesn’t take meat long to spoil in the southwest sun.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well, I've killed over 100 aoudad, culling as many as I possibly could from friend's places who hated them with a passion. They told us to kill all of them if we could (no way possible) so we tried. That was over a 20 year period. I've tried every way possible and I've personally never found one remotely close to what I'd call good eating.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Well, I've killed over 100 aoudad, culling as many as I possibly could from friend's places who hated them with a passion. They told us to kill all of them if we could (no way possible) so we tried. That was over a 20 year period. I've tried every way possible and I've personally never found one remotely close to what I'd call good eating.

What can I tell you? Completely different experience here and at my buddy’s place. He’s got two young girls and a wife and they had the same results there. No hint of a “gamey” flavor and honestly as I said before some of the finest meat of any kind I’ve ever tasted. No strong flavor to it at all. And I’m saying this with a wife and kid that don’t even like oryx. I found I liked it better than oryx myself.

Maybe he lucked out and shot the one magic unicorn-Aoudad on earth that tastes good? Lol

I seriously doubt it though and I’m gonna try my damndest to get one of my own from now on. So by all means you guys please keep telling anyone who’ll listen how shiddy they taste. It’ll keep the competition down… 🤣

Last edited by Dryfly24; 04/21/22.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,044
Posts18,500,862
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.