-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't turn rotors - they're usually cheap and just replace them.

Pads, rotors and MAYBE an hour of time per position for me and it's never even been close to 1k.

I can think of 1 time ever I replaced calipers but that's because they were shot. I don't do calipers unless there's a compelling reason. In this one case, the pucks wouldn't retract to allow pad replacement. She had gone WAY too long before doing brakes (whole car was a mess)

Me

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I almost never turn rotors... Anyone still do that by default?

Just as cheap to buy new if you need them, think I paid about fifty bucks a rotor for my dually.

Yepp... $38 at Rock Auto for Raybestous 1997 Dodge 3500... ordered a few spares 2-3 months ago.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.autoshack.com/Auto/Brakes/Discs-Rotors-Hardware

Best prices I've found online recently.
Quick shippers too.

Front Disc Brake Rotors and Ceramic Pads Kit, Driver and Passenger Side

$72.81

[Linked Image from autoshack.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal

Pads, rotors and MAYBE an hour of time per position for me and it's never even been close to 1k.

I can think of 1 time ever I replaced calipers but that's because they were shot. I don't do calipers unless there's a compelling reason. In this one case, the pucks wouldn't retract to allow pad replacement. She had gone WAY too long before doing brakes (whole car was a mess)

Replaced a caliper one time and it turned out that the rubber line to the caliper was my problem, wouldn't let the piston retract and ate up a set of pads in about a months time.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antlers
Why not just replace the pads, and leave the brake fluid be…? Just fill the reservoir up if it’s low.

Most brake fluid is hydroscopic (it absorbs moisture) which will ruin calipers and master cylinders... best to change at brake service time... Schit that squirts out of the bleeders will be ugly...

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Teal

Replaced a caliper one time and it turned out that the rubber line to the caliper was my problem, wouldn't let the piston retract and ate up a set of pads in about a months time.

They quoted her 1300 for brakes on her Passatt. I did all 4 positions, including just rear calipers for 400, if I remember right. Was back in 2006.

Me

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
To have a local garage do it. In the vicinity of $550 +/- per axle. If they find problems, well you know...

To do yourself, a little less than 1/2 of the above with new pads and rotors. Keep in mind the rotor mounting surfaces and axle hub have to be free of rust or you could induce rotor run-out

You shouldn't need brake fluid unless you are losing it somewhere.

Do you have any specialty tools should they be required?

If you've not done brakes before call on a buddy who has and/or get a good repair manual.

Dirty job...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
On newer vehicles with electric parking brakes on the rears, brake pad changes can be a challenge.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
1200 bucks to do a routine pad swap is highway robbery! If that includes replacing all 4 calipers, rotors, pads, etc... it still seems a little high.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve been drivin’ for 46 years and have replaced a lotta pads on a lotta vehicles. Never, ever replaced a rotor or a caliper though. And never, ever replaced brake fluid either. And I’ve never had a single rotor turned either. And I’ve never had a problem with brakes at all, other than to simply replace worn pads.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntaholic
1200 bucks to do a routine pad swap is highway robbery! If that includes replacing all 4 calipers, rotors, pads, etc... it still seems a little high.

It's amazing how much people pay for simple automotive maintenance.

A wrench set and a couple YouTube videos have saved a lot of non-mechanics a lot of money.

My sister does her own break jobs and she's 58.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
1000 ought to do it.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I grew up in the car business... New cars, used cars and auto salvage, collision repair etc... cant count the brakes i've been in... and the # 1 cause for trouble was old brake fluid... followed by externally sticking calipers, and finally over tightening of lug nuts causing warped rotors...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You should be able to find YouTube videos taking you through the process, step-by-step, for your vehicle.

Order some copper grease to apply where the metal surface of pads touches the calipers. Also apply to the pins that hold the pads in place. This should eliminate break squeal. Do not get the grease on the stopping surface of the pads nor on the stopping surface of the rotors.

Very, very rare that you would need to replace the calipers.

5 years ago, the quote to do all four wheels on my Lexus IS was roughly $1300. Instead, purchased pads and rotors online. High performance parts - rotors are drilled and slotted. Far better longevity and stopping power than Lexus parts. I got 5 years and about 70,000 miles out of this set. Price 5 years ago was $368 for pads and rotors.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
I grew up in the car business... New cars, used cars and auto salvage, collision repair etc... cant count the brakes i've been in... and the # 1 cause for trouble was old brake fluid... followed by externally sticking calipers, and finally over tightening of lug nuts causing warped rotors...

How tight should lug nuts be torqued?

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by akasparky
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco

How tight should lug nuts be torqued?

depends on the vehicle, stud diameter ect, should be in the owners manual, service manual ect... i do most @ 90 to 100 ft lbs though for 1/2 inch studs... Heavy duty pick-ups will be more like 150 ft lbs...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by antlers
I’ve been drivin’ for 46 years and have replaced a lotta pads on a lotta vehicles. Never, ever replaced a rotor or a caliper though. And never, ever replaced brake fluid either. And I’ve never had a single rotor turned either. And I’ve never had a problem with brakes at all, other than to simply replace worn pads.

Old brake fluid absorbs water, that moisture is then on the steel pistons that press the pads against the rotors. Over time the piston gets corrosion on it causing the piston to not retract/relax, in turn causing constant drag/friction between pad & rotor. Which increases over time, a high mileage vehicles brakes can and do lock-up stopping the vehicle.
Also the added heat will overheat the wheel-bearings causing pre-mature wear.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
And yes ''turning rotors'' is a waste of time, I've ran stock rotors 150K+ miles and could have still kept running them.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$176 for pads and rotors on the front of a 20 year old gmc last week. Oriellly’s.

Seemed pricey.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Hard to find somebody to even turn drums and rotors anymore.

Some O'Reilly Auto stores offer the service. Had it done for both the car and truck when I last did the brakes on them.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,825
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.