Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

A client of one our regular hunters showed up with a brand new 300 Jarrett. After six shots, he hit the 100 yard 8" pie plate one time. Told me he was a better long range shooter, that's why he bought that rifle. Offered him my loaner 270 but that pissed him off. Missed the deer the next morning.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Most hunters that show up with a big boomer of some kind do not shoot it well, every year we talk the ones we can in to something more manageable, usually turns out better for them and us. Rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
these are like fishing stories. Two ways to look at it are; "The first liar always loses." The one I like the best is ... "the difference between a sea story and a fairytale are that the fairytale starts.."Once upon a time" and the sea story starts..."this ain't no s--t."
almost anywhere men gather, hunt camp, fishing hole, VFW whatever...tall tales are told. We all have a couple of friends who aren't nearly old enough to have done all the things in their stories.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If it wasn't for hunters, fisherman, and other liars none of us would have anyone to talk to. Count your blessings

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I honestly enjoy listening to tall hunting tales and war stories, most of them are very entertaining. But when the self claimed "lady killers" start talking I usually walk away

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In a Houston job I had back in the 80’s, the fun part was taking people hunting at the company ranch. We had offices all over the US, so other guys like me could invite guests to hunt also. The LA office guy brought a bunch of Californians to the south Texas ranch. It was quail season. The ranch was divided into color areas, and I had the red area and the west coast guys had the yellow zone. I knew there were few quail in the yellow zone, but they were on the Jeep radio chattering about all the quail they had shot. Everybody was limiting out. The red zone was the best quail zone, but we only had a few. Got back to the ranch house and they had killed an absolute truck load of Meadowlarks. Forever after that, Meadowlarks were referred to as “California Quail”.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

We do a lot of Quail hunting, we call Meadow Larks Democrat Quail, they are yellow breasted show the white tail flag when they fly and they are slow. Rio7

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by ingwe
OK heres my one and only. Gopher standing on a flat bare section 480 lasered yards away. 28mph wind. I have my .223 with new Burris BP scope on it to try, figured I could at least land one on the bare dirt, fire and adjust! So I touched one off.Killed the gopher, and he had to be the only sentient being on the face of the earth more surprised than me!

Got myself one of those tall tales:
I was sitting with a shooting buddy on a high bank overlooking a small river in the high desert about half way between Reno and Susanville. We spotted a jackrabbit below us on the other side of the river, going away at maybe 125 yards out. I placed both forearms on my raised knees and wrapped both hands around my little Walther PP .22LR. Keeping the front sight centered in the rear notch, I raised it above the notch “some,” placed the jackrabbit on top of the front sight and squeezed the trigger single action. Darned if I didn’t roll that jackrabbit. My buddy was thoroughly stunned. He told that story to nearly everyone who would hold still long enough to hear it, while I just stood by silently. I was certainly happy he didn’t ask me to do it again. Bullet had to go somewhere; bad day for that jackrabbit.

laugh

I had something similar...but different! I always used to carry and shoot a S&W M19 with a 6 inch Barrel. My shooting pard liked it so when the M66 came out He bought a 6 incher....clone to mine but in stainless. Hunting jackrabbits one day he asked if I wanted to try his new gun. Of course....as soon as I got my hands on it a jackrabbit bolted 15 feet away. No aim, just up with the gun and rolled the rabbit. Keeping my mouth shut, like you, I simply handed it right back to him and said ": nice gun"....like I did that schitt all the time..... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by prose
If it wasn't for hunters, fisherman, and other liars none of us would have anyone to talk to. Count your blessings

I usually start my stories with, "I've told this story so many times it might be true."

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems like for every great feat of extraordinary shooting I have in my history of hunting and shooting, there might just be an almost equal number of unexplainable epic failures…and this unfortunately is %100 true. Shot my biggest buck through an 8” section of his neck(all I had to aim at)between two big hickory trees, offhand from my knees, with my S&W 500 mag at 66 yards. Boom, plop. About 5 years before that I missed a “stone statue standing” big doe at about 45 yards with my tack driving .280 Rem Ruger 77! I’m sure if deer could tell stories her and her friends had a knee slapper there. Oh wait, I forgot that both situations were during a blinding snowstorm with 50 mph crosswinds with the sun in my eyes and shivering like a dog passin peach pits!

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
like the signature line

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know a guy who made a "700 yard running shot" on a Deer in a 300 yard long field

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Back in the 1970's I was hunting Blacktails in the Mumbo Basin with my father and two of his friends. We had been hunting a few days and had not seen any deer but had seen a lot of Blue Grouse so I decided to take my Ithica 37 12 GA pump and shoot me some grouse. This was a plain jane shotgun with a poly choke and no sights other than the standard bead on the poly choke. I threw 5 rifled slugs in my pocket just in case.

As luck would have it there were no grouse to be seen anywhere but as I peeked over the top of a ridge I saw a garden statue of a large 3X4 buck well over 100 yards below me. He was well beyond shotgun range but in my youth I just could not resist trying for him. I loaded 3 slugs in the gun and started shooting. I could see dust from the near misses all around him and he did not move a muscle. I loaded the final 2 slugs and on the 4th shot I broke his knee and he took off limping up hill to my right. I ran over to him and placed the final sulg in to his chest.

My dad was hunting with one of his friends and his friend stated "there goes that GD kid with that GD shotgun shooting at a GD deer." His other friend was below me on the hill and he told me later that he kicked a stump a half dozen times getting his ass kicking boot warmed up.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My son is friends with a very talented mechanic and expert bullschitter. He knows his automotive stuff and doesn’t BS too much about that, but OMG he is the biggest embellisher on every other subject! My son repeats all his bs and I rebut his crap at every opportunity. The wife complains that I fact check all the crap that is repeated. I tell her that I would rather he not turn into a bullschit artist like his buddy.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by okie john
Life is just too short to deal with these people. I just walk away while they're still talking.

Okie John

Agreed!

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
we had a young guy out here in the country we called Bullseye because opening day at sunset , Bullseye shot a little brown pet milk cow at around 200 yards in a farmer`s pasture. the farmer was crying and not very happy his uncle Larry had to deal with it.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
One day at the range, right before deer season, a goober came screeching into the parking lot in a cloud of gravel and dust. He hopped out , opened the trunk of the 70's vintage Caddy, and grabbed a M94 Winchester and a huge hunk of cardboard. We all stopped shooting, and he ran down to the 25 yard pistol target butts, unfolded the hunk of cardboard (which turned out to be a refrigerator carton), and retired to to the firing line. By now the rest of us had racked our guns and were watching with great intent. The fella quickly ripped a magazine-full at his "target" (and mind you he didn't load the gun there at the firing line - it was already loaded when he fished it out of his trunk), walked down and examined his target, and declared to one and all "that's good enough for me, see y'all in the woods next week". We watched as he waddled back to the Caddy (he was, er, rather stout), threw the rifle in the trunk, literally- and with no case, slammed the lid shut, hopped in the car and tore out of there much like he had when he arrived. The whole show took maybe 20 minutes total. We looked at each other, shook our heads, and walked over to dispose of the refrigerator carton he left behind. There was exactly two bullet holes in it out of the half dozen or so shots he fired, maybe a foot apart and a foot away from the penciled aiming point. At that point we stashed our guns in our cars, opened a cooler and popped a couple beers open. It took a while (patiently skirting the subject) before my buddy said, "Jesus, we forgot to ask him where he was gonna be hunting."

I wouldn't have told you where I was hunting anyhow.....none of y'all even said hi.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by pete53
we had a young guy out here in the country we called Bullseye because opening day at sunset , Bullseye shot a little brown pet milk cow at around 200 yards in a farmer`s pasture. the farmer was crying and not very happy his uncle Larry had to deal with it.

We had a guy in our group we called "Deadeye" for much the same reason. He drilled a prized show horse in the pre-dawn darkness one opening day morning. "Who the hell is shooting at this time of day", I thought. Timmy lost his hunting license for 5 years and had to make restitution to the tune of 20 thousand 1996 dollars, but it was a helluva shot in the dark at over 100 yards.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RIO7

We do a lot of Quail hunting, we call Meadow Larks Democrat Quail, they are yellow breasted show the white tail flag when they fly and they are slow. Rio7

That is so right....some have actually brought them back to camp. Let one guy clean one, not sure if he ate it or not. Another is the late evening dove hunts - it's not safe for those poor martins.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

At the time I would work for various Outfitters as a guide every fall, and was very seasoned at that point, was in my early 30's .
My first experience with a Safari Club hunter, involved a .375 H&H , a Polar bear and two dead moose.
The hunter had been hustled into our camp after killing a boar Polar bear, apparently it was # 28 on Safari club kill list and he needed # 29, a Shiras Bull Moose to earn his gold star, blue ribbon or something.
Moose season was opening the following day, and I had been watching a couple of bulls in a basin I knew quite well, all fall.
I found them , the very next morning in the predictable area. , set him up for a reasonably close shot , over a log , off my pack.
Both were visible, I made it clear which one was slightly better. I said OK when you can take the one one the left.....then the shooting started, he emptied the thing and both moose were hit, I was ticked off and dispatched them with my rifle, a lowly .270.
I let this Texan take the larger and I tagged the smaller.
He never apologized, he never helped in preparing them to get them out by pack horse, he never even looked up at our fabulous Rockies. ( I had to cape his for a shoulder mount)
As it turned out, it made Safari Club book, and he got his#29.
What a flipping hero, this guy, in my opinion didn't even like hunting.
I had to wonder what the Polar Bear guide had thought about this guy, I asked Tex how he liked the bear hunt and said it was killing a beef.
He looked cityish to me, and I doubt he had done that either , for he would of probably missed or wounded it too.Enjoy your day ...God Bless

Last edited by comerade; 04/28/22.
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (ATC, 38HBWC, 808outdoors, 35, 257_X_50, 12 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,025
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.