Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Amazing stories! While I've had several events in the past 60 years,
June of '80 and AK tried the hardest. My cousin and I drove up to Fairbanks from Casper to meet my dad's cousin for a Placer gold mining adventure. Just out of high school, my cousin was one year older. We drove 24 hrs a day to get there on time. On my turn, I fell asleep and woke to the sound of the truck mowing down scrub pines. I tried to get out, but the door was blocked by a 8' tall Boulder. No damage, missed it by inches. We continued on and met up in Fairbanks and headed towards Circle. We dropped our gear as we crossed Birch creek in the mountains. We had a 13' ft al+ canoe, the other three had a makeshift raft of tractor tubes and plywood. We had our gear and almost all of the food. We had 30 miles to float to where the 8" suction dredge had been heloed in, earlier that spring. We drug that canoe so much we popped several spar rivets, we had to fill the holes with pine and rubber cement. My closest call was as we came round a sharp bend, we ran into a snag. I was on the stern and was swept off, I grabbed a root and played bobber until my cousin could get back up to me. My hip waders trying to kill me by sucking me under the jam for what seemed like forever. He got close to me and held out an oar, I was so cold that I couldn't let go of the root, but finally did and made a desperate lunge, I don't know how I managed to grab it, but I did. He swung me over to the eddy. There were a couple other close calls that trip. We swamped the canoe and lost most of our food, I went up weighing 189, came back a month later at 154#. Our journal was pretty interesting.

"Damn right it's loaded, it makes a lousy club"
-JW
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
woke up one morning and my bed didn't seem the same and the room didn't either, I was laying on my stomach which I don't do. As I started to push myself up to see what the deal was I felt a hand on my back and a womans voice told me I was in the hospital and that I'd been in a traffic accident, then the lights went out. Sometime later I was awakened and asked who to call, as soon as I answered the lights went out again. I found out later that the priest (Catholic Hospital) called the Mrs. and told her to come right down, when she got there they weren't making any promises. After a few days and a few surgeries they moved me out of the ICU. I'm still undergoing treatment and therapy and have another major surgery coming up next month.
I still have no memory of the collision, I was on my motorcycle and was blindsided by an SUV, never saw it coming.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well.... thinking about it, I started young, being hit by a car on a dirt bike ( obviously I was the one in the wrong place at that one.). Hit my mom’s clothes line with a splitting maul at age 16: it came back as fast as it was going down and split my noggin open.

At 21 I was a bouncer when the locals decided to pick a fight with a motorcycle “gang”. That was exciting.

Various close calls driving motorcycles, cars and semi’s, but nothing most of us haven’t done.

Vibrio almost did me in, even with IV antibiotics for weeks. I recommend avoiding that.

DVT’s were probably the closest. Ended up with “multiple, bilateral embolisms”, anyone of which could have killed me if they had gone “right” to the Widow Maker instead of “left” to the lungs.

I suppose that means Someone still has plans for me, and I better get with it.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
06:22(am), 23 October, 1983.....Beirut, Lebanon.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GoWyo
Amazing stories! While I've had several events in the past 60 years,
June of '80 and AK tried the hardest. My cousin and I drove up to Fairbanks from Casper to meet my dad's cousin for a Placer gold mining adventure. Just out of high school, my cousin was one year older. We drove 24 hrs a day to get there on time. On my turn, I fell asleep and woke to the sound of the truck mowing down scrub pines. I tried to get out, but the door was blocked by a 8' tall Boulder. No damage, missed it by inches. We continued on and met up in Fairbanks and headed towards Circle. We dropped our gear as we crossed Birch creek in the mountains. We had a 13' ft al+ canoe, the other three had a makeshift raft of tractor tubes and plywood. We had our gear and almost all of the food. We had 30 miles to float to where the 8" suction dredge had been heloed in, earlier that spring. We drug that canoe so much we popped several spar rivets, we had to fill the holes with pine and rubber cement. My closest call was as we came round a sharp bend, we ran into a snag. I was on the stern and was swept off, I grabbed a root and played bobber until my cousin could get back up to me. My hip waders trying to kill me by sucking me under the jam for what seemed like forever. He got close to me and held out an oar, I was so cold that I couldn't let go of the root, but finally did and made a desperate lunge, I don't know how I managed to grab it, but I did. He swung me over to the eddy. There were a couple other close calls that trip. We swamped the canoe and lost most of our food, I went up weighing 189, came back a month later at 154#. Our journal was pretty interesting.

I've ran Birch Creek..I didn't die but there is a tricky spot or two along the way.
Hardest part for me was catching a ride hitchhiking from the takeout near Circle back to where we put in off the Steese Hyw., it's a long lonely road to be walking.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Nestucca
I’ve been shot at while archery hunting by a dope grower with a high powered rifle and survived two brown bear charges one while unarmed. But cutting timber for twenty five years all over the Northwest provided lots of really good chances to end up dead. It’s amazing how fast the human mind can process a situation and how fast you can react to it. I’m sure Digital Dan can relate as well as the fixed wing pilots that were in the [bleep] too. The crazy part is not getting scared until afterwards.

What qualifies as a "high powered rifle"?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tylerw02
Originally Posted by Nestucca
I’ve been shot at while archery hunting by a dope grower with a high powered rifle and survived two brown bear charges one while unarmed. But cutting timber for twenty five years all over the Northwest provided lots of really good chances to end up dead. It’s amazing how fast the human mind can process a situation and how fast you can react to it. I’m sure Digital Dan can relate as well as the fixed wing pilots that were in the [bleep] too. The crazy part is not getting scared until afterwards.

What qualifies as a "high powered rifle"?

super charged.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita
woke up one morning and my bed didn't seem the same and the room didn't either, I was laying on my stomach which I don't do. As I started to push myself up to see what the deal was I felt a hand on my back and a womans voice told me I was in the hospital and that I'd been in a traffic accident, then the lights went out. Sometime later I was awakened and asked who to call, as soon as I answered the lights went out again. I found out later that the priest (Catholic Hospital) called the Mrs. and told her to come right down, when she got there they weren't making any promises. After a few days and a few surgeries they moved me out of the ICU. I'm still undergoing treatment and therapy and have another major surgery coming up next month.
I still have no memory of the collision, I was on my motorcycle and was blindsided by an SUV, never saw it coming.

Hope you recover quickly. Bloody cagers!

Son has a permanent brain injury due to being blindsided by another bike! Wife hates then, I still ride......

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
So I got that going for me, which is nice.

P

I love a well placed Caddyshack quote... Great job...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Irving_D
We hired a apprentice that was color blind he wired the ground to the 480 tap of a transformer and I got hung up on it for about 10 seconds, I had a bleeding ulcer and ended up having a quart and a half of blood pumped out of my stomach. Most recently lost 3 fingers in a firewood accident. Lost a lot of blood

Reading along couldn't really pick a time, you jogged my memory.

18 years old working construction. We were installing 100 foot high
lights in a mall parking lot. I understood trouble shooting procedures,
could handle hooking up wires if I knew where...they had me doing all
kind of stuff over my laborers position.

One day they ask me to make some connections at the base of one of the
poles. "The power is off". (18, not an electrician, I took their word)

These poles were on a concrete base about 3 foot high and 3 foot around.
You stood on the base and worked through an access hole. I was holding onto the grounded steel pole as I reached into the hole to wire a breaker.

Somehow, someone overstripped a wire in a neighboring breaker and
I stuck my right ring finger on it. I was stuck.
Couldn't pull loose, I hurt from head to toe, just standing there screaming
getting juiced up. I knew if I didn't get loose, I was dead, so I just threw my whole body back as hard as I could. Fell off the cement and rolled.
By the time I jumped up, guys were running to me, I had my hand cupped in the other and between my legs. They kept trying to see it, I fought to keep from letting them. I was afraid parts were missing. A friend finally got me
to let him look, I just had a hole burned up into it.

It looked like the end of a 7018 rod that had been used.
Only a bigger scale.
Never got checked out, so no other damage.
Lucky, considering the hot was one one hand and the grounds in the other.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Took a direct hit by lightning while hiking the Appalachian Trail. To this day I can’t even take static electricity…

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
06:22(am), 23 October, 1983.....Beirut, Lebanon.

God Bless the Warriors, glad you made it through Brother.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
About drown Jan 1 1990 while duck hunting. Boat flipped and I was in the water for over an hour.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Too many.

That I'm here today is a wonder.

Knowing death is at your door changes a person. Some for the better, some for the worse.

Some of you guys know what I'm talking about.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A
Like the smell of Gasoline and being Upside Down..

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
In a coma for 3 weeks and had out of body experience. Heard people talking and crying about me and praying for me and then found out later when I came back that stuff had actually happened. Also had some one watching over me during that time and found out it was someone who had died a while back. It’s a long and involved experience and I just gave you all the cliff notes but that’s what happened and trust me it’s a bit life changing.

One of my dad's good friends died during heart surgery, was out 8 minutes or something like that, they brought him back. The story he told was crazy, He saw the gates of Heaven, but no one would open it for him, he was by himself. A lady came to his bedside and started reading his sons names off a scroll telling him about the sins of the father, etc. Said she was eating aborted fetuses from a gerber baby food jar. She was definitely not from Heaven. A bright light came from the other side of he bed and as it got brighter she would retreat into the shadows of the room. He got saved after that.

Last edited by killerv; 04/25/22.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I was sitting at a red light a few weeks ago with a city bus next to me, light turned green and we both started across the intersection. I heard brakes locking up, looked in rearview, some joker in an older dodge ram had ran the redlight doing 60ish and just missed Tboning me and hit the bus that was next to me. Thought about that for several days.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I was shot at while deer hunting. I'll never forget the sound of bullets whizzing by.

Last edited by killerv; 04/25/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by akrange
Like the smell of Gasoline and being Upside Down..

Now we're getting somewhere...

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Low level passes on occasion to draw ground fire...sometimes they obliged sometimes not ...

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1234, 257Bob, 22kHornet, 58 invisible), 2,787 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,594
Posts18,532,480
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.