Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a used Winchester Model 70 Stainless/Synthetic 375H&H a few years ago. I have tried to sight in the iron sights. At 25 yards, a Winchester 270gr softpoint, was several inches low. The adjustment screw on the folding rear sight could not be turned. I can't tell if a previous owner used LocTite. I can't break it free. I'm not wild that the rear sight is folding.

I purchased a NECG peepsight that attaches to Weaver/Warne scope bases. It also shot low. I adjusted the peep so far that the peep popped out of the base. Luckily, I found all the parts. I knew that this might be the case, that the front sight might have to be replaced. However, my friend in South Africa, does not recommend a peepsight.

I've looked at NEGC and Williams for appropriate front and rear sights. Nothing at Williams. I'm not sure NECG has a simple rear sight and front (with a hood) package that fits this barrel.

Does anyone have any experience with installing new sights on this rifle?

Thanks.

Well, I phoned NECG and the gentleman I spoke to was a wealth of information. It sounds like I need to go shooting again and take some precise measurements of the group location from aiming point. I also need to measure barrel dimensions at muzzle and at rear sight and also distance between sights. It sounds like they will be able to source good sights for me.

Last edited by AB2506; 03/23/22.
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
NECG offers some outstanding sight products and have excellent customer service. My main question from reading your post is....Does your friend in SA smoke crack? I'm genuinely curious as to what his issue might be with peep sights. I've got NECG banded front sights on a variety of rifles. The only thing I would advise is dump the hood and don't use a fiber optic. The hood collect junk which you won't notice until you try to shoot, and the fiber optics are pretty fragile. I broke a number of them before giving up on the idea.

If you call Williams, they should be able to set you up with an appropriate height bead. Their sights fit the Winchester bases perfectly. I think Winchester may have used Williams sights at one point. Another option, if you like a blade front is to call XS, as they will also be able to set you up with the correct height sight insert which will fit your base. Unless you really want a bead, this is perhaps the best way to go. The XS is very rugged, narrow enough for fine sighting, and has a white stripe down the middle which helps with aiming in a variety of lighting conditions.

If you can find or borrow a sight pusher, do so. It will make the installation much easier. Also, if you really like the NECG banded front and want to go that route it's pretty simple to install one yourself. Here's a link to a thread where I show how I do it. I've now done four or five rifles this way. They've seen some hard use here with no problems. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15288546/1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All of my centerfire rifles that have iron sights have been replaced with the XS front flat post with white out line. XS will sell you plastic front sight inserts that fit in your front sight dove tail and you can cut them off with finger nail clippers to get elevation correct and and use as a reference for your correct front sight height.

These handy little throw away inserts make it easy to get front sight heights right as all you do is match your iron sight height to them. I have peep sights on several lever guns and one bolt gun. I see better in low light with regular iron sights and the wide old style V found on safari riles. But, they are not as precise as distance increases for most shooters.

AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
"My main question from reading your post is....Does your friend in SA smoke crack? I'm genuinely curious as to what his issue might be with peep sights."

He's speaking from the perspective of hunting dangerous game (buffalo). Maybe he's cocerned about the peep causing a smaller field of view? I don't quite understand myself, but I'm not a PH.

Regardless, The existing sights aren't good enough. I'll deal with them, then try the peep again.

Thanks for the info guys.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
AB, buy the blank blade from NECG, it's fits your factory model 70 rear sight base, i did the same thing, filed it dead on for 50 yards with 300gr solids at 2700 fps, Midwestgunworks.com sells a shorter front sight base as well as differing heights of beads you can drift in and out with a delrin punch, good luck!

If you want to PM me a cell number i'll shoot you a pic of my setup.

Last edited by gunner500; 03/29/22.

Trump Won!
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I went with front and rear sights from Jim Wisner on my 416 Rem M70. The front blade houses a 3/32" white bead from Marble's. The rear is Jim's remake of the pre-64 African sight. It has a vertical white line in the center to a shallow "V". The combo works very well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty much all my rear iron sights are peep. The only exceptions are folding sights on rifles with scopes.
Some may argue that a shallow ā€œVā€ sight is faster, but a peep ghost ring peep sight is mighty quick also at least for me.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
EdM that's a very nice looking rifle.

What stock is it?

Did the Wisner sights replace factory? If so, was it a straight swap?

Thanks, Chris

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Been using a peep sights since 1968.....first couple times hunting out West didn't own a scope and it didn't matter.....

Just get rid of your rear sight and install a NECG peep sight for a Weaver Base....I always carry one for my rifle just incase the scope docent work or I'am in heavy cover where a peep is just better.....great back up.....

https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/proddetail.php?prod=4200

Last edited by coyotewacker; 04/23/22.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
I went with front and rear sights from Jim Wisner on my 416 Rem M70. The front blade houses a 3/32" white bead from Marble's. The rear is Jim's remake of the pre-64 African sight. It has a vertical white line in the center to a shallow "V". The combo works very well.

Beautiful rifle Ed.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by rockdoc

What stock is it?

Thanks, Chris

The stock is a McM Winchester Express. The sights did replace factory but were not a straight swap.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by rockdoc

What stock is it?

Thanks, Chris

The stock is a McM Winchester Express. The sights did replace factory but were not a straight swap.

Thank you. Once again a very nice rifle.

What was required to replace rear sight?

I am looking for a British style shallow V rear and larger bead front sight for my 458 WM Safari Express. Front bead is too small, almost as small as a H&H typical front bead. I prefer around 0.1ā€ - aging eyes! 3/32ā€ should do.

Last edited by rockdoc; 04/23/22.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by EdM

šŸ‘

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My PH in Zimbabwe wanted it as it is fairly light, is well balanced, points very well and the stock allows a pretty good swap from scope to open sights regarding cheek placement. He was carrying a beautiful custom 416 Rigby built on a fairly rare Vector Magnum action. A beauty but a tank as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,395
Posts18,469,994
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.