D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For a portable filter I really like the sawyer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
Personal water filters that can be easily carried on your person for back country use.

I have two. One is a MSR Mini Works that I carry while on the move and is or was issued by the USMC, and the other is a Katadyn Base Camp when staying put in one place for periods of time longer than a night or two. The MSR is a ceramic filtered manual pump filter slightly taller than a pop can. It filters everything down to viruses.

The Katadyn Base Camp is basically a 2.5 - 3gal bag that utilizes the Katadyn Hiker Pro filter cartridge in the bottom and works on gravity. It filters everything except viruses. Fill it, hang it and let gravity do the work. I also have a 5-liter MSR water bladder that I fill up and use to stay ahead of the Katadyn if there are multiple users. Both filters produce about 1 liter of filtered water/minute. I've never noticed any excessive time to fill a 40 or 48oz water bottle. BTW, the MSR screws onto standard water bottles, the MSR water bladder, Camelbacks and other brands of hydration systems for filling. The Katadyn Base Camp seems to work faster if hung higher and with longer tubes attached. When stowed, both take up little room and add little weight to a pack. For the most part we aren't hiking any distance anyway and use ATVs or boats of one flavor or another when on the move.

The Katadyn filter can be sterilized for reuse by boiling it, but it should be changed after 200 liters anyway. Normally, I just toss it when I'm done using it and replace it with another before the next outing. I also carry a spare when oot and aboot especially in moose camp which can be a few days or up to 3-weeks. The MSR filter is cleaned by a Scotch pad and boiling after use. Using the scratchy pad takes ceramic material off off the filter element and MSR supplies a plastic gauge to determine when enough material is scratched away warranting replacement. Theoretically, the MSR should filter about 10k liters - depending on raw water quality - before wearing down enough to require replacement.

I also carry chorine dioxide tablets for the Katadyn in the event I suspect there may be viruses in the raw water supply. I've never used them in the years I've been using the Katadyn other than throwing one in the 5-liter MSR bladder as a precaution to keep the water stored in it from getting yukky. For proper treatment, use on tab per liter. I think I see a Steri-Pen in my future too.

Most of the concerns in AK are giardia and other bugs and bacteria. Viruses are pretty fragile in the outdoors and I would imagine are rarely present unless downstream from a garbage dump or sewerage plant.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by KFWA

I do have a couple of lifestraws in my G.O.O.D. bag

I have a lifestraw in each vehicle and more at home just in case.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Johnw,

I recommend a household unit to start and then a separate field unit. They don't have to cost a fortune. Most everyone is accustomed to chemical laden municipal water. Change to the top purification unit and you'll likely feel the difference as your body responds to the improvement. You'll never go back to tap water again.
Here's a couple of tests from a lab who wasn't sponsored by any companies. However, after a couple of years the owner decided to sell the best unit.
He tests glyphosate/ roundup contamination of water in the first battery of tests. The second link covers the broader range of contaminates.

https://healthrangerreport.com/glyphosate-testing-of-water-filters-heres-how-we-did-it

My home purification unit is the best money ever spent on health. I bought one many thousands of gallons ago and would buy one again if I had to start over. Here are the test results of it and the popular competitors.
https://www.waterfilterlabs.com

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 04/26/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gayd,

The devil has you up early working for him today.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"A naughty person, a wicked man, walketh with a froward mouth.
He winketh with his eyes, he speaketh with his feet, he teacheth with his fingers;
Frowardness is in his heart, he deviseth mischief continually; he soweth discord.
Therefore shall his calamity come suddenly; suddenly shall he be broken without remedy.
These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:...
A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren."

That's you Ring Wraith.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Katadyn and MSR make good backpacking water filters

I bought a Sweetwater a few years back when I was hiking with the scouts

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (470Evans, 2500HD, 160user, 10Glocks, 3dtestify, 44mc, 16 invisible), 1,522 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,262
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.