R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Ethonal free is 88 here

We have one place here that only has 88

And a Pure station that has all 3 grades of E Free.

The station that only has 88 is where I always get mine.

FJB & FJT
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Ethonal free is 88 here

That makes sense at your altitude...

Here we can get... 87, 89, 93 and 100 (Av-Gas).

I read somewhere once that ONE point of octane is lost per month of storage. Not sure if 100% true, but it does make sense. Ethanol is the real killer for most.

Southern States sells 50 Cetane diesel at 40 Cetane prices... It runs better in my rigs, but SS is a long haul... so not a purest there.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
This is a privatly run website and is NOT always accurate... but can be helpful some.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by viking
My fault, and I will admit it…

We had a major storm around here Saturday. Lots of power outages in some areas, some will be out for week or more.

I personally lost power for about 2 hours Sunday morning, no big deal. In the afternoon I went to start my champion generator (4000). I couldn’t get that fuqking thing started for the life of me. The last time I ran it, about a year ago, I shut the gas off and let it run dry. The only gas l use is premium.

So now I have to take the carb off and clean it up, or at least I think that’s the problem. The next time I get it running I will set a reminder in my phone and start that biotch up at least once a month. Letting those engines set is a death sentence. This modern gas is just trash.. I’m thinking dual fuel is the way to go.

I am thinking having another generator around is good insurance anyway.

Thanks KFWA, for shedding light on the inverters. Good to know.

Viking,

The idea that running schit dry (my dad still does this and it drives me fugking nuts) will benefit cold start up in the future, is a myth. If you have unstabilized/schit gas sitting in there, and it's allowed to dry, it will still corrode and clog jets. Conversely, if you have unstabilized/schit gas and it is left at capacity, you are going to have problems because it's going to break down and be worthless to you.

I highly recommend to everyone that if you have an emergency only generator, fill it with the store bought uber-fugking-duber schit. Yeah it might cost you $8.00 per half gallon but it will relieve you of the worry of having to start it every few weeks and make sure it still runs.

When time comes that you have to keep it churning for a few days, I've found it doesn't matter what you feed it. The higher the octane the better (mostly) but it should still always have Stabil in it. Always and forever.

When you shut it down and top it off for storage, fill it up with the premium schit again.

The higher the moisture content of your area, the more this is a concern. The dryer it is, the less you will ever have to worry about it.

Honda and Yamahas are great, but put that fuel and carb in a high moisture environment and they will go to fugk just like the rest of them. Same for giving them broken down fuel. They will not start.

Of course this pertains to carbs that aren't seeing daily use.

Clean your existing fuel system and give it a try. I bet it runs forever.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, I've read that the older Onan have really low THD and are in heavy demand by people.

I can't confirm that, but when I was researching which one I wanted to buy, there were multiple people saying if you had an older Onan you didn't need to buy an inverter - and this was for running whole house in the larger wattage sizes.

The first generator I bought years ago has a 6.5hp jiangdong motor.

It must be a honda clone because you can put a honda carburetor on it. At any rate, the thing is a champ. To test my transfer switch, I pulled it out, blew out all of the mouse nest and bird seed from it sitting in the garage untouched for 6 years, put some fresh gas in it and it started on the 4th pull. Was cleaning it up this weekend, started on the first pull.

All I've ever done is put sea foam in the tank, and run it with the gas off until the carb emptied before storing it.

I bought a new battery for the electric start. Not sure if that still works or not.

The only thing I have against it is the electricity is so "dirty" that I'm pretty sure it fried some capacitor type part on my fridge when I used it during the first extended power outage

Last edited by KFWA; 04/26/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Non ethanol fuel only. I have 30ish carburetors in my fleet and do not/will not put anything but clean fuel in them.

I run them dry. Fill, pop the bowl drain for a second to clear anything that dried up.....then start.

If I have a engine that is temperamental to starting cold, I flood it with propane from a weed burning torch.

If that doesn't start it, you have compression, ignition or timing problems.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you don't want to spend too much, I've had good luck with Champion Brand. You can buy 2 or 3 for the price of a Honda. There are several less expensive options, just look at reviews and you'll see some rise to the top. Some units are less complex, but make more noise, which is fine for emergencies if you don't live in a tightly packed town, and some are "inverter type" which are quieter, but usually more expensive. I have even heard good things about the Predator brand at Harbor Freight. If you aren't going to run them for a living, a cheaper Chinese clone will do fine. I have a Westinghouse clone that I like pretty well. It's the easiest starting one I've seen...usually first pull if it's not super cold, and then usually only two pulls.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ps, I have chainsaws with 5 year old non ethanol fuel in them that will light off in a few rips.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I just bought a Power Smart. 1/3 the cost of a Honda and just as quiet. 2200 watt peak,1900 watt running. A fellow on here put me on to one on Ebay. I payed $345 for it and it was priced at $500 on Amazon. Honda,you are paying for the brand, not the quality. Before you pay $1000 plus look at these and consider how much you will be running one. For a little more,you can get one that runs on gas or propane

https://www.amazon.com/PowerSmart-Portable-Generator-Inverter-Compliant/dp/B09QW8GW36/ref=sr_1_4?crid=39XL2PPIZ3D2H&keywords=powersmart+2200&qid=1650979616&sprefix=powe+smart+2%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-4

Here it is on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...&_nkw=Power+Smart+2200+&_sacat=0

I have Predator type that is like the ones Harbor Freight sells,but it is 2 stroke and 800 watts running.For $120 it works.I also have a 9000 W Champion I bought from Costco on sale for about $650.It runs then entire house. Shop around before you spend money on a Honda.

As others have stated,only run Ethanol free gas in any small engine, with maybe a little Stable in it

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/26/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

So now I have to take the carb off and clean it up, or at least I think that’s the problem. The next time I get it running I will set a reminder in my phone and start that biotch up at least once a month .

Our new Honda 2200i texts us periodically for maintenance.
It operates on Bluetooth. We named him Lenny and we get semi creepy texts from the basement, him demanding attention.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a 3500w Champion. I rarely use it but start it every month or so, especially in the winter. Sometimes when it's been sitting, it needs a tiny shot of starting fluid but then it takes right off. It gets non-al gas only. It's a little heavy to be called really portable but it's on wheels so I can drag it around.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by KRAKMT

So now I have to take the carb off and clean it up, or at least I think that’s the problem. The next time I get it running I will set a reminder in my phone and start that biotch up at least once a month .

Our new Honda 2200i texts us periodically for maintenance.
It operates on Bluetooth. We named him Lenny and we get semi creepy texts from the basement, him demanding attention.

Hahahaha!

Does it put the lotion on its skin?

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by high_country_
Ps, I have chainsaws with 5 year old non ethanol fuel in them that will light off in a few rips.

Nothing wrong with the way gas stores as long as it is ethanol free

Last edited by jwp475; 04/26/22.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by jwp475

Nothing wrong with the way gas stores a s long as it is ethanol free

For sure. My riding mower, push mower, big snow blower, chainsaws, weed whacker, leaf blower, and big generator all have ethanol free in them . Never have problem

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
had a gas station open up about 1/2 mile from my house last fall and it has ethanol free 90 octane. I've filled up my gas cans with it, so no everything small motor I run is using ethanol free. Its cost almost as much as premium though which kinda sucks

would gas companies even put ethanol in their gas if they weren't pushed to do by the government?

Last edited by KFWA; 04/26/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by KFWA
had a gas station open up about 1/2 mile from my house last fall and it has ethanol free 90 octane. I've filled up my gas cans with it, so no everything small motor I run is using ethanol free. Its cost almost as much as premium though which kinda sucks

would gas companies even put ethanol in their gas if they weren't pushed to do by the government?

Since much of annual corn production in the U.S. is sold for ethanol distillation, my guess is it's probably a pretty big benefit for grain farmers and no doubt has been a farm saver for some.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I wish we could get non-al here as cheap as premium. There are only a couple stations here that sell non-al and they price it like liquid bitcoin.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by joken2

Since much of annual corn production in the U.S. is sold for ethanol distillation, my guess is it's probably a pretty big benefit for grain farmers and no doubt has been a farm saver for some.

Is it your opinion that ethanol mandates imposed by .GOV were intended to help small farmers?

Not being a dick in that question... only curious on your thoughts. Thanks

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Ford wink

Only other option - Honda

My f150 makes 7.2 kwatts. I'm not sure how it works because I haven't used it yet but my main panel is set up to run a generator through it. I need to get the electrician out to put another part In the panel. I thought I'd paid when I built to have it set up and ready but surprise! I need a fee parts put in the panel still.

I'm not sure when it comes to portables what's different about the investor style but I know they are more expensive. I know you can daisy chain some smaller ones together too which seems like a good option.

Bb

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

Nothing wrong with the way gas stores as long as it is ethanol free

I buy ethanol free for all my small engines and add a bit of stable to the cans. I try to circulate it at least once a year even if that means pouring a few cans in the old hunting truck.

Bb

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 219DW, 204guy, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,600
Posts18,511,444
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.