W
No matter how dinged up we are.[img]https://i.imgur.com/lJuZ9KE.jpg?1[/img]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes it is, rolled a wd45 when I was about 11 and flipped an IH 20 years ago. That one cost me a ride to the hospital

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
#1 Near drowning at 4 years old.
#2 Totaled my car going over 100mph as a teenager.
#3 Been shot at. Siting in the passenger seat of a friends car. bullet hit 1 inch below the door handle.
Spent 25 years as a Firefighter/Paramedic.
#4 & #5 Both very close calls on structure fires during interior fire attack operations.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by reivertom
like a fire in a wall of a closet full of ammo and shelves of reloading powder, and we didn't realize it until we opened the door! Litterally dodged a bullet on that one!

Fire fighters really need to learn about ammo.

If you read my post, it wasn't just ammo, there was about 30 to 35 pounds of gunpowder including black powder in the closet with the ammo. It was reloading storage. Ammo alone mainly just pops off, and might just hit you with some small shrapnel, but 30 pounds of gunpowder is another thing. Modern smokeless may or may not explode in a situation like that, but they burn fast and hot if don't explode and only ignite. Next time you sit around a campfire, toss in a pound can of black powder. No don't.......you catch my drift.

Last edited by reivertom; 04/25/22.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BayouRover
For the last 2 1/2 years I've been on a slow decline thanks to an un-curable and in-operable cancer. I'm still looking down at the grass but I'm "aging" pretty fast. The rare cancer that I have is not treatable with chemo or radiation, and the location of the tumor makes it in-operable for a 73 year old man.
The good news is MA Anderson has kept me alive these 2.5 years with trial therapeutic drug treatments, but they too come with a physical price . There are no free lunches with cancer. One day at a time.........It is what it is.

I am so sorry to learn this and admire your forthrightness. It seems that most would find it very difficult to maintain such equanimity in he face of that diagnosis and what you are dealing with. Your sense of balance is a strong example - and I thank you for that. Hang in there as you are - will be thinking of you and praying for your peace and comfort.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by BayouRover
For the last 2 1/2 years I've been on a slow decline thanks to an un-curable and in-operable cancer. I'm still looking down at the grass but I'm "aging" pretty fast. The rare cancer that I have is not treatable with chemo or radiation, and the location of the tumor makes it in-operable for a 73 year old man.
The good news is MA Anderson has kept me alive these 2.5 years with trial therapeutic drug treatments, but they too come with a physical price . There are no free lunches with cancer. One day at a time.........It is what it is.

I am so sorry to learn this and admire your forthrightness. It seems that most would find it very difficult to maintain such equanimity in he face of that diagnosis and what you are dealing with. Your sense of balance is a strong example - and I thank you for that. Hang in there as you are - will be thinking of you and praying for your peace and comfort.

Bayou,

Prayers be with you, thru all of your physical tribulations...

Paul,

peace and good health be with you also my friend...and your lovely wife...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many times the good Lord has spared my life. I am very grateful.

It looks like I'm not the only one.
The few minutes to watch this might be well worth someone's time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
like a fire in a wall of a closet full of ammo and shelves of reloading powder, and we didn't realize it until we opened the door! Litterally dodged a bullet on that one!

If you read my post, it wasn't just ammo, there was about 30 to 35 pounds of gunpowder including black powder in the closet with the ammo. It was reloading storage. Ammo alone mainly just pops off, and might just hit you with some small shrapnel, but 30 pounds of gunpowder is another thing. Modern smokeless may or may not explode in a situation like that, but they burn fast and hot if don't explode and only ignite. Next time you sit around a campfire, toss in a pound can of black powder. No don't.......you catch my drift.

You were talking about dodging bullets, besides properly stored powders pose very little risk to a fire fighter, the packaging is designed to release pressure. Now storing powder in an ammo can makes for a different story.

A five gallon can of gas poses a hell of a lot more risk to a fire fighter than an 8lb can of H110.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
In 2019 I was preparing to go on my 21 day hunting trip to Alabama then to Ohio. About 4 days before I left I woke up with my left arm cold and in pain.
Got into my dont after a couple days. He sends me to the ER. They tell me my arm and hand are full of clot material. They say they are pretty sure they can save my arm but maybe not my hand. They operate four hrs after I arrive at the ER. I wake up and still have my hand. They say time will tell if I keep it. They also say they have to figure out the deal with the clots. They do some tests on my heart. They think but cant be sure that I had a virus in my heart which slowed down the pumping of blood. Clots formed and got in my arm. The test show signs of a blockage. They do a heart cath. Find an 80 percent blocked left artery. Rest of my heart is clean as a wistle. They stent the blockage. I tell the surgeon about my plan to go on that hunt and he tells me I would have likely or most certainly died on that hunt by a massive heart attack.
So Im in recovery the next month of December and end up going to Alabama in mid January for a week. While i am there I develop a pain in my left abdomen.
I suffer thru and come home. About a week later its getting worse. I take myself to the ER. They tell me I had them clots in my spleen from the heart condition and a small part of that spleen died. That it would eventually heal up. They release me. One week later I am in the ER again with unbearable pain. Then they say I have a huge abscess in my guts , my spleen is total dead and rotting as well as the top fifth of my stomach is fed by the same blood supply as my spleen and its dead and rotting as well. Next few days they try to fight infection so they can operate to remove my spleen, the abscess and part of my stomach. Two days later they lose that battle and they tell me I have full body septis infection. The two hr operation takes 9 hrs and I wake up and spend five days in the ICU. A month in the hospital and I get out. About 6 months to recover. Thats as close as I ever came to death.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Which time?

Fell off a bridge in TN as a teenager in the middle of the night after stopping to help with an accident on the interstate.

Found myself dumped into the Gallatin over Memorial Day weekend. Bow rope from the overturned raft was wrapped tightly around my ankle. Couldn't get it free as I floated downstream and knew there was a little dam just below me. Was sure if I didn't get clear of that rope, that it and the raft would kill me at the dam.

Screwed up and tried to cross a scree field in the Bridgers. Extremely steep and a lot of rough rocks straight down below about 600-800 feet. Got out there and realized, big mistake. Took me what seemed like an hour to gently, slowly extract myself.

Those are a few I recall off hand.

Montana MOFO
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Can you tell us about all the incredible hand of God intervention near death experiences you have had once again??
You know...
Just in case anyone has missed them in the past.
2 preachers trying to smother you with a pillow one maybe???
Or maybe the girlfriend poisined you one and how God led you to charcoal???
Or maybe the I Beam ko konked you on the head one ???
Maybe some others you can bless us with to show us how God is truly looking out for you.

Just to refresh us all please!!!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've woke up in ICU three times not knowing how the he'll I got there. Motorcycles, women and working the door can be rough on a man at times

Life is good live it while you can.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’m 43. At the age of 10 I went fishing with my grandparents. Pop let me drive the bass boat (like always). As we took off a spray of water triggered a heart condition nobody knew I had. My heart quit beating. My grandfather gave me cpr and brought me back. I’ll tell the story in detail if I get time later today.

My grandfather was a very well respected man. It tore me up when he passed 10 years ago. I did however have the opportunity to speak at his funeral in front of 400 friends and family. It was the absolute least I could do.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

You were talking about dodging bullets, besides properly stored powders pose very little risk to a fire fighter, the packaging is designed to release pressure. Now storing powder in an ammo can makes for a different story.

A five gallon can of gas poses a hell of a lot more risk to a fire fighter than an 8lb can of H110.

Yes, true, but it's not uncommon for nonprofessional firefighters, like most often are part of rural volunteer fire departments, to not know that, therefore may be reluctant to get close enough to a residential fire involving quantities of ammo, reloading supplies to effectively get control and hopefully extinguish fire.

A neighbor and myself had to break out a window of a home of a mutual friend that was on fire once, climb through into the house and remove his ammo and reloading supplies before the local volunteer firefighters would go inside and focus on putting the fire out where it actually was instead of standing outside at a 'safe' distance and hosing down the outside of the house.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Copying and pasting your own posts now?

Or are you just confused as to which account you are logged into?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Heart attack a few years ago.

That white light deal is real.

A couple of high-priced ball point pen springs and good to go again.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Copying and pasting your own posts now?

Or are you just confused as to which account you are logged into?

Naww.....
The person who fancies himself the 2nd son of God is just hiding his butt buddy anderson vids behind classes of african kids now.

Thats how desperate the deceiver billy boy wants attention.

Basically Billy/Crappy Hamster/ Barnabus/western juniper/ Theaveng has been reduced to a slimy fuuuck who lives in his own schitt floored cave on 24hr now......

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited by renegade50; 04/26/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Does having a pistol barrel at the back of my head, seven other weapons, laid across car hoods from the sheriff's officers that arrived for back up, and pointed at me, while being marched back up to my car after being handcuffed, and hoping the 8 month old lab on the front seat didn't spook Officer High and Tight Haircut into pulling a trigger count?

All on a case of mistaken identity.

Not sure, and didn't care at the time, if the orders were lawful or not. I was outnumbered and they had superior firepower. I obeyed.

Or............

nah, I won't relate that one...................yet. wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (17CalFan, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,187
Posts18,484,861
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.