Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
OP Offline
W
Hi All,

New here, but have been lurking in the shadows for a while now as this forum is a wealth of knowledge.

Apologies in advance if this topic has been beat to death (I've probably already read every thread about this). I have a new Model 70 Featherweight in .308 on it's way to me and I am having one hell of a time trying to decide on a scope for it.

This will be my new Deer rifle for the eastern woods of Nova Scotia. (For the guys in the States the hunting is very comparable to Maine/NH). Realistically my max shooting distance would be 200yds, with most shots being under 100yds. This is a light rifle, so I want a light scope. I've been bouncing back and forth between a Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x33mm or 3-9x40mm. Could someone show me how a 33mm scope looks on a bolt action? I know I really shouldn't be concerned about looks but I can't help but think a 33mm may look too small. On the other hand, the 3-9x40mm is probably the most common scope you will see on rifles up here, but I feel that it may be more than I need, hence why I'm looking at the smaller sizes. I'd love to get a VX-3HD 2.5-8x36mm but I'm having a hard time swallowing the extra $400 it would cost me to get it, so the Freedom line is more appealing.

This is my cry for help lol, I want this rifle to be my go-to "Do it all" rifle.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

There is no wifi in the wilderness, but you will find a better connection.
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
IIRC the 2x7 freedom scope has a very short mounting distance, just something to be aware of as it will not fit every rifle/base/ring combo.
The 3x9 only weighs perhaps a couple ounces more, is more forgiving on mounting, and cranked down to 3x gives you a pretty decent FOV.
FWIW I think the 2.5x8 looks perfect on a fwt, but they do cost more!

N
N
I hunt in the northwoods of WI. My vote would be for the 3x9x40. I've never been in a hunting situation where 3x was too much magnification. Conversely, all the magnification you can get helps with zeroing and load development if you handload. For this reason I tend to prefer 4-16x scopes.

However, the price difference I'm seeing for the Freedom line vs VX3HD line is $200 USD. Freedom is $300 vs $500 for VX3HD, so a $200 difference. I assume your prices are different because of being in Canada. Ask yourself this...how long will that scope be on that rifle? If the answer is "A long time", 5 yrs from now you won't remember the price difference of a few hundred dollars between the scope you really wanted vs the compromise option. Get what you actually want and you'll appreciate it for years. If there is any chance the rifle will be handed down, even more reason to buy the nice scope. I've never regretted a dollar I've put into nicer optics, but maybe that's just me.

Coincidentally, my rifle is a M70 Featherweight that I inherited from my Grandpa after he died. The rifle is from the late 70's and is completely gorgeous. The scope is a Balvar 8 from the 50's I think. Top of the line of its day I'm sure, as he spared no expense when it came to guns and I still hunt with it today. The scope view has yellowed a bit, and its not the clearest thing ever, but for its age it holds its own damn well. Every time I think of pulling it off and replacing it with a Zeiss or something else worthy of the rifle, I struggle with the idea of pulling Grandpa's old scope off. So, it probably won't ever be removed unless it breaks, so I'm glad it is as good an optic as it is. Something to consider.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
EVERY scope cited thus far,is a steaming piece of fhuqking schit. Hint.

Thank me later.

Just sayin'.

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed, there are better choices in those price ranges for light, durable scopes that actually work. But then for 200 yards just about anything will work....
Take a look at the Athlon, SWFA SS series, Arken, and a few others .

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Stick is right.

For a “do all” as you mentioned, I’d be sticking with the tried and true 3x9 personally. Look at Trijicon Accupoint. Or drop all the way down to a 1-6x lpvo like the Credo.

Just a fact, most sub $4-500 scopes are going to be junk. You are going to want to scrape up a bit more to get something reliable.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 04/20/22.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you have no aversion to used, look around for a Bushnell Elite 4200.

He went over yonder way
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I'd look hard at the Trijicon Accupoint 3x9 that was already mentioned. They can be had for well under $600 if you search online. I'd also recommend, if you are okay with used, a Weaver V10 or Bushnell Elite 4200/4500 - both made in Japan. I hunted with a Weaver V10 2-10x on my Winchester 70 in .280 Rem for years and killed a dozen deer on 2 power in the Pennsylvania woods. I also have a new make Model 70 in .243 with a VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm which has worked out well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Heeler
If you have no aversion to used, look around for a Bushnell Elite 4200.

Or even a 3200 3-9x40, or a Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex. A gloss one, if you can find it. Those are good solid less expensive options out there. I would not buy a new Leupold, especially one of the lower priced ones like the freedom model.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Stick is right.

For a “do all” as you mentioned, I’d be sticking with the tried and true 3x9 personally. Look at Trijicon Accupoint. Or drop all the way down to a 1-6x lpvo like the Credo.

Just a fact, most sub $4-500 scopes are going to be junk. You are going to want to scrape up a bit more to get something reliable.

Took the words right outta my mouth. Accupoint 3-9 with the green duplex at 13oz w/1” tube, or the Credo HX 1-6 30mm with the Hunter Holds reticle at 18oz. The HH reticle has an illuminated center dot atop a slightly thicker bottom post, hard to see in the pictures, but quite apparent in hand. The duplex in the 3-9 Accupoint is my favorite duplex, with the outer posts coming close enough to the center to be useful. The green dot is quite bright as long as you have some skylight, and no batteries.

I have two of the APs and one Credo HX 1-6.

EDIT: BSA is right about the Fullfield 3-9s too, if your budget is limited. I’ve had zero issues with both the original and an E1. I’ve just come to like the illumination of and the view through the Trijicons.

Last edited by Pappy348; 04/21/22.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by WoodsMaster902
Hi All,

New here, but have been lurking in the shadows for a while now as this forum is a wealth of knowledge.

Apologies in advance if this topic has been beat to death (I've probably already read every thread about this). I have a new Model 70 Featherweight in .308 on it's way to me and I am having one hell of a time trying to decide on a scope for it.

This will be my new Deer rifle for the eastern woods of Nova Scotia. (For the guys in the States the hunting is very comparable to Maine/NH). Realistically my max shooting distance would be 200yds, with most shots being under 100yds. This is a light rifle, so I want a light scope. I've been bouncing back and forth between a Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x33mm or 3-9x40mm. Could someone show me how a 33mm scope looks on a bolt action? I know I really shouldn't be concerned about looks but I can't help but think a 33mm may look too small. On the other hand, the 3-9x40mm is probably the most common scope you will see on rifles up here, but I feel that it may be more than I need, hence why I'm looking at the smaller sizes. I'd love to get a VX-3HD 2.5-8x36mm but I'm having a hard time swallowing the extra $400 it would cost me to get it, so the Freedom line is more appealing.

This is my cry for help lol, I want this rifle to be my go-to "Do it all" rifle.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

here's what a 3-9x33 looks like mounted on a Win 70 classic....
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
a 2.5-10x32 on a win 70 classic
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You didn't say if your rifle is a short or a long action. The Leupold VX-3HD 2.5-8x36mm is a short scope. It may span a long action (depending on the bases and rings), but you will likely have no room for forward for backward adjustment of the scope in the rings if standard bases are used. It will be where it will be and you'll just have to make yourself accomodate that. That scope will span a short action better and you'll have a little room for adjustment using standard bases. I recommend extended bases, though, as it really is a very short scope.

I have several Leupold VX-3HD 2.5-8x36mm scopes on various rifles. I use extended bases on all of them so I can adjust the scope back and forth for comfort.

Here's the scope on Browning X-Bolt .30-06. The rings are Warne steels on Warne steel bases. I had to turn the base around so that the scope would mount where I wanted it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have that scope on a couple of Winchester Model 70s, too. I use extended Talley steel bases regardless whether or not its a short of long action. Talley makes standard, extended and double extended steel bases for the M70.

Here's that scope on a M70 Featherweight .308 on an extended base.

Here's that scope on a Ruger M77 African 6.5x55 Swedish. Almost zero room for back and forth adjustment.

I like the Leupold VX-3HD 2.5-8x36mm scope. It's worked well for me. I don't do any really long range shooting so tracking has not been an issue for me. I zeroed it and leave it alone. It's held zero. I don't toss my rifles around, though.

I do like the Trijicon Accupoints better. I think they are overall better made scopes. I have a few of those on various rifles. They cost more than the Leupolds but I think they are better scopes. In fact, I replaced the Leupold on that M77 with Accupoint.

And I have one on a Sako Black Bear. It's onm an extended front Sako base. It's mounted a little high, which I like, and it also avoids the empties hiuting the underside of the scope.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
OP - I have had Leupold 2-7x33 and have, and still have, a lot of Leupold 3-9x40's. I opt for the 3-9x40 because for me the eyebox on them is a bit more forgiving then the 2-7x33. At 200 yards either of them should serve you well. If you want the best of both worlds though try to find a Leupold 6x36, they not only look good on a Win Fwt but they perform well.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

drover

Last edited by drover; 04/21/22.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

W
OP Offline
W
Thanks everyone for the very helpful feedback. Once again proving this forum is awesome!

I think I am slowly convincing myself to opt for the VX-3HD in 2.5-8x36mm as it seems to be the perfect companion for my short action .308. The 2-7x33mm is not far behind on that list however, so I'd say the only thing left for me to do is to go and get these scopes in my hands.

I think it's a bit of a shame these manufacturers are no longer making many of these lower powered scopes. I all else fails I'll probably put a 3-9 on and call it a day. Would it be ridiculous to make a 2-8x40mm scope? Seems like that would be the best of both worlds. Lower magnification but a nice "full" objective.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maven 2-10x38 has me curious. Sleek, low-ish powered, not a hubbel objective.

https://mavenbuilt.com/collections/riflescopes/products/rs-2-2-10x38

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Maven 2-10x38 has me curious. Sleek, low-ish powered, not a hubbel objective.

https://mavenbuilt.com/collections/riflescopes/products/rs-2-2-10x38

I've looked at that one as well. Nice piece of glass! $100 USD to ship it to me though....I'm all for paying for quality but I have to draw a line somewhere.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If logistics is an issue,then you certainly don't want ANY of the fhuqking schit you are trying to swoon. Hint.

Buy something Used,that is GOOD. Hint.

Thank me later.

Just sayin'..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
OP, on a classic American rifle like yours, I would go with a Leupold. American-made, lightweight, good warranty. I would also pick the 3.5-10 over less magnification. I use 9x more than I use 2x, hunting or at the range. But the 2.5-8 would be good too.

If you don't want the Leupold, get the Accupoint. I just got one, the green mil-dot, just took it hunting on Maui, am 100% pleased. The green dot was still visible against the greenest vegetation.

Don't go cheap on a scope. Better glass and coatings cost more. Whenever I find myself straining to see at last light, I don't want to know I could be seeing better if I had spent a little more. The VX3-HD is not that expensive. My first scope was a Vari-X II, and it wasn't long before I wished I had bought the III.

Anyways, that's my 2c.

Last edited by plumbum; 04/23/22.
RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The Athlon would be where I would look first, then consider a Burris Fullfield. Camera Land NY has treated guys here pretty good with pricing etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

289 members (160user, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 29 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,657
Posts18,512,777
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.