Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
slm9s Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I know some target bullets are also known to be great hunting bullets. I have a 338 wildcat on the way and remembered I have a stash of midway 2nds that I'm 99% sure are Hornady 250 hpbt. Anyone used them on game?

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
There are success stories and there are miserable failure stories pertaining to “targets bullets used on game! There is a reason that they are labeled “target or match”…..that was what they were designed for!

I personally don’t want to be the one with another “fail” story! There are simply too many good bullets available that are designed for hunting to gamble with a bullet designed for match use! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/27/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Personally, I'd leave the paper punchers for paper and use quality hunting bullets for game animals. There are a lot of fine hunting bullets in 338.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
No experience with the 250gr BTHP target bullet on game. I use hunting bullets when hunting and I leave the target bullets for target shooting. The game I hunt deserves my best efforts at an ethical kill. There’s too many good hunting bullets to try pushing the limits with target bullets and trick shots.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
No experience with the 250gr BTHP target bullet on game. I use hunting bullets when hunting and I leave the target bullets for target shooting. The game I hunt deserves my best efforts at an ethical kill. There’s too many good hunting bullets to try pushing the limits with target bullets and trick shots.

+1

I guess the only exception might be where you over-bore for a particular species, like using a .338 or .375 on whitetails, in which case spitballs might even work, let alone marginally frangible bullets

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What are ya gonna run em in? I’d use personally, and wouldn’t think twice. But Ive killed elk with 80 gr bt’s out of a 6mm ai, and 243 with c&c deer bullets.

Last edited by Judman; 04/29/22.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
slm9s Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a 338T&M on the way, which (I recently learned) is a 338x8x68s, or approx a 338PRC. Prev owner states 225s just over 3000fps.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...n-338-t-m-basically-338-prc#Post17187848

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To me, the whole purpose in carrying a 338 is to be guaranteed all kinds of penetration.

Target bullets tend to detract from that.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Load um up and go kill an elk they will work fine just keep it off the shoulder

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Never used them but have used 300 Berger and 300gr Sierra matchkings on elk up to 1600+yds with an large 338 build. Everytime there was complete penetration and they dropped immediately.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by XBOLT51

That’s precisely the issue. I shouldn’t have to consciously remember hold off the shoulder while making my shot. My gosh, you rarely have that luxury…shot situations don’t give you much time in most cases. My bull six months ago is a great example. 310 yard shot, fading light, getting ready to run back into Colorado fifty yards away…..that shot had to be taken immediately. I had no time to think “well, if he turns jusssst a hair more I can get a broadside shot. Yeah, then I can be sure to hold it off his shoulder…come on, turn just a little…”

Why use a bullet that has those kind of “limitations “? I was glad I had my 338 with 225 grain North Forks.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
I agree with the rest. Use a stout bullet so you don't have to worry about limitations.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Even the old-school Sierra match kings were reliable killers as long as you opened the met plat a little. The first people I knew who used a lot of SMKs on soft targets were folks using 77gr SMKs and 175gr SMKs in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan. None of them complained about the bullets not expanding and they were using them at pretty extreme ranges against targets which were shooting back.

My own experience was that the SMKs worked reliably on game as long as you opened the met plat a little bit and as long as you ran them at lower velocities. I used them for a while without addressing the met plat, then had one pencil through (lethal wound, but the deer went about 150 yards), and after that I started opening the met plat, and then I switched over to the tipped bullets (amax/eldm/tmk)

If you are set on using those Hornadys, they will probably work well, as long as you keep the impact speeds down (338-06 speeds, not 338 RUM speeds) and keep an eye on the size of the met plat. You need a decent hollow point, most likely bigger than they come with.

S
slm9s Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Never used them but have used 300 Berger and 300gr Sierra matchkings on elk up to 1600+yds with an large 338 build. Everytime there was complete penetration and they dropped immediately.

The 300 SMK was the bullet I was actually thinking about when I said some target bullets have a reputation as a great hunting bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like what others stated, I am not one to use target bullets on game, on varmints I will though - such as prairie dogs.
Loosing a game animal by using a poor choice on bullets can, has and will continue to happen.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn, this is a funny thread. Got some guys saying they work well on elk they shot at "1,600 yards", then you have others talking about changing the fn "metplat". In all likely hood, you mess with the design and you might as well be using an interlock. Of course you have a ballistics lab in your basement, so you know changing it does nothing to the BC, but sure as heck turns it into an elk slaying sob. Come on. The most questionable bullet I'd think about using (because I've used them before), is the 250gr Sierra game king. Notice how it has "game" in the name. It was made for bigger critters, but is still borderline. You can go through a shoulder with them, but the jacket will separate from the core, guaranteed. Keep speeds down below 3 grand and you'll be alright. These big 338's are mostly a joke from what I've seen. A lot of guys can't handle them or you need ear splitting brakes on them and none of them have produced what I call excellent accuracy. A light 338-06 or 338wm is all you need when considering killing elk with a .338. Use a good bullet though. You like Hornady? Use an interlock at minimum. I don't want to get into the subject of ethical shots and distance, but from what I have seen is these guys that buy these huge .338's think they can actually take an elk at a mile with the damn things and they can't even hold moa at 100 yards, and that is off the bench. Things get a lot worse under field conditions. If the op's rifle is a "custom" build, it should be able to put 5 shots into sub moa with a hunting bullet (SGK, Interlock, A frame, TTSX, Partition, Accubond, etc. etc.).

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by wyosteve
I agree with the rest. Use a stout bullet so you don't have to worry about limitations.

Exactly, kinda like the expression, “if a frog had wings….it wouldn’t bump it’s ass every time it jumped”!

I don’t want a bullet that requires that all of the planets and stars align perfectly for it to work! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by XBOLT51

That’s precisely the issue. I shouldn’t have to consciously remember hold off the shoulder while making my shot. My gosh, you rarely have that luxury…shot situations don’t give you much time in most cases. My bull six months ago is a great example. 310 yard shot, fading light, getting ready to run back into Colorado fifty yards away…..that shot had to be taken immediately. I had no time to think “well, if he turns jusssst a hair more I can get a broadside shot. Yeah, then I can be sure to hold it off his shoulder…come on, turn just a little…”

Why use a bullet that has those kind of “limitations “? I was glad I had my 338 with 225 grain North Forks.

everyone has their own style and chooses their own shot ,i personally wouldn't have taken that shot especially under those conditions if i cant put it behind the shoulder i don't shoot and the animal lives another day
but if it worked for you alls good
ive let quite a few walk over the yrs and went and found a dofferent animal to shoot because there was no way or no time to put it in the crease
but im ok with that

Last edited by XBOLT51; 05/01/22.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Why try to save pennies on bullets when the rifle and scope costs hundreds and perhaps thousands of $$$? And how much for the hunt and all other equipment?

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CZ550
Why try to save pennies on bullets when the rifle and scope costs hundreds and perhaps thousands of $$$? And how much for the hunt and all other equipment?

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

why spend thousands on equipment that isn't actually needed to kill an animal ? because they can,
thats why
everyone has their own personal preference and if spending thousands on equipment or drive themselve;s nuts over a piece of copper coated lead makes them think they are a better shot then they actually are that's their buisness their money

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 3,413 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.