-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard to imagine a 250gr .338 bullet that wouldn't kill an elk.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Backroads

I can tell you about personal experience using 300 grain .375, thin jacketed, SBT that failed to kill an elk and couldn’t/wouldn’t exit a mule deer or an average sized Black Bear with broadside shots.

Of course there are those that would say that poor shot placement was responsible for the elk kill failure …..I chose to believe that it was a failed bullet choice! A few years later, I made a very similar shot with far different results. This is the reason that I vehemently argue the use of these type bullets on game! I learned my lesson the hard way…..but, I didn’t have the internet and experienced hunters to help me “not” make poor choices!

With today’s information available, a wounded and lost big game animal lwith proper bullet placement and poor bullet selection falls upon the shoulders of the hunter/shooter! Let him/her live with that on their conscience……if they have a conscience! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 05/01/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Isn’t the whole purpose of a hunter, especially a reloader, to choose/match the bullet to game. I don’t believe Hornady makes a HPBT or HP flat base over .308 caliber. I’ve never seen one in .338 going back over 20+ years.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I don’t really care what bullet you use. You are the one who has to live with the results, good or bad. If I ever lose an elk, it won’t be because I used an inferior or inappropriate bullet or rifle for the job at hand. Personally, I don’t use any cup and core bullet for elk; because I don’t have to.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Never used the Hornady bthp on game, but tons of elk and deer with Bergers, and Hornady Amax. Never had an animal go more than 50 yards, most only a make it a few.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by memtb

I can tell you about personal experience using 300 grain .375, thin jacketed, SBT that failed to kill an elk and couldn’t/wouldn’t exit a mule deer or an average sized Black Bear with broadside shots.

Of course there are those that would say that poor shot placement was responsible for the elk kill failure …..I chose to believe that it was a failed bullet choice! A few years later, I made a very similar shot with far different results. This is the reason that I vehemently argue the use of these type bullets on game! I learned my lesson the hard way…..but, I didn’t have the internet and experienced hunters to help me “not” make poor choices!

With today’s information available, a wounded and lost big game animal lwith proper bullet placement and poor bullet selection falls upon the shoulders of the hunter/shooter! Let him/her live with that on their conscience……if they have a conscience! memtb

Even harder to imagine a 300gr .375 bullet that wouldn't kill an elk.

Lots of elk hit the ground around here thanks to the ultra premium Rem factory 100gr corelokt .243

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Elk are bullet proof didn't you know that ?

I mean according to 80% of the internet you need a 30 cal or larger 300 grain titanium coated projectile to kill one.
Meanwhile my wife and have killed 90+ + elk with a 143 eldx from a 6.5,cm at well past 400;yrds along with a 155 terminal accent out of a 280ai. While hunting in 5 different states for elk
guess the elk never got the memo that we didn't shoot them with a magnum so they were not suppose to fall over dead like they did

Last edited by XBOLT51; 05/02/22.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by memtb

Even harder to imagine a 300gr .375 bullet that wouldn't kill an elk.

Lots of elk hit the ground around here thanks to the ultra premium Rem factory 100gr corelokt .243

I was beyond disbelief with the results on 3 head of game that I shot. The bullet came completely apart, was able to only find a few jacket shards, though I did find some of the empty jacket base beneath the hide of the bear! Once seeing the results on small big game animals with broadside shots and some bullet tests e with the bullet……it’s no wonder the bullet didn’t travel far enough into the elk to reach vitals!

While I was experiencing these bullet failures, I had a fairly lengthy conversation with Bob Milek…..he told me to get away from those bullets and go to the 270 grain Hornady SP. My bullet problems went away. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 05/02/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If the 250 BTHP works like their 105 HPBT does in the 6mms on deer then I’d have no problem myself. I’d probably mind what TX35 says and place your shots well and keep hammering till you’ve watched him be still.

Run a few into some sorta media to get an idea of what’s going to happen at 50 yards or 600 yards. Water jugs are cheap. Folks [bleep] on them for test media but if they they’re a better test than us folks who haven’t ever used them.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Ya pretty much.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Judman

Ya pretty much.

Must be tougher elk than we’ve seen.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by beretzs
If the 250 BTHP works like their 105 HPBT does in the 6mms on deer then I’d have no problem myself. I’d probably mind what TX35 says and place your shots well and keep hammering till you’ve watched him be still.

Run a few into some sorta media to get an idea of what’s going to happen at 50 yards or 600 yards. Water jugs are cheap. Folks [bleep] on them for test media but if they they’re a better test than us folks who haven’t ever used them.

^^^Most definitely. You can usually get a decent sense of things on your own this way. Water jugs, soaked newspaper, etc. Just apply some common sense. And don't run thin-jacketed bullets at warp speed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well if you read a book don't you start on page #1 ? Page one for me is in the 8th edn Hornady loading manual on page 109 they classify it for use as a target-match bullet . Seems damned clear to me. In the field you think accuracy wise it will give you a decernable accuracy difference over the 250 gr Sp? The cost of a non resident elk tag is enough to propell me to using the right bullets recommended by the bullet manufacturer. To me the worst case scenario would be having to shoot thru the near shoulder with such a bullet hoping to make it thru to the vitals. Use them for practice and quit fugging around...mb you asked.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well if you read a book don't you start on page #1 ? Page one for me is in the 8th edn Hornady loading manual on page 109 they classify it for use as a target-match bullet . Seems damned clear to me. In the field you think accuracy wise it will give you a decernable accuracy difference over the 250 gr Sp? The cost of a non resident elk tag is enough to propell me to using the right bullets recommended by the bullet manufacturer. To me the worst case scenario would be having to shoot thru the near shoulder with such a bullet hoping to make it thru to the vitals. Use them for practice and quit fugging around...mb you asked.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You two might want to search for the Scenar thread. Schedule a bit of time and go through that one...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Pretty much any bullet above 185 grains in a 338 win mag is an Elk bullet.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
210-225 gr bullets are about right for elk in a .338 bore. I shot 250’s in my crappy shooting Win M70 years ago because I didn’t know better.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've wondered the same about the .338 Hornady HPBT match bullets. I watched my buddy kill piles of game with 300 gr Sierra Matchkings so I thought I'd try the 250 gr Matchkings in my 338 Win. I killed one antelope doe with it and was not impressed. Later, I believe I read someplace that the 250gr Matchkings weren't nearly as good as the 300 gr version for hunting. If I did try them I'd seriously consider opening up the meplats and possibly annealing the tips.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I will send you some 200 grain accubonds if you can't see your way to buying some actual hunting bullets.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.