Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Seems to me that when you start being more cost efficient with energy use, the power company raises rates because they aren't making enough profit. Endless cycle where you can never get ahead.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
More crap legislation that costs more in paperwork than will ever be saved by the consumer. People will buy what they want. We don’t need to be herded like animals. The long ago fluorescent bulb legislation created a mountain of debt and misery to the consumer just to satisfy the egos of congressional miscreants all on the lie of eco friendly lightbulbs. They are more destructive and less efficient than incandescent. LED lighting has its use but it also is much more expensive.
We don’t need government passing edicts in a nanny state.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Joe’s in trouble with his Greenie pals so they dragged out this nonsense again to soothe their troubled hearts. I don’t have any chickens, and my plumbing is all inside, so it matters not, especially since the price of LEDs has come way down. Recently replaced the light over my kitchen sink with an LED fixture that doesn’t flicker, has no starter, and gives me three color temperatures to choose from. Live expectancy of the LED probably exceeds mine.

We use LEDs for starting plants in the basement and had to buy heat pads to put under the flats, so no energy savings there, probably the opposite. OTOH, both will last for years, maybe effectively forever, my forever anyway, so the cost will likely be offset by not having to replace them.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Dess
Seems to me that when you start being more cost efficient with energy use, the power company raises rates because they aren't making enough profit. Endless cycle where you can never get ahead.

^^^This^^^

Our former electric co-op did this very thing back in the early '90s. A friend worked in management there at the time and told of attending board meetings where their stated goal was to get rates up to where the average electric bill for total electric residential customers was $250 a month.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Joe’s in trouble with his Greenie pals so they dragged out this nonsense again to soothe their troubled hearts. I don’t have any chickens, and my plumbing is all inside, so it matters not, especially since the price of LEDs has come way down. Recently replaced the light over my kitchen sink with an LED fixture that doesn’t flicker, has no starter, and gives me three color temperatures to choose from. Live expectancy of the LED probably exceeds mine.

We use LEDs for starting plants in the basement and had to buy heat pads to put under the flats, so no energy savings there, probably the opposite. OTOH, both will last for years, maybe effectively forever, my forever anyway, so the cost will likely be offset by not having to replace them.

The LEDs themselves might, but the electronics to convert 120 AC to low voltage DC do not. I change LEDs as frequently as incandescent bulbs it seems. 20 year life - ha. I wonder how an LED will work for an oven light?

Yours in Liberty,

BL
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Our house has almost all low power use bulbs but there are places for old fashioned incandescents. Places like sheds or dusty basements where the lights are used less than an hour/year don't need expensive bulbs.

By MATTHEW DALY - Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration is scrapping old-fashioned incandescent light bulbs, speeding an ongoing trend toward more efficient lighting that officials say will save households, schools and businesses billions of dollars a year.

Rules finalized by the Energy Department will require manufacturers to sell energy-efficient lightbulbs, accelerating a longtime industry practice to use compact fluorescent and LED bulbs that last 25 to 50 times longer than incandescent bulbs. The Trump administration had slowed an earlier phaseout of incandescents, saying it was targeting rules that burden businesses.

Once the new rules are fully in place next year, consumers should save nearly $3 billion per year on their utility bills, the Energy Department said. The rules are projected to cut planet-warming carbon emissions by 222 million metric tons over the next 30 years, an amount equivalent to emissions generated by 28 million homes in one year, officials said.

“By raising energy efficiency standards for lightbulbs, we’re putting $3 billion back in the pockets of American consumers every year and substantially reducing domestic carbon emissions,” Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm said in a statement Tuesday. “The lighting industry is already embracing more energy efficient products, and this measure will accelerate progress to deliver the best products to American consumers and build a better and brighter future.”

when the cost of the bulb is many times the annual energy draw of the existing buld you would have to be a sheep to buy a new one...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
As a retired electrician, I'm not seeing a huge savings. Maybe in something like a school system where each classroom has a dozen fixtures that are on for 8 or more hours a day. But in your typical residence I don't see a huge savings as the actual time your lights are on is usually pretty small. And your lighting use is usually a small part of your usage. And I am not seeing the long life that everyone is talking about. But they are getting cheaper, maybe they will get better.

But I'll give the LEDs a chance. The compact fluorescent bulbs were a joke! And they were dangerous! I saw more than one that failed violently, spewing melted glass out of the bottom.

As a retired Lineman, I can tell you that most electric utilities can't just raise their rates when they want to. Most are governed by their States Public Service Commission. Rate increases have to be filed for and justified. My company seldom got the full increase that they ask for.

lightman
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
As a retired Lineman, I can tell you that most electric utilities can't just raise their rates when they want to. Most are governed by their States Public Service Commission. Rate increases have to be filed for and justified. My company seldom got the full increase that they ask for.

That's certainly the case here. The power co. spends much more of their time looking for new sources of 'green' energy than they spend on consumer rates.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 6 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,414
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.