Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I'm with ya smw its seems high priced & I haven't seen a review where someone has tested it for more than a day. There is a big diff between a day or two elk hunting & a week straight of staying in a tent in the SE where it doesn't have a chance to dryout every day. I plan to take the better half down that way to find a nice bear this spring & thought about picking one up for her. However the impertech is proven & I can buy a bunch of dissposable frog togg tops for the price of one downpour for the breathable layering. Let us know if its the real deal, however I am unware of any new miracle fabrics so I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by greyghost1; 01/05/08.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll likely try the Sitka stuff, but still don't believe those 3 elements can be combined in one fabric. As many different types as I've tried, I'm skeptical that Sitka will finally be the ticket. The various manufacturer's claims of 'waterproof, breathable' are pure BS...

A September moose hunt in the interior isn't likely a good test for what I think I need...but I try to remain open minded...grin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, it definitley wasn't raining like it does down in SE but it rained pretty steady nonetheless. I plan on using my 90% jacket this spring bear hunting, probably won't rain much but i'll give it a whirl anyway and see how it responds.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have RW pants that I have BEAT on for 3 or 4 seasons now and they still work great. I've been in the rain in them all day many times.

I have a RW jacket that I have had for 2 seasons. It will leak at one of the chest pockets by the end of a day in the rain. The fabric itself doesn't leak. It's quiet, warm, stretchy, and durable.

I've been real happy with my RW gear... not saying it's the best (dunno what is) but it's worked real well for me, especially the pants.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Want waterproof? Frogg Toggs. Spent a week up in SE Alaska for a mntn goat hunt. I had Cabelas finest and my friend had Frogg Toggs. I was soaked. He was dry. Of course that dam cactus stuff they have up there (devil's club/claw?) will tear anything up. We're heading up there again this year for some more pain (lol) and I'm taking Frogg Toggs. Now if I do shoot a goat I'm taking the FT off as they are not picture worthy haha. But they are light weight and keep you dry.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have the stalker ATJ that I bought for hunting. The first time I wore it out in the field it was 20'F with a 20 mph wind. I wore carhartt medium weight thermals, carhartt flannel lined pants, and a redhead long sleeve shirt otherwise. I was completely comfortable all day until I shot a deer just before sundown 1-2 miles from my truck. I then spent I don't know how long packing it out. By the time I made it to the truck I was soaked. I don't think they breathe well enough for heavy rigorous activity. If you are able to pace yourself it would work better for you.

On the other side though, right now I am working in Browning, MT. Look it up on weatherunderground.com . I have worn it several times with the same setup as above with the only addition being a pair of insulated covies. I don't like using my hunting gear to work with because we use several chemicals that are damn near impossible to get rid of when washed or cleaned. The residual smell always remains, I inspect powerlines by the way.

As an act of desperation I started using my stalker ATJ about four weeks ago. It was 15 deg F that day with a 35mph constant wind with gusts up to 60mph. I tried the aforementioned setup with the addition of the covies and have worn it every day since + or - the covies. With that jacket on it is almost like their is no wind and not snowing. I never feel anything other than the actual temp. and any body heat I generate. I have since convinced several other foremen that I work with to buy similar jackets. They all love them.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
A friend of mine is a outfitter here in Idaho and they put him on their pro staff,he raves about the how good the product is.This guy sang it's praises long before they added him to their staff.We don't get the rain you guys in alaska get in terms of volume but we have our days,as far as hiking and being able to sit in driving snow storms it works well. Sitka gear will be my next big purchase since it is not inexpensive.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I haven't hunted in the RW jacket I bought recently, I have been working in it, outdoors. It's well made, and the concept is great, but I find it just too damn warm, if you're at all active. Should be fantastic for waterfowling, and stand hunting, but I won't be hiking/packing in it.

Jeff

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

309 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 29aholic, 30Gibbs, 32 invisible), 2,163 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,343
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.