Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have a .325 WSM that I bought around 2005. I bought it not so much for the chambering, but because I really liked the rifle - an 1885 High-Wall reproduction. I have never hunted with that rifle, but it shoots extremely well, and the ballistics of the .325 WSM seem really good. But, despite being a fine cartridge, the .325 WSM seemed to fade away over the years, probably because 8mm is not very popular in North America and it doesn’t have the wide range of bullet selections that .30 and .338 have. Not a surprise.

What is a surprise, though, is that I am seeing a lot of new rifles coming onto the market chambered in .325 WSM in the last year. Anyone know why this sudden resurgence of the forgotten and niche .325 WSM?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Other than Winchester, who is chambering new guns in 325?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shinbone
What is a surprise, though, is that I am seeing a lot of new rifles coming onto the market chambered in .325 WSM in the last year. Anyone know why this sudden resurgence of the forgotten and niche .325 WSM?

Nope. The round is as dead as the proverbial dodo bird. What you're seeing is mfg's clearing out rifles they couldn't sell.

The 325 was a dumb move... Olin should have legitimized/standardized the 338 WSM. The 325 does nothing the 300 WSM didn't already do, and do better.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Define a lot, and give examples…..

Secure some brass and/or ammo when you can, and enjoy your rifle. Don’t fret over the status of the cartridge. When it came out, I read that Winchester couldn’t reach their desired velocity with the .338 version, so .325 it was.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I also heard that Winchester could not achieve the desired velocity and or accuracy with a .338 WSM cartridge. It’s been a while since I read that. I had considered a .325 WSM but just stuck with my .35 Whelen for a upper end medium bore.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dead. The most popular was the 300WSM and even it is in decline. Add the very dead Ruger 300RCM and 338RCM to the list. I love the 338RCM but it's like an salmon that swam upstream and spawned, it's stinking dead.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Last I looked Browning was making new rifles in .325 WSM. I like my Kimber in .325 WSM just fine .

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wish they would have made a 358wsm

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’d say stock up on brass and get a set of dies. One of my favorite rifles is an old 700 8mm mag. Love that thing. If you like the rifle use it and know you’ll probably always be the only guy in camp shooting an 8!

Also, 180 and 200 TSX flat knock the heck out of anything you point them at. Good luck with a cool rifle.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have an A bolt and an X bolt. I should pick up some more brass for them. I enjoy shooting them. Have not hunted with them yet.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Absolutely love my Browning A Bolt white gold Med in 325. Shoots incredible. Glad I picked up 5 boxes of ammo for like 57 bucks a box 4 years ago. It loves the Winchester 200 grain accu bonds

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since one is unlikely to use an 8mm short mag to shoot squeaks or yotes, I see no reason to despair, once a supply of hunting ammo is secured. That 1885 would be easier than many to switch cartridges on later if that interests you.

Pics would be appreciated by the single-shot crowd, if you have any handy.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My first rifle was a 8mm Mauser when Kimber came out with the 325 WSM picked one up at a super good price on a traded it sat for years not getting used....then picked up a 50 B&M Super Short....got rid of the 325 WSM had plenty of brass to make 50 B&M SS that gets used a lot.....6 months ago need some brass to make some more 50 B&M SS it was easy to find and cheap to use 325 WSM....

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I looked at it pretty hard when it came out, and passed. Do not see me changing my mind.

I think the 338 would have been the way to go. To heck with whatever velocity some corporate schmuck was pining for.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just rebareled an FN for a client in 325 WSM. I have both the 300 and 325 reamers.

Last edited by Jkob; 05/01/22.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The 325 does nothing the 300 WSM didn't already do, and do better.

This.

The 300 WSM shoots the same bullet weights to the same speeds at the muzzle. But the 300 shoots flatter, retains speed better at distance, and penetrates better with the same bullet weights. The .015" greater bullet diameter is about the same as a sheet of notebook paper, I just don't see that being enough to matter. I'm sure the 325 kills stuff just fine, but I can't think of a single reason I'd choose one over a 300 WSM.

I doubt the OP is seeing any new production 325 rifles. Maybe some that have been sitting in store rooms for years are making their way onto dealer shelves. I've seen brand new, never sold rifles that were 15-20 years old before. Big outfits buy guns by the truckload to get discount pricing. Slow sellers are often left collecting dust in a store room for years. Someone finds them and they put them on the shelf.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The entire WSM family has fallen to the high BC heavy for caliber bullet technology. SA magnums in .30 and .33 caliber utilizing + or - 1.7” projectiles are not feasible on 2.1” brass and 2.86” SAMMI or WSM Wildcat cartridges. Even with a 3” magazine you would be hard pressed to stay in a 3.2” COAL with these .725+ BC projectiles. That doesn’t mean that the WSM family of cartridges aren’t great hunting cartridges, they are. They’re just not suited for fast twist heavy for caliber use as is currently the trend, especially in heavy, long .284”, .308” and .338” magnum caliber use. A 325 WSM is a potent big game cartridge, but it has no bullet technology in the high BC arena and is even limited in standard bullet design. Because of this it is absolutely on the dead end slide. In the end the 300 WSM will be about the only survivor. There’s a reason the 284 Win and 6.5x284 Norma in long range comp need 3.2” room to perform at their highest velocity levels, no difference than what a WSM needs. In doing so you somewhat defeat the whole purpose of a SA design, which was the WSM goal all along.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JMR40

This.

The 300 WSM shoots the same bullet weights to the same speeds at the muzzle. But the 300 shoots flatter, retains speed better at distance, and penetrates better with the same bullet weights. The .015" greater bullet diameter is about the same as a sheet of notebook paper, I just don't see that being enough to matter. I'm sure the 325 kills stuff just fine, but I can't think of a single reason I'd choose one over a 300 WSM.

I doubt the OP is seeing any new production 325 rifles. Maybe some that have been sitting in store rooms for years are making their way onto dealer shelves. I've seen brand new, never sold rifles that were 15-20 years old before. Big outfits buy guns by the truckload to get discount pricing. Slow sellers are often left collecting dust in a store room for years. Someone finds them and they put them on the shelf.

I agree with that. Had a few 300 WSMs but when CDNN was blowing out M70 Sporter 325’s for 600’ish I decent to try one out. It’s kinda different but doesn’t do anything a 300 would do.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The "general shooting public" seems to be veering hard toward lighter recoiling rounds. Creedmoor, Grendel, Blackout, etc. That makes it tough for the 300wsm and the 325wsm before you get into current ammo prices and monos (that have people doing with 270s and 708s what they were doing with magnums beforehand). 300wm is never going anywhere, but all of the wsms seem to be in the same decline, some just slower than others?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by JMR40

This.

I agree with that. Had a few 300 WSMs but when CDNN was blowing out M70 Sporter 325’s for 600’ish I decent to try one out. It’s kinda different but doesn’t do anything a 300 would do.

I damn near bought a like new (used) winchester model 70 extreme weather last year. It was chambered in 325WSM and sat on the used gun rack for nearly a month. I went and visited it a couple times during that month it sat there and thought about buying it every time, but then always thought it isn't going to do anything my 300wsm can't do and I'd have to buy a die set and 8mm bullets. I didn't take it home, even though the price ($600.00) was damn tempting. I'm sure it would have been a great rifle. Probably a phenomenal shooter too. I'm hoping someone that was into 8mm's took that rifle home and gave it the love it deserves..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 54 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,769
Posts18,476,780
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.