-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
when looking at the surveillance cameras for my system which is a lower priced Zeos setup, I wanted wireless thinking they would be battery powered. They were not so I still would need to have a power source for them.

I wanted a camera close enough to the road that if someone broke into our car we would have high enough resolution at night to identify them and possibly a license plate

So I ended up buying a stand alone unit that was battery powered, similar to Blink, and let it record straight to an SD card in a loop. The downside is that I had to move a router to the window so that it would be able to access my wireless internet to get a strong enough signal to send video.

I have a blink doorbell and a couple of indoor cameras. I also bought the blink hub so I could record the video locally on an SD card without a subscription but after trying two different usb memory sticks, I never got it to work. Admittedly I didn't screw around with it very much as I use the indoor cameras to mostly check on the dogs during the day.

so I ended up with a hodge podge of stuff and have 3 different apps on my phone to monitor it.

Last edited by KFWA; 05/03/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We had to get a wireless booster antenna to receive wireless camera footage at 250yds. My wife had a computer geek come out and set it all up to a hard drive and backed it up with Cloud. Pretty neat to see what's happening at your place 24/7 as long as you have phone service. Whatever you do get a solar panel to keep the batteries charged in your camera's. Haven't had a problem with 5 cameras in over 2 years.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not that up on this stuff but I was talking to a previous neighbor about it and he had actually set up one of his cameras inside the garage looking out (covering the man door and roll-up door.) That sounds like a good +1 for your situation...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I work in an area with a need for intense security footage. When we upgraded last year I asked the security contractors what they would use on a home.

The unanimous answer was the hi def arlo system.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by bobinpa

Pretty cool technology...

PTZs with 300+ feet of color rated night vision. AI for license plate capture.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
I've been out of that game for a bit now but there are all kinds of systems on Amazon for under a grand. It's all much less expensive than it was years ago. I wouldn't be afraid to buy a relatively generic system.

Are you looking for wireless or hard wired? Just make sure the system you choose has a couple T bite hard drive along with the mux or you'll be shopping for one to fit after install.

YES on the wireless... running hard wires 300-400 yards is a PITA... unless that is absolutely essential.

Better a PITA than $15K in construction damage. Hire one of those companies who contract to Ma Bell, that run the underground phone wires. Dude came out with a little tractor gizmo and ran 100 yards of cable to my house in about 10 minutes. Took him longer to set up than it did to actually run the wire.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by bobinpa

Pretty cool technology...

PTZs with 300+ feet of color rated night vision. AI for license plate capture.

That's an awesome setup, our system isn't nearly as good.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Try the "Ring" doorbell camera. I get 180 degrees from just the doorbell. It will alarm me wherever I am when someone comes into the range of the camera and the activity is recorded in case you ever had to look up what happened...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got 24 cameras around the house and on the property ... inside and out.

Several layers.

Closed Circuit along the roads and out front ... 400 yards down the driveway along with motion sensors. That was an expensive installation but worth it in the overall scheme of things given we live down a 2 mile dirt road and it takes Sheriffs awhile to get out here. We just recently had an attempted break-in, while she was alone inside with the babies, down the road at a young couple's house and the LEOs were able to use my closed circuit footage to catch the cracker slimball crackhead who tried it in his beat-up old Lincoln ... had footage of him driving past our driveway at 1:57 in the morning minutes after she ran him off with her pistol ... he ran back out to the road and jumped in his car and took off and came right by our place at 2:06.

We used to have zero crime ... but crackheads drive around looking for homes remotely located back in the woods these days and it is happening everywhere.

If you do hard wired closed circuit, it is expensive but get the pros to install it because if they are not properly installed and grounded they are prone to take lightening strikes plus you have-to hard wire power out to them ... and coax and #14 are not cheap. If I did it again these days I would power source them with solar and batteries but you still have to bury coaxial cable and ground it plus they put arrestors on the lines and have to waterproof them and all that. Took them two days to get them installed and up and running. Your yard will habe trenches in them until the grass grows back too plus you have to jump through hoops with the power and phone companies to make sure your lines are not cut.

Might not be as difficult for people hard wiring their systems up close to their homes.

We have Ring and SimpliSafe up close around the house ... great cameras and alarm systems but both have limited wireless range. I like their monitoring abilities and their apps.

Arlo out at the shop, the chicken houses and at both barns, but I had to have separate Internet installed out there. My Foreman monitors those on his phone and tablet but he tells me he loves them so far. We just had those installed this past November after being warned about SJW attacks on farms around the Carolinas.

Best deal going, imho, are the Geeni systems. I have them inside the home and at the MiL's house and two of their outdoor cameras up there at her place. Easy installation, very affordable, and a great app for viewing plus they have remote lights and alarms. So we can flick lights on remotely, monitor cameras 24/7 on our phones and tablets, plus the great thing about those is that their cloud service is suoer cheap plus you can install chips for more memory.

If I were on a limited income or just starting out I would start with the Geeni system. They're sold everywhere snd their camera motion sensing technology is outstanding as is their IR capabilities.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mike70560
I have an Arlo system on my houseboat with ATT cellular WIFI hub. The resolution on their cameras is very good.

If you have decent cell service consider this model. With the solar panel it would be a solution for the remote cameras. There is a monthly charge for the cell service.

Arlo cellular camera

If you have WIFI near your home their other cameras will work well. You will receive notifications when motion is detected. You can buy a hub and record everything.

Setup is very simple.

I’ve got 6 arlo’s at 2 different properties. With solar panels. They are great. I have good WiFi both places (you might be surprised how far from your house you can get a WiFi signal). I have not tried their cellular. You don’t need a hub to record - for a small monthly fee you get free unlimited storage in the cloud for 30 days and can download from the cloud to your phone or computer if you want to save them for longer than 30 days

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Originally Posted by Mike70560
I have an Arlo system on my houseboat with ATT cellular WIFI hub. The resolution on their cameras is very good.

If you have decent cell service consider this model. With the solar panel it would be a solution for the remote cameras. There is a monthly charge for the cell service.

Arlo cellular camera

If you have WIFI near your home their other cameras will work well. You will receive notifications when motion is detected. You can buy a hub and record everything.

Setup is very simple.

I’ve got 6 arlo’s at 2 different properties. With solar panels. They are great. I have good WiFi both places (you might be surprised how far from your house you can get a WiFi signal). I have not tried their cellular. You don’t need a hub to record - for a small monthly fee you get free unlimited storage in the cloud for 30 days and can download from the cloud to your phone or computer if you want to save them for longer than 30 days

I am using their storage service, but I keep my houseboat at times in an area with spotty cell service. The hub is to record will be a backup if the cell service does not work. In the future I will upgrade my cameras at home and use the same basic setup.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,828
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.