Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Don’t you have a buddy/neighbor with a tractor? If you were near me and not an azzhole, I’d be happy to break it up for you.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you do go with a tiller go big like this one:

Barreto

I’ve used these before and they will definitely chew up the ground. But you’ll still be in a wrestling match the whole time. I wouldn’t even consider it for more than 1/4 to 1/2 acre. Check the rental cost for a tractor with a tiller attachment. I rented one probably 10 years ago for $300+, also with a front loader to clear an old staging area from a timber cut. Had to clear some push piles before tilling. It was over 2 acres and I’m pretty sure I would have died before finishing with a walk behind. By the way, “walk behind” is a cruel joke somebody in marketing came up with.
Good luck.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tilling produces beautiful, fluffy ground.
It's really nice.

For people.

It's hell on soil structure.

Time and fuel are a big reason farmers largely went no-till.
(Different tilling, I know)

Soil structure is another reason, and a big reason many continue to do it.
If it's just sod, not saplings and bushes, I'd go with Ranger99's disc
suggestion. Burn it with Roundup, disc and plant.

PS. You are looking for soil to seed contact? Beating the soil into
aerated powder will not provide that contact. Minimal soil tilling,
planting, and a gentle rolling ius how you get that.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I feel your pain we started out planting our food plots with 2 Troy-Bilt Horse tillers 35 years ago. If you use a tiller which is a lot of work leave a strip between your tilled rows. Then just spread your seed, fertilizer and drag the seed in with your truck using a couple of tires on top of some chain link fence. Screw putting the seed on top of the ground and hoping that it grows.

Life is good live it while you can.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Tilling produces beautiful, fluffy ground.
It's really nice.

For people.

It's hell on soil structure.

Time and fuel are a big reason farmers largely went no-till.
(Different tilling, I know)

Soil structure is another reason, and a big reason many continue to do it.
If it's just sod, not saplings and bushes, I'd go with Ranger99's disc
suggestion. Burn it with Roundup, disc and plant.

PS. You are looking for soil to seed contact? Beating the soil into
aerated powder will not provide that contact. Minimal soil tilling,
planting, and a gentle rolling ius how you get that.

I no - till a 100 acres of my cow pastures and disc and plant 40± acres of my own ground in wildlife food plots every year. I use the same seed mix in both instances and the stand is always better where I have broken the ground. My pastures suffer some in the summer if I disc them in the fall. But for wildlife food plots especially those you grow to kill deer off need to be disc up in the fall.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]woodforest atm
I've tried about every way to plant deer plots and started out trying to use the NRCS recommendations. I charge a $100 per hour plus travel and stay as busy as I want, planting food plots for the hunters.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I had a drill, I'd definitely not turn dirt. I'll be upfront, these plots were initially cut in with a disc. However, I have not done any sort of ground disturbing practices in years. They may not look the prettiest, but the critters don't seem to mind. Every year around Labor Day, I have a couple of plots that I spread seed on, cultipack, and then spray with glyphosate. Let the cereal rye, oats, wheat (whatever grains I plant) go to seed and rinse and repeat. Toss in some crimson, med red, and what ever else clovers I can find cheap. Might toss out a few lbs of turnips.

This one is 20days after planting.
.com/gp/150924633N06/r98MmM][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com].com/gp/150924633N06/r98MmM]Untitled by .com/photos/150924633N06/]Tyler Staggs, on [bleep]

Same plot, different perspective from a few years earlier. Still multiple years without any tillage.
.com/gp/150924633N06/g2m3B9][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com].com/gp/150924633N06/g2m3B9]Untitled by .com/photos/150924633N06/]Tyler Staggs, on [bleep]

Not saying my way is better or best, but it is very possible to grow grub to feed deer with little to no equipment and little to no tillage.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Planted both of these with my no till drill.
Originally Posted by pointer
If I had a drill, I'd definitely not turn dirt. I'll be upfront, these plots were initially cut in with a disc. However, I have not done any sort of ground disturbing practices in years. They may not look the prettiest, but the critters don't seem to mind. Every year around Labor Day, I have a couple of plots that I spread seed on, cultipack, and then spray with glyphosate. Let the cereal rye, oats, wheat (whatever grains I plant) go to seed and rinse and repeat. Toss in some crimson, med red, and what ever else clovers I can find cheap. Might toss out a few lbs of turnips.

.com/gp/150924633N06/r98MmM][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com].com/gp/150924633N06/r98MmM]Untitled by .com/photos/150924633N06/]Tyler Staggs, on [bleep]

Same plot, different perspective from a few years earlier. Still multiple years without any tillage.
.com/gp/150924633N06/g2m3B9][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com].com/gp/150924633N06/g2m3B9]Untitled by .com/photos/150924633N06/]Tyler Staggs, on [bleep]

Not saying my way is better or best, but it is very possible to grow grub to feed deer with little to no equipment and little to no tillage.

Originally Posted by pointer

That's a good stand of clover, I've had good luck no tilling clover but nothing like that. Where are you located?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
As an aside, pinto beans make good, cheap, and easy to grow deer food. Just buy dried beans at the grocery and plant them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you dealing with much compaction In those pastures?
Heavy tillage isn't great as a continuous practice, but subsoiling
or something to break it up a bit can be needed.

Lotta places have a hardpan issue and never even know it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm located in south central Indiana, one county from the Ohio River. Clover doesn't look like that every year, but there's not shortage of it. Alot depends on how well the grains reseed themselves. The past two years I've not even spread any a grain species, just use the seed that was grown from the previous year. If I movwed those plots a time or two before they set seed, I'm thinking the clover would really take off. I may try that on on a few spots this year to see what happens.

Subsoiling doesn't breakup compaction, just moves it deeper... wink

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wouldnt till up jackshît

Spray Gly-4

Then broadcast rapeseed on the decaying duff

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1234, 1badf350, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 17,755 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,892
Posts18,538,598
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.