Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
this is probably a pretty basic question but there are tons of products out there. I have a new pontoon, I have a trolling motor to put on the front. I want to use the engine to charge the trolling motor battery and start battery while its running. but I don't want the trolling motor to run down the start battery. minn kota sells all sorts of chargers etc. but none seem to have the simple capability. what do I need for this. I think most guys with trolling motors are just going out for a day and the trolling motor battery is easily charged back up when they get home. for me we are out 3-4 days on boat camping trips, we need to at least add some charge back into the battery during engine run time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perko switch. Allows you to use either battery. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would think charging capabilities on a boat motor are limited.

Similar to an atv.

Maybe buy extra batteries. Swap as needed.

Charge when you return home.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Buy yourself a Sportsman 1000 inverter generator and charge your trolling battery up at night. They'll run eight hours on half a gallon of gas and you can't hear them more than 50 feet away. They weight under 30 pounds and cost under $300. LINK

Love mine. I can even use it at motels where I can't get to an outdoor outlet. I just chain it to my boat trailer.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Solar charger?

I always carry one of these as an emergency starter backup

NOCO Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter Box, Car Battery Booster Pack, Portable Power Bank Charger, and Jumper Cables For Up To 6-Liter Gasoline and 3-Liter Diesel Engines

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKUPIC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_G37VXTYA27HZDFPWSRJ6

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The alternator on a boat motor is not capable of keep up with the charging needs of two batteries. Never use your cranking battery to run a trolling motor unless you main motor is shot and you are using the trolling motor for power.

If your trolling motor is 24 volt, get two batteries just for it. Install a 3 bank charger to be able to charge all 3 when you return to the dock.

CK
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Buy yourself a Sportsman 1000 inverter generator and charge your trolling battery up at night. They'll run eight hours on half a gallon of gas and you can't hear them more than 50 feet away. They weight under 30 pounds and cost under $300. LINK

Love mine. I can even use it at motels where I can't get to an outdoor outlet. I just chain it to my boat trailer.

^This. Set up your boat with a plug in charger with the appropriate number of banks. Then use AC when available and an inverter generator when necessary. I have one of the little Hondas primarily for this purpose.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
the boat has a mercury 200L outboard, which has an 85 amp alternator on it. thats more than a lot of cars. so I would think a substantial amount of battery charging could be done while the engine is running. I don't want the hassle of an additional generator, I will have too much crap already on board. any ideas how an hour of run time with that kind of amps could do to top off a trolling motor battery?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are tons of on/off switches out there.

1Minute
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It'll charge your batteries, but how long are you planning on running around with the big motor to do it? Your batteries won't last a full day running an electric motor. Gonna leave the Merc idling to charge batteries?

I'd want the main motor charging my cranking battery and the trolling motor batteries completely separate, but that's just me.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Once you get it figured out you can take your learnings to Ranger, Tracker, Lowe, Lund, etc and share with them. There has to be a strong market for this...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yandina combiner. Or yandina Trollbridge if the trolling motor runs off more than one batt wired in series.

The combiner will parallel the starter/ trolling (or house) batteries after the starting battery is recharged/topped off so the trolling batteries are charged. When you shut the main engine off, the switch opens so the trolling motor only drains the trolling batteries, the starter battery remains fully charged. Blue seas has an “ACR” which is basically a copy of the yandina.

Sean
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You said you need this for extended fishing trips. You wouldn't carry your little generator aboard the boat. You'd have it ashore during the day and hook it up to your boat's normal battery charger at night. You'd have a full trolling battery in the morning for the cost of half a gallon of gas. That's WAY more efficient than running your 200-hp main motor to charge the troll battery.

You could certainly come up with a switching system to charge either your starter battery or your troller battery using the big Merc, but whichever way you did it the other battery would be low. Believe me, this is not the best approach.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Electricity is the weak spot on modern fishing boats but they’ve come a long way in the last few decades. I’ve been using deep cycle AGM batteries for a year or two and I won’t ever go back to flooded. I charged my 2 AGM’s after crabbing in November and decided in March to see how much juice they’d lost during the coldest, snowiest part of winter. I brought them in and put them on the charger. They showed 90% full and were completely topped off inside of 30 minutes. My flooded deep cycle was a year newer and it was almost totally discharged. A Perko switch and at least 2 AGM deep cycle batteries and you are starting from the right position. I use 1 battery for STARTING and my 2nd battery for running electronics and downriggers. Switch to LED for the house lights.

Good luck.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Could consider lithium Lifepo4 batteries if you want much longer run times/capacity

Sean
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Is your trolling motor 12v or 24v? You can run your trolling motor battery parallel with your motor battery with a cut off switch in line with the hot which would stop you from burning up any of your motor battery while you are using the trolling motor. When running your motor simply complete the switch and it should work. If 24v of course you'd need another set of wires and another switch.

I agree with others here though, you'll use up a lot of battery running that trolling motor. You'll have to run your main motor a while to get it charged up. A solar solution like suggested here might be your best bet.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SeanD
Could consider lithium Lifepo4 batteries if you want much longer run times/capacity

With the number of little piss-ant problems that seem to plague sport boat electrical systems I don’t think I’ll ever go backwards and use flooded batteries again, at least in boats. I’ve been so impressed with the AGM which is most definitely a HUGE improvement over flooded so I’d be looking towards the newer battery technology with great hope. As time goes by the prices are coming down and the products are infinitely. I bought 3 group 27 deep cycle batteries for $67.50 OTD each which was the same exact price as the same flooded battery by Interstate. They have factory seconds and refurbished units for a fraction of the price of new and I’ve never had an issue with them in 20+ years and dozens upon dozens of batteries. For every AGM I’m getting the performance of 2 flooded batteries of equal size. So effectively if I run 2 AGMs it’s about like running 4 flooded….ime.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can use the charging system on the main, however it is unlikely you will fully charge the batteries for the trolling motor. Depends on how long you are running the main, how many amps it puts out and how much you are discharging the troll batteries. If you are running the main for a hour each way it will have some value, if only 15 minutes, not so much. Pontoons usually have a roof, if so why no solar panels? For battery isolation, Blue Seas makes a ACR specifically for that, and often can buy with a large amp capacity switch.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by SeanD

With the number of little piss-ant problems that seem to plague sport boat electrical systems I don’t think I’ll ever go backwards and use flooded batteries again, at least in boats. I’ve been so impressed with the AGM which is most definitely a HUGE improvement over flooded so I’d be looking towards the newer battery technology with great hope. As time goes by the prices are coming down and the products are infinitely. I bought 3 group 27 deep cycle batteries for $67.50 OTD each which was the same exact price as the same flooded battery by Interstate. They have factory seconds and refurbished units for a fraction of the price of new and I’ve never had an issue with them in 20+ years and dozens upon dozens of batteries. For every AGM I’m getting the performance of 2 flooded batteries of equal size. So effectively if I run 2 AGMs it’s about like running 4 flooded….ime.

Do you think your AGMs aren't flooded?

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

This is the system I use.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7610/SI-ACR_Automatic_Charging_Relay_-_12_24V_DC_120A

The question of how fast you will charge your battery bank is just math. You can get fancy and install a shunt with a meter to know what your battery has lost and gained.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

274 members (338reddog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 23 invisible), 1,842 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,628
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.