Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

GB1

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by blairvt
only been pike fishing once, headed back in a few weeks. The other is my daughters best, she thought it smelled bad.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's a very nice and clean Muskie.

Like the Gheenoe too😎

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Caught before cell phones and digital photography, so a 4x6 from Photo Hut is all I have.

33# Lake Ontario King salmon is my biggest fish ever.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Ky221
only been pike fishing once, headed back in a few weeks. The other is my daughters best, she thought it smelled bad.

Like the Gheenoe too😎
Caught on the New River in Virginia. Use to be an awesome Small Mouth river and occasionally catch a Muskie. Now, guys who know what they are doing catch 3 a day and the smallmouth are harder to come by. I mean on a good trip you could catch 100 smallies. Some good ones. They say the Muskies don't eat the small mouth but I don't believe it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've caught a bunch of big fish but none any bigger than this one.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pal

LOL

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K

Like the Gheenoe too😎
Caught on the New River in Virginia. Use to be an awesome Small Mouth river and occasionally catch a Muskie. Now, guys who know what they are doing catch 3 a day and the smallmouth are harder to come by. I mean on a good trip you could catch 100 smallies. Some good ones. They say the Muskies don't eat the small mouth but I don't believe it.

Lol they don't. At least not in a large part. Muskies 10-1 prefer soft rayed fish (suckers, carp etc). Been a ton of studies done on this subject. Where Muskies are shocked, then stomach contents flushed. I can't remember the percentages but when it comes to bass, bluegill, etc.....it's extremely low.

Ever notice that some of the best smallie and walleye lakes are also first class Muskie fisheries? Lake st Clair, lake of the woods, come to mind.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On striped marlin my best is ~20 minutes on 20# line, netting 4th place angler in L.A. Billfish tournament.

On salmon it was qualifying for membership in the Tyee Club with 32-1/2# on 16# line.

Spearfishing it was a 34-1/2" sheepshead.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by pal
On striped marlin my best is ~20 minutes on 20# line, netting 4th place angler in L.A. Billfish tournament.

On salmon it was qualifying for membership in the Tyee Club with 32-1/2# on 16# line.

Does this mean you fought the Marlin for 20 minutes before you broke him off or you boated him in 20 minutes? I’m genuinely curious as I have no experience with this type of fishing.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Maybe not quite the best but fish and fisherman were about a dead heat weight wise. We accidentally caught this one about 2 hours ago while trolling plugs for walleye/saugeye. 15lb Pline on a 6500 Abu dragging a size 7 Rapala. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by pal

Does this mean you fought the Marlin for 20 minutes before you broke him off or you boated him in 20 minutes? I’m genuinely curious as I have no experience with this type of fishing.

Tag and release tournament--released the marlin after 20 minutes of battle getting him to the boat. Under tournament rules, when the swivel touches the rod tip, the time stops; this to allow sufficient time to release the fish safely and improve his chances of survival.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Like the Gheenoe too😎

Lol they don't. At least not in a large part. Muskies 10-1 prefer soft rayed fish (suckers, carp etc). Been a ton of studies done on this subject. Where Muskies are shocked, then stomach contents flushed. I can't remember the percentages but when it comes to bass, bluegill, etc.....it's extremely low.

Ever notice that some of the best smallie and walleye lakes are also first class Muskie fisheries? Lake st Clair, lake of the woods, come to mind.

I would challenge that line of thinking. I guide from Minnesota to the northern limits of musky range in Canada for musky and can tell you they do not discriminate. They may have preferences but I have seen countless muskies attack smallmouth on the line from the Mississippi on north.
I have had many attack walleyes being reeled in as well. I know of many terrific smallie lakes in Ontario that have primarily Muskie, lake trout, and bass for game species and whitefish and Cisco for forage base where every client will have Musky hit bass on the line at some time during the day. It’s very common.
As they get larger in those lakes the trophy’s tend to move out deep and prey from below on the Cisco and whitefish schools. Trolling under those huge schools in open water produces wonderful musky and pike as well if they share the water.
Musky are eating machines period. We even have multiple instances i recent years of musky in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Canada attacking people with their feet hanging in the water while sitting on docks.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
60 lb spoonbill and a 35 lb striper are my biggest of anything of note. Everything else is just run of the mill common sizes, not that those 2 are extremely big either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
Maybe not quite the best but fish and fisherman were about a dead heat weight wise. We accidentally caught this one about 2 hours ago while trolling plugs for walleye/saugeye. 15lb Pline on a 6500 Abu dragging a size 7 Rapala. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Good stuff right there.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dude got him an odd “best” this evening. Thought we had another flathead until he finally cranked this thing up beside the boat. Didn’t have a scale but I don’t see many bigger than this one around here. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Best trout[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

MOLON LABE
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Osky

Like the Gheenoe too😎

I would challenge that line of thinking. I guide from Minnesota to the northern limits of musky range in Canada for musky and can tell you they do not discriminate. They may have preferences but I have seen countless muskies attack smallmouth on the line from the Mississippi on north.
I have had many attack walleyes being reeled in as well. I know of many terrific smallie lakes in Ontario that have primarily Muskie, lake trout, and bass for game species and whitefish and Cisco for forage base where every client will have Musky hit bass on the line at some time during the day. It’s very common.
As they get larger in those lakes the trophy’s tend to move out deep and prey from below on the Cisco and whitefish schools. Trolling under those huge schools in open water produces wonderful musky and pike as well if they share the water.
Musky are eating machines period. We even have multiple instances i recent years of musky in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Canada attacking people with their feet hanging in the water while sitting on docks.

Osky

And there is a perfectly logical reason for that. It's a "fish in distress". Doesn't matter what the species is, a bigger fish sees a fish "fighting on a line" it's going to trigger the predatory instinct. You can challenge that line of thinking or you can look up Muskie diets and stomach contents that are actually factual and evidence backed. They are seemingly a fresh study released every year. Hard rayed fish are a VERY small percent of the diet.

Muskies will
Also hammer other smaller Muskies when on the line, same with northern pike.....but they are not part of the general diet and not negatively impacting other game fish populations. Again. Check LSC, lake of the woods, eagle lake, etc etc etc etc the list goes on. If that were the case....you could not have both a world class bass lake and a world class Muskie lake working together.

Eating machines LOL! Muskies are SUPER LAZY fish. And they in fact do not eat everyday. A big Muskie might go 2-: days between feeds. If they were eating machines they would be easier to catch. Because they are a pretty stupid fish.

As far as smoking toes off the dock. It's funny to me that when bluegill do it....it's cute. When a Muskie does it, he's a ferocious eating machine. If a fish sees something moving in the water, and thinks he can eat it.....he's going to. Idc what the species is.

I've spent all of my adult life around these fish....nothing conjures up more "stories and false assumptions" than a Muskie. Start chasing the fish, and you'll soon lay a bunch of this to rest.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Like the Gheenoe too😎

Osky

And there is a perfectly logical reason for that. It's a "fish in distress". Doesn't matter what the species is, a bigger fish sees a fish "fighting on a line" it's going to trigger the predatory instinct. You can challenge that line of thinking or you can look up Muskie diets and stomach contents that are actually factual and evidence backed. They are seemingly a fresh study released every year. Hard rayed fish are a VERY small percent of the diet.

Muskies will
Also hammer other smaller Muskies when on the line, same with northern pike.....but they are not part of the general diet and not negatively impacting other game fish populations. Again. Check LSC, lake of the woods, eagle lake, etc etc etc etc the list goes on. If that were the case....you could not have both a world class bass lake and a world class Muskie lake working together.

Eating machines LOL! Muskies are SUPER LAZY fish. And they in fact do not eat everyday. A big Muskie might go 2-: days between feeds. If they were eating machines they would be easier to catch. Because they are a pretty stupid fish.

As far as smoking toes off the dock. It's funny to me that when bluegill do it....it's cute. When a Muskie does it, he's a ferocious eating machine. If a fish sees something moving in the water, and thinks he can eat it.....he's going to. Idc what the species is.

I've spent all of my adult life around these fish....nothing conjures up more "stories and false assumptions" than a Muskie. Start chasing the fish, and you'll soon lay a bunch of this to rest.
I hear the same thing from the State. But the small mouth, redeye and blue gill population is nothing like it was 20 years ago. A couple hour canoe trip would get you over 100 smallies and redeyes. I haven't caught a single redeye in years in the the New River.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K

Like the Gheenoe too😎

Osky

Muskies will

I hear the same thing from the State. But the small mouth, redeye and blue gill population is nothing like it was 20 years ago. A couple hour canoe trip would get you over 100 smallies and redeyes. I haven't caught a single redeye in years in the the New River.

Funny, buddy guides on new river and HAMMERS the Smallies and rock bass, and walleye, and Muskies. 😂😂

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (12344mag, 160user, 21, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,695 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,452
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.