Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
What I’ve done in the past….

Old cast iron.

Throw it in a camp fire….

Burnt the gunk out.

While warm, coat with crisco.

THIS will work also if you need to re season it and get it smooth again. Done this a couple of times...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've read so many type oils over the years, & usually use Crisco myself. But when ya get right down to it, the one thing that was used a hundred years ago, 200 maybe, with success, might still be the ticket...lard.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I dont like to use a real high smoke point oil.

The carbon is what you want. Seasoning is nothing more than carbon left behind after an oil burns off.

Seasoning is not supposed to be gummy or sticky.

Vegetable oil or corn oil works fine. So does lard.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it is sticky, turn up the heat and put it back in.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
The carbon is what you want. Seasoning is nothing more than carbon left behind after an oil burns off.

Food for thought? carbon. Carbon introduced into iron. Carburized iron=steel. Steel, less porous than iron, less stick. Is it that simple yet that scientific? Ain't sayin it's right, just pondering & gettin in over my head.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Definately take a sander/grinder to a cast iron to make a MIRROR finish and then season it...

This does nothing but improve cast iron cookware. Even badly rusted cast iron utensil can be restored using an angle grinder unless it has holes in it. In that case drill some more holes and call it a colendar. I usually start with a wire cup brush. If that doesn't smooth it up a flap disc works well and you can get different grits. I wouldn't use a grinding wheel. A hand sander will work also.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Food for thought? carbon. Carbon introduced into iron. Carburized iron=steel. Steel, less porous than iron, less stick. Is it that simple yet that scientific? Ain't sayin it's right, just pondering & gettin in over my head.
I wondered about that too, used cast all my life, did most of the tips above with lesser or greater success...then about 5 yrs ago I went to a yardsale and saw a vintage US made carbon steel skillet (don't know about the metallurgy, but it rings when tapped). Night and day compared with my cast iron. Use it, abuse it, overheat it, cold wet food in the pan...it just doesn't stick. Savory Spider brand name. I was going to buy another one for the camp box on Ebay, but they are priced through the roof. I gave the lady 5 bucks for mine, but had to dump out the dog food, it wasn't really part of the yardsale, but she was on a roll.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I sanded the factory "seasoning" out and got it smooth, then seasoned it the way I do the rest of my cast iron. I only have one Lodge that had that new "factory seasoning" on it, but that is what I did. Took about 10-15 minutes to sand smooth.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
Originally Posted by beretzs
I seasoned right over the top of my last Lodge.

I'm kinda leaning that way myself
You can burn off the factory seasoning if you like. No great trick to it. Hot oven for an hour or two should do it. Then scrub with hot water and a good brush. Then start from scratch.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (257 mag, 160user, 35, 300_savage, 14 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,329
Posts18,505,923
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.