Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's difficult to tell with certainty without shooting the gun. All things being equal, the faster load will generate more recoil thus more total muzzle rise, however, this is offset by the faster load also having less time in the bore for the muzzle to rise and change point of impact related to point of aim. How those two balance out is a crap shoot. Depends somewhat on the shooter, but also on the gun .. the grip shape, etc.

I would shoot the gun with the old load, then with the new load, before changing or ordering a new front sight.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_O_M
It's difficult to tell with certainty without shooting the gun. All things being equal, the faster load will generate more recoil thus more total muzzle rise, however, this is offset by the faster load also having less time in the bore for the muzzle to rise and change point of impact related to point of aim. How those two balance out is a crap shoot. Depends somewhat on the shooter, but also on the gun .. the grip shape, etc.

I would shoot the gun with the old load, then with the new load, before changing or ordering a new front sight.

Tom

Novel theory, putting the differences of where POI is when changing loads on the shooter. No it’s got to be recoil, barrel time etc. even when the difference is minuscule. It’s always easier to blame the gun or load when what it really boils down to is the shooter doesn’t have the ability to discern the difference in hold and sight picture required.

Swifty
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Tom

Novel theory, putting the differences of where POI is when changing loads on the shooter. No it’s got to be recoil, barrel time etc. even when the difference is minuscule. It’s always easier to blame the gun or load when what it really boils down to is the shooter doesn’t have the ability to discern the difference in hold and sight picture required.

You still don't get it

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don’t get what?
All my sights are regulated for one load that is used for 90% of the shots taken with that pistol, after that if I shoot one that’s faster or slower it’s Kentucky windage and elevation. But then I could be one of the knucklefuggers that gets to the range and plays with the sights for a test load or plinker load then can’t remember what the hell it’s adjusted for.
Fixed sights all depend on what load and distance they were regulated for, you don’t know that then it’s a complete Kentucky windage/elevation situation till you find what works.
Or you can pick a load file or Change front sight until your regulation is where you want for that one load. Change the load or distance and they are clueless, which then turns them into a knucklefugger trying to figure out what the hell to do again. Seen it at pin matches, can’t hit the pins at 25 feet because their sights are regulated for 25 or whatever yardage or they change the load and don’t know how to correct it.
By the way any gun POI or pattern is going to change when the load is changed 150-200 fps up or down, it’s all about how the hell you deal with it. Also lately I haven’t seen to damn many people who can hold 2” shot to shot at 25 feet let alone 2” @ 25 yards.

Swifty
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
20 yards

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Why don't you shoot several different unregulated loads at your pin matches or was this a long exercise in you being a little dick, which we all know isn't a problem you need work on? Can't hold that .5 at 50 yards?

"A bullseye shooter isnt mixing target loads with full magnums expecting them to land in the same place without adjustments, none of which have anything to do with minimal change in the base trajectory."

Yeah, no [bleep]...everyone's been stating the obvious without having to be an ass about it, which you obviously can't help.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
In the 500 JRH when sighted in for a 420 gr bullet at 1386 FPS and shooting a 440 gr at 1000 FPS, the slower load hits consonderably higher.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tcp
Just so I can clarify for myself, a 240gr @ 1200fps is likely to impact lower than the same bullet at 1000 fps (even though recoil will be somewhat greater with the faster load)

It is my experience that a heavier bullet will impact higher than a lighter bullet at the same velocity (due to greater recoil)

Thanks

Everyone who is saying this, including you, is correct. Maybe in a 9mm it's harder to tell but once you get to .429 cal revolvers the relationship between velocity/bullet weight/POI is simple and repeatable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Tom

Absolutely, and don’t think for a moment that the bullet will stay in the same plane from right to left. When a different bullet leaves the barrel, it does it’s own thing.

Why else would you need a target to sight a gun in?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 45 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,238
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.