-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had them in 357, 41, and 44 magnum. I currently have a Single Six convertible

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When Super Blackhawks came out, I had a FFL. I bought and sold at cost 9 before I got one that shot extremely well. Some of the early Ruger's had very poor barrels.

Last edited by Bugger; 05/04/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a 4 5/8" .44 Special Flattop. I think I'd rather shoot it than any handgun I own. It goes afield when I do.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am a big fan and own a fair number of both OM's and NM's. I have never had an issue with one. These two are my latest purchases from the past couple of years. Both are TALO runs with Doug Turnbull/Ruger. The Bisley is a 45 Colt (1 of 500) and the SBH is, of course, a 44 Mag (1 of 1000). They are the most well put together factory Ruger's I have ever seen. Both were NIB though they no longer are. The grips are aftermarket ones I already had on hand.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
44 Spl Flattop here and also have a couple of 5 shot Bisley 480's. I prefer the Bisley grip for heavier loads.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Originally Posted by Creeker
I have 3 Blackhawks. Each hold a special place in my life.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I really like the front sight conversion on the top revolver. Please tell us about it!

I have a 4 5/8 .44 special flattop which I generally like very well, except for the front sight. Am I the only one who finds the angle of the front sight makes the thing want to disappear in various lighting conditions? I've killed five or six deer with the flattop, but also had to pass on some shots simply because the front sight wasn't sufficiently discernable. On the stainless guns, this is an easy fix. Simply get a properly angled front sight from Fernin Garza or Clements. Until Creeker's pic I've not seen an easy solution for the blued guns.

The front sight was too low & the little sixgun hit high for me. I wanted a taller front sight but didn't want to reblue. I purchased a sight blank from Brownells & a dovetail cutter. The front sight was milled off & a dovetail cut in the front base. About any machinist could do this. I shaped the sight to my liking & filed it to the correct height for my load & applied cold blue. It works great.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com][Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com][Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com][Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by centershot
Been a while since I have owned a Blackhawk, but seeing 357 Mag in a shop a few days ago for a reasonable price has me thinking it may be fun. The last ones I owned were a pair of Bisleys one in 22lr and the other in 45 Colt. They were fun but I ended up trading them off for something and now kind of have an itch for a single action revolver again. I did not see any recent threads about them so thought I'd start one up. So where's the love? or are single action revolvers 'not cool' enough to even talk about anymore........

Do it.

I'm a Ruger single action addict. They fit my hand, they fit my life. At the moment I don't have one in .357 but I'm shopping. I'd probably jump on a S&W M27 4" classic or a Lipsey's 5" half lug GP100 if I found one of those first.

What barrel length and finish does the gun you're looking at have?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They're okay I guess...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Been a while since I have owned a Blackhawk, but seeing 357 Mag in a shop a few days ago for a reasonable price has me thinking it may be fun. The last ones I owned were a pair of Bisleys one in 22lr and the other in 45 Colt. They were fun but I ended up trading them off for something and now kind of have an itch for a single action revolver again. I did not see any recent threads about them so thought I'd start one up. So where's the love? or are single action revolvers 'not cool' enough to even talk about anymore........

Do it.

I'm a Ruger single action addict. They fit my hand, they fit my life. At the moment I don't have one in .357 but I'm shopping. I'd probably jump on a S&W M27 4" classic or a Lipsey's 5" half lug GP100 if I found one of those first.

What barrel length and finish does the gun you're looking at have?

Did it. Got out yesterday and put a few rounds through it. Properly sooted up from Bullseye & 148gr LWC 38's. in this photo. It came with the Herrett stock shown in pic. Would like to find some stock grips for it also.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really love mine..

I have a a pair of .41 Mags. A new model that I bought and an old converted 3 screw that my Dad bought brand new.

I also have a 5.5" Vaquero Bisley in .45 Colt that I really love.

Todd

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm fond of them. Especially the Bisley Blackhawks. Mine are all Bisleys except for the Buckeye 38/40/10mm with the standard grip.

Top left, the Buckeye, top right, 357 mag, second row left, Flattop 44 Special, second row right, Turnbull 45 Colt, middle, 480, bottom left, 44 mag, bottom right, 41 mag.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Something I find interesting is that Ruger Model 77 bolt action rifles get little respect from the connoisseurs and cognoscenti as the basis for a fine custom firearm, yet as can be seen from several beautiful examples here the Blackhawk in its many iterations is lavished with all manner of work to turn it into a work of art.

Not making any editorial comment here, just noting the incongruous attitude. If someone has an editorial opinion on this please feel free.

P.S. My first centerfire handgun was an Old Model .357 Blackhawk with 6 1/2" barrel bought in 1968, I learned to reload on that. Have long since lost count of the number of Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks that have come and gone but a conservative estimate would put that as at least two dozen, likely a bit more. Blackhawks were also what I used to learn the kind of shade tree gunsmithing that makes real machinists cringe; made most all of them more accurate to a lot more accurate and only ruined one. wink

Down to a single example now, a New Model .357 Blackhawk with 6 1/2" barrel. I don't blast handgun loads at full volume much these days, but when I do that Blackhawk is the one that comfortably handles the job, emphasis on comfortably.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Did it. Got out yesterday and put a few rounds through it. Properly sooted up from Bullseye & 148gr LWC 38's. in this photo. It came with the Herrett stock shown in pic. Would like to find some stock grips for it also.

Good lookin' gun! A three-screw, no less. That's good for some extra style point.

Grips .. I'm not sure if that has the XR3 grip frame or the XR3-RED grip frame .. grips aren't interchangeable. Finding exact matches to the old Ruger walnut grips seems difficult. What's available is either too fat or too skinny, I haven't found a right match for my recent single actions. (I've had good luck with the Hogue bisley grips in black micarta .. require a little sanding / filing for an exact fit, but the final result is better than factory.) To me the original / correct wood grips had a feel similar to the single action army. The new ones are either like the Colt Navy DA (too skinny) or S&W target (too fat) guns. If you find something perfect please let me know!

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Its the RED frame version. Pretty handy they cast it right on the frame.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

.357 Mag.... or Super Single-Six convertible?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GR

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by SS336
I have a this flat top convertible that I like a lot. Very accurate and well made. From the Lipsey first run. Worked on by Ron Power it is one smooth revolver.

I like the grips. They are obviously made from dead wood. At least it appears to be. because of the signs of fungus in the lighter and upper part of the right grip panel. I guy from the forrestry service I know used to work with deas wood by carving it. Sometimes it was quite fragile and difficult to work with. You could start to work and were almost finished with the candle holder or whatever you wanted to carve and suddenly everything was gone and your work was for nothing.

Elmer Keith
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought these from Esmeralda, she calls them Rosewood Picazo. I have no clue on what the Picazo means. It’s probably been stabilized be fore carving. They have stood up well. I just got them because I thought they looked pretty cool. 😁

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Bought this Bisley Blackhawk from a bear hunter who took many with it. 45LC caliber. He shortened barrel for "handiness". When I recieved it, he also gave me about 40 of his favorite reloads. With a 2 handed hold, revolver wanted to fly out of my hands, was terrible to shoot ! Found out what powder he used (H-110), was 2-3 grains above max in most of my books. Broke them down and reduced powder some. I will say they are strong !

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Probably my favorite Bisley, once a SBH.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
How do those Pachmyer grips work with the roll of recoil?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (69sportfury, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,513
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.