Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm interested in people's interpretation of the talent parable in Matthew. There's another in Luke that's nearly identical, but it's pounds instead of talents. If you have a legit opinion on this I'd like to read it. I'd rather this not be a 35 page argument like most biblical threads.

Romans 5:1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
The Master gave his men/slaves Talent(s) which was a quantity of Silver.........

He gave each based on their ABILITIES......... He did not give them ABILITIES! They already had that....

So, Talents in the parable do NOT equate to ones' (little t) talents and abilities........

The question that needs to be asked is: What have we been left with or provided, that we are to apply our ABILITIES to, that we are in some way accountable for?

------

HINT: 2 Corinthians 4

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We were always taught that a talent was a measure of money.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Use what you are given, don't put that light under a basket. We are to work, and we given things to be responsible for, no porch sitting and drinking 40s.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by worriedman
Use what you are given, don't put that light under a basket.

"This little light of mine; I'm going to let it shine..."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
They were all given the same 'THING' but in different quantities???

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I get a few things out of this. I believe the story is about faithfulness and obedience. If we are faithful and good stewards with a few things, we will receive more with possibly a double blessing as well.

The story seems to be suggesting to grow and improve the investment. No growth equals no return. Don’t waste money, time, abilities, and opportunities. Be a faithful steward of money, time, abilities, and opportunities. Grow His investments (our blessings) in this life for His glory.

I believe the Master in the parable represents Jesus, and He (like the master) will be back to see what we did with what He gave us. Be ready for the return of Jesus, as He is coming back again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Master is Christ, the servants or slaves are His people not the lost, talents are various gifts such as spiritual gifts found in 1 Cor 12, Eph 4 and Rom 12, when He returns His servants will give an account of what they have done with their gifts and they will be rewarded according to their faithfulness.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's a parable about spiritual gifts each believer has been given and how he uses his gifts.

LOL
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The man who was given one talent returned it unto the Lord with no gain, and he was called an unprofitable servant. He was cast into outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. Why? He knew his master reaped where he didn't sow, and was a harsh man. He returned what he was given. The best explanation I've heard is talents represent opportunities, the 1st one being accepting Jesus. After that the more you're given, the more shall be expected. I'm still not entirely sure I'm interpreting this correctly. I will consider everyone's opinion though. I might learn something

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
IMHO, the Talents represent the Gospel.....

The master, in the parable, did not give them abilities or opportunities, he gave them Silver, cash money, something of great value, a treasure.....

Our 'Talent' is, again, IMHO, the Gospel....

We all 'hold' it in varying degrees, we all have different abilities and opportunities........... and will in some way account for what we have done with the portion we held.....

2 Corinthians 4

( . Y . )
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've thought this also, because the servant who returned it, or rejected it was punished in the worst way

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To me, God’s given each of us unique opportunities and responsibilities. And He, and we, will be most gratified when we make good use of them.

He cares about what we do with what we have. It’s about embracing our response ability.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
The man who was given one talent returned it unto the Lord with no gain, and he was called an unprofitable servant. He was cast into outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. Why? He knew his master reaped where he didn't sow, and was a harsh man. He returned what he was given. The best explanation I've heard is talents represent opportunities, the 1st one being accepting Jesus. After that the more you're given, the more shall be expected. I'm still not entirely sure I'm interpreting this correctly. I will consider everyone's opinion though. I might learn something

Jesus as a harsh man who reaps where he doesn't sow concerns me.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Muffin
The Master gave his men/slaves Talent(s) which was a quantity of Silver.........

He gave each based on their ABILITIES......... He did not give them ABILITIES! They already had that....

So, Talents in the parable do NOT equate to ones' (little t) talents and abilities........

The question that needs to be asked is: What have we been left with or provided, that we are to apply our ABILITIES to, that we are in some way accountable for?

------

HINT: 2 Corinthians 4

Nobody chooses their abilities. That is a matter of genes and environment, nature and nurture. A Forrest Gump can't choose to be an Einstein.....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
To me the lesson is that we all start at different places with different abilities from talent to family financial status. The lesson to be learned is to take what you have and do the most that you can with it.

It’s not about comparing yourself to others. It’s about working hard and being fruitful given whatever parameters that you have or gifts that you’ve been blessed with.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some are 'blessed' more than others in every respect, health, looks, intelligence, athleticism, wealth, status.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I appreciate the interpretations and projections posted above and have no quibble with any of them

Early on I recognized the work ethic lessons and monetary significance. However, it seems that I chose to apply it all more literally - according to modern parlance – our own God given talents. So, have tried to emphasize – and have encouraged many other as well – that we are obligated and challenged to recognize the strong talents, abilities, insights and other gifts that God has given us, and that we are constantly to develop those as deeply and widely as we can. And, we are to use them for our own personal growth, in helping others, in setting examples, and especially to apply this growth in the worship of God.

This development of talents, abilities, insights is an every day quest and adventure. In it, we can learn so much about ourselves, others, and God.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Some are 'blessed' more than others in every respect, health, looks, intelligence, athleticism, wealth, status.....
"Blessed" may be interpreted many ways, and as individuals we often miss the mark when assuming how others may or may not be - more or less - blessed. Very subjective judgments in the eye of the beholder - and no two such assessments likely to be exactly the same.

To me, the point of the noted parable is not how much was "given", more or less, but how well the gifts were developed. With regard to your statement, do you not understand that persons who choose to do so can strive and succeed in growing their intelligence, wealth, status, etc.?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.