Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The parable is a comparison of that story of using one's abilities to grow what they are gifted by their master to the sharing of what God has gifted the believer.

I don't think the Lord will judge me for not being a minister, a missionary or an evangelist. I don't have those skill sets and never worked to develop them. I'm not a public speaker. They hold a very high responsibility to God for their actions and influence.

But I do know He has been at times disappointed with me, whenever I did not do what I was fully able to do, to be what I know I should have been.
One good friend committed suicide. Did not see it coming. Best golf bud was killed in car vs. pedestrian accident. Both losses were hard on me.
I never shared any testimony or discussion of Christ with them. Many opportunities. I failed.

The walk is tough at times. I remind myself daily now, being a positive example to younger family members is job #1.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by DBT
Some are 'blessed' more than others in every respect, health, looks, intelligence, athleticism, wealth, status.....
"Blessed" may be interpreted many ways, and as individuals we often miss the mark when assuming how others may or may not be - more or less - blessed. Very subjective judgments in the eye of the beholder - and no two such assessments likely to be exactly the same.

To me, the point of the noted parable is not how much was "given", more or less, but how well the gifts were developed. With regard to your statement, do you not understand that persons who choose to do so can strive and succeed in growing their intelligence, wealth, status, etc.?

Not everyone has the mental capacity or means. They are not 'blessed' with these things.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
All the great men on the Bible were wealthy men, Blessed by God.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by DBT
Not everyone has the mental capacity or means. They are not 'blessed' with these things.

According to the promises found in His Word, they will not be judged the same as those who hold those blessings and gifts.

Everyone will stand judgement. Everyone is offered the gift of eternal life.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Talents were a measure of Jewish money - currency.

Pounds are a measure of Gentile money - currency. So it doesn't matter whether you are a Jew or a Gentile. God has the same expectation of you.
The two servants that put the money out to usury both doubled their investment.

Matthew was a Jew and his gospel deals largely with the nation of Israel.
Luke was likely a Gentile and his gospel leans towards Gentiles.
My take away on this is for us to serve the Lord with all our heart, soul, strength and minds -- as of the abilities that God gives.

Last edited by the_shootist; 05/10/22.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by the_shootist

Pounds are

Thank you for verifying that.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Muffin
The Master gave his men/slaves Talent(s) which was a quantity of Silver.........

He gave each based on their ABILITIES......... He did not give them ABILITIES! They already had that....

So, Talents in the parable do NOT equate to ones' (little t) talents and abilities........

The question that needs to be asked is: What have we been left with or provided, that we are to apply our ABILITIES to, that we are in some way accountable for?

------

HINT: 2 Corinthians 4

Nobody chooses their abilities. That is a matter of genes and environment, nature and nurture. A Forrest Gump can't choose to be an Einstein.....

That's correct, and I didn't say you could choose your abilities. As in the parable, we are not accountable for what we cannot do, but what we can...........

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Since justification is not obtained or maintained by works how does a reward interpretation fit?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Pounds are

A couple posts back it is finished. Sorry, for the mix up.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Appreciate the input folks. My dad asked me about this parable 2 months prior to his death. I could not give a definitive answer. I'm certain he understands it fully now.

Romans 5:1
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Pounds are

A couple posts back it is finished. Sorry, for the mix up.

No need for any sorriness - I was thanking you for verifying what I had always been taught. Have a great night.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This has been a great thread with a lot of excellent well thought out responses.

Condolences for the loss of your dad.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
I've thought this also, because the servant who returned it, or rejected it was punished in the worst way

Wasnt the worst way to be cast into Hell? He was a believer. Why associate "outer darkness" to Hell? He failed and was not rewarded.

Do you cast your nonproductive child to Hell?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by IZH27
Since justification is not obtained or maintained by works how does a reward interpretation fit?

This.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The talents are well explained in 1 Cor 12:1-12. The parable explains how using our various God-given talents blesses not only ourselves but the lives of others; enriching both parties spiritually.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
The Master gave his men/slaves Talent(s) which was a quantity of Silver.........

He gave each based on their ABILITIES......... He did not give them ABILITIES! They already had that....

So, Talents in the parable do NOT equate to ones' (little t) talents and abilities........

The question that needs to be asked is: What have we been left with or provided, that we are to apply our ABILITIES to, that we are in some way accountable for?

------

HINT: 2 Corinthians 4

Nobody chooses their abilities. That is a matter of genes and environment, nature and nurture. A Forrest Gump can't choose to be an Einstein.....

That's correct, and I didn't say you could choose your abilities. As in the parable, we are not accountable for what we cannot do, but what we can...........

The thing is, what you can or can't do is related to you abilities. Some do poorly, constantly making bad decisions, because their abilities are poor. A gifted sprinter can sprint to the best of their ability, while another can barely shuffle their feet....a good businessman may have an innate knack for investments and thrive, while at the bottom of the spectrum, a bad businessman, not through lack of trying, cannot pick a winner, every decision loses money and they go bankrupt.

If one is judged by ability, success or failure, the cards are rigged from the beginning; those 'blessed' with the right stuff are guaranteed entry into paradise.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One crucial thing to note is that the servant who was given the least was punished for not making the most of it.

No matter what you are given, whether it's a life-long bed in a nursing home or a hot wife and a million $$, God expects us to use our blessings for Him.

This is a tough one.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
The man who was given one talent returned it unto the Lord with no gain, and he was called an unprofitable servant. He was cast into outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. Why? He knew his master reaped where he didn't sow, and was a harsh man. He returned what he was given. The best explanation I've heard is talents represent opportunities, the 1st one being accepting Jesus. After that the more you're given, the more shall be expected. I'm still not entirely sure I'm interpreting this correctly. I will consider everyone's opinion though. I might learn something
Jesus as a harsh man who reaps where he doesn't sow concerns me.
It's easy to see Jesus as harsh when tragedy seems to follow one. But it's not the correct view. It's a view that sends people to Hell.

We should ALL be afraid of falling into that view (or at least I should, because I don't know if I can live up to this passage) because it's such an easy path to take.

Last edited by Tyrone; 05/11/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The bad servant lacked works, but his real problem was he lacked faith. Look at how he viewed God.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
The thing is, what you can or can't do is related to you abilities. Some do poorly, constantly making bad decisions, because their abilities are poor. A gifted sprinter can sprint to the best of their ability, while another can barely shuffle their feet....a good businessman may have an innate knack for investments and thrive, while at the bottom of the spectrum, a bad businessman, not through lack of trying, cannot pick a winner, every decision loses money and they go bankrupt.
If one is judged by ability, success or failure, the cards are rigged from the beginning; those 'blessed' with the right stuff are guaranteed entry into paradise.
Have you never considered, or witnessed, the plethora of examples where folks - some with limited "abilities or gifts" - have struggled, learned much and worked hard to create wonderful outcomes for themselves and others. Have you never considered the fact that degree of inherent abilities is not the key to this discussion - because having great abilities insures nothing with regard to outcomes.

The moral being, it is not what you have or are given - it's a matter of how well you apply what you have.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1941USMC, 50 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,647
Posts18,493,344
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.