Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by DBT
Even in America, for each success story how many do not succeed? A lot of people aspire to be millionaires, but what percentage make it?
Your focus shows you've totally missed Jesus' message. You have a pre-Christian, even pagan understanding of God's love and what it means.

Look into "victim souls" with the realization that all of us suffer and that you will too, in all likelihood, suffer greatly. Will you be able to pick up your cross? That's not an easy question for any of us.

The bad servant was unwilling to pick up his cross, he had no faith. Like DBT, he equated riches with God's love.

I'm talking about conditions that aid or suppress success. If someone is judged harshly on the basis of circumstances or conditions that are out of the control of the individual, it isn't a fair judgment.

Our own judicial system takes multiple factors into account before passing judgment. Some of what is written in the Bible suggests a lower standard.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by CCCC
Your lengthy cut and paste of stats from a bunch of sociology majors was aimed at "inequality" (which always has existed, and always will), but provides not an iota of proof or support for your statement - the focus of this thread is upon those who develop their talents, grow, contribute and succeed.

It's a complex issue.

You made the claim that some of those born in poverty have made good, which is true. I never made a claim about "born in poverty". I spoke of folks born with limited "abilities and gifts". Please read it again.

The question is how many, and what percentage? I made a guesstimate. Not many. Very few in that demographic become wealthy. The topic here is not focused on wealth and I did not address wealth. You brought that in. Due to your lack of focus on the topic, the remainder of your post comes across as inapplicable in a thread dealing with human effort and success/failure. If you must obsess with wealth inequality worldwide, why not stat your own thread on that topic?

If there is a billion living in abject poverty....what percentage of this demographic become successful business people?

If it's a fair percentage that do, poverty would be eliminated within decades.

That has not happened.

The majority of those born into poverty stay poor. That some make good, of which there are examples, doesn't mean that most or even many in that demographic are likely to become successful.

Those that do are the exception, not the rule.

That was the point of my remark. Those that do succeed have marketable skills and luck on their side and are in the minority.

Some have absolutely no hope. You know that there are gangs still operating in places like Mumbai, Calcutta, etc that abduct and mutilate children in order to increase their earning power as street beggars?

Well the children make nothing and have no hope of becoming wealthy, while their handlers thrive.

Justice? A fair go for all? Nah, the world doesn't work like that.

''Limited abilities and gifts'' is part and parcel of someone's circumstances.

A child born into poverty in India, abducted and mutilated by slum gangs for the purpose of using them as a street beggar - for example - has virtually no hope of becoming wealthy and successful in life.

The best they can hope for is to be rescued by a charity.

Trotting out a rare example of someone that has succeeded despite astronomical odds doesn't alter the fact that the majority in that situation most likely die in squalor.

The point being that the location circumstances of one's birth,genes, intelligence, family, nation, etc, go a long way in determining how your life goes.

The life of a child born to a wealthy family in the US is vastly different to that of an Untouchable born on the streets of Calcutta.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why is it that some atheists insist on trying to hijack discussions of Christian reasoning and concepts, seemingly trying to divert others to massage their atheist obsessions - such as "worldwide wealth inequality" and "someones circumstances".

When a person believes that God does not exist, maybe they experience some serious void which compels them to barge into discussions of Godly matters completely foreign to atheists. "Look at me, please look at and listen to me" - insisting that they be given some credence by folks who hold completely different beliefs regarding the key factor in life. That must represent a life of dissatisfaction.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,664
Posts18,493,675
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.