Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
John I hope you the best and hope you drop your moose on the edge of a forest road!

GreggH

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

In Montana I've heard a couple answers to the question, "Where do you shoot a moose?"

1) Between the ruts in the road.
2) On the uphill side of the road.

Eileen's first moose, her medium-sized bull, was about 125 yards from a Forest Service road--but downhill. Luckily it wasn't a super-steep downhill....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thanks Rex--and luv2safari!

Must say I am tempted to use my Griffin and Howe Springfield when hunting on Forest Service/BLM land, but that's one of of the constant conflicts of hunting-gun loonies....

With a tag like that with value described as “decades of effort”, Dead Moose by any means says a lot. Says more than enough actually, much less having been made dead by such a classic rifle. Looking forward to the recap.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Moose a once in a lifetime tag in Montana? Here in Idaho you can shoot a bull and cow. Wondering if Montana is the same.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
In Montana you have to wait seven years before applying for moose again--no lifetime limit on tags except luck.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Congrats!! Make sure you post the story

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
So JB what load for the GH Springfield 30-06 ?...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Probably 220-grain Nosler Partition at around 2500 fps. Found three boxes I handloaded for another Springfield 1903 years ago, for an African safari that never happened because during my first flight-leg of the trip, to Salt Lake City, the Twin Towers were toppled in NYC.

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Thanks!

In Montana I've heard a couple answers to the question, "Where do you shoot a moose?"

Eileen's first moose, her medium-sized bull, was about 125 yards from a Forest Service road--but downhill. Luckily it wasn't a super-steep downhill....
If you are really lucky there may be another option.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks!

My Uncle shot a cow moose down in Centennial Valley in 97. Lucky for us it was uphill ~80 yards from the road and on 2 inches of snow. We took two drags to get it onto a trailer my other uncle backed into a barrow bit. I've worked harder for most of my deer. Thankfully he missed the ones he tried for in the swamp below the road.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats! That will be some great eating!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sounds like a plan JB...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Congrats on drawing the tag, JB. If you decide to use the 45 colt, I have some components if you are missing anything. Good luck

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for the offer, but have plenty of components. (Have had plenty since several "shortages" ago.)

However, am rethinking using the .45 Colt, as the grizzly population keeps increasing in our area--so far mostly in the mountains around town. Just a few days ago somebody got a photo of a mature bear in one of the Forest Service/BlM drainages where I might look for a moose.

But they they will probably showing up any time now along the riverbottoms. Had one encounter with a griz when hunting pheasants near Ronan, Montana in similar valley-bottom habitat 30-some years ago--in the area where more than one pheasant hunter already had to shoot a charging griz, or was mauled.

Which is one reason I'll probably opt for my 12-gauge 870 with the rifled-slug barrel on the riverbottom, and the G&H .30-06 with 220 Partitions in the mountains.

Am sure a single-action .45 Colt with my handloads (305-grain hard-cast at 1200+ fps) would work either on a moose or grizzly, would trust a pump 12 or a bolt-action repeater more when push comes to shove.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Congrats on the tag MD. Yes, I am sincerely jealous. Good luck!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

Luckily, it's a long firearms season, as I noted, from September 15th through the Sunday after Thanksgiving. And I can hunt a LOT, and know the country well.

Plus, it's an area, as many are in Montana, with plenty of public land. In the 32 years we've lived here, Eileen and I have taken pronghorns, whitetails, mule deer, bighorn sheep (though both were ewes), black bears, elk, and her second moose, on public land within an hour's drive of our house. Along with at least eight species of upland game, and quite a bit of waterfowl. But this isn't unusual in Montana, or several other western states.

One of the more interesting things is how much we've learned about where all the game lives not just by specifically hunting for that animal, but by encountering them while hunting other stuff! Have run into moose while hunting upland birds from ruffed grouse to pheasants, and big game from whitetails to elk.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh, should have edited my post above.......You SUCK !!!!!!!!!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
John,
I don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but when you mentioned eight species of upland birds I started trying to come up with all of them. I'm coming up a couple short.

I've got: Pheasants
Huns
Ruffed grouse
Dusky (Blue) grouse
Spruce grouse
Mourning Doves

What am I missing? Snipe? I didn't think there would be Sharptails or Quail up there. I'm stumped.

Last edited by JayJunem; 05/17/22.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,702
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.