Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by LBP
Anybody have a MPI mountain rifle compact weight?

20 oz. with a Decelerator pad with metal plate removed
That sounds like the lightest, how do you like it? Have any pics?

Funny story. I originally ordered a McMillan, 3 months into the wait they informed me they no longer offered that stock.
So I ordered a Manners, 3 months into that order they informed me that model was no longer available... terrible customer service from both of them.
So I called MPI and talked to the gal that answered the phone, she knew her stuff and understood what I wanted, 6 weeks latter I had my MPI mountain rifle stock in hand, I ordered the Kevlar option, they have two lighter options.
I like the stock very much, it was minimal work to bed and paint and can't understand why they aren't more popular.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by LBP
Anybody have a MPI mountain rifle compact weight?

20 oz. with a Decelerator pad with metal plate removed
That sounds like the lightest, how do you like it? Have any pics?

Funny story. I originally ordered a McMillan, 3 months into the wait they informed me they no longer offered that stock.
So I ordered a Manners, 3 months into that order they informed me that model was no longer available... terrible customer service from both of them.
So I called MPI and talked to the gal that answered the phone, she knew her stuff and understood what I wanted, 6 weeks latter I had my MPI mountain rifle stock in hand, I ordered the Kevlar option, they have two lighter options.
I like the stock very much, it was minimal work to bed and paint and can't understand why they aren't more popular.

That’s sounds nice, I think I’m going to check them out.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Brown Precision finished a Winchester Classic build for me this fall. The bedded stock (14 LOP, Slim pad) weighs 20.5 oz.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by eamyrick
Brown Precision finished a Winchester Classic build for me this fall. The bedded stock (14 LOP, Slim pad) weighs 20.5 oz.

That's pretty damn good. The one I just bought weighs in at 25 oz's.. according to the seller. The Pachmayr decelerator is a heavy pad, but will be perfect for my 300wby its going on..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That's pretty damn good. The one I just bought weighs in at 25 oz's.. according to the seller. The Pachmayr decelerator is a heavy pad, but will be perfect for my 300wby its going on..
It may not be a “pounder” - but it’s a hell of a nice stock either way. I’ve weighed more than a handful of Browns that aren’t pounders that are in the 26 ounce range.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It may not be a “pounder” - but it’s a hell of a nice stock either way. I’ve weighed more than a handful of Browns that aren’t pounders that are in the 26 ounce range.

We'll see when it gets here. Either way I will be happy with it. At 25 oz's it sure beats what is on there now and is very comparable to the Mcmillan hunters edge stocks I've had. Its going on a 300wby, so it also doesn't have to be an extreme lightweight. I'll compare it to my PoundR, when it gets here and let you know. Dang it took a long time for just the right stock to show up for that rifle!!!!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Brown has a 338 for me right now. If he can hit 24-26oz with a .8 pad I’ll be pretty happy. The Brown ergos are awesome.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Brown has a 338 for me right now. If he can hit 24-26oz with a .8 pad I’ll be pretty happy. The Brown ergos are awesome.

Well said. I love mine. They mitigate recoil better, for me, than any other stock I've tried. One of the reasons my rifle shoots so well. I think paired with the magnums like your 338 and the 300wby, they are a great match. A big heavy barreled 375 or something like that, I'm not sure?? Also, my 338wm weighs in at 7 pounds without the scope, so its fairly light, but still is pretty easy to shoot.. Brown charges a lot of money, but I'm sure your rifle will be pretty damn nice when you get it. The only thing I would have done differently is get a full 1" pachmayr decelerator on it, instead of the .8" pad. Since it's going on a 338wm. What is the finished weight going to be?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have what I think is an MPI on a pre64 270 I just picked up. I’d buy another with no questions. It’s 26oz but have no idea of it’s composition being 2nd hand.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I have what I think is an MPI on a pre64 270 I just picked up. I’d buy another with no questions. It’s 26oz but have no idea of it’s composition being 2nd hand.
Can you post a pic?

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Not sure. I’ll have to look at the barreled action weight. I’m restocking a Jim Kobe build on a pre-64 458 action with custom bottom metal. Had the barrel cut and crowned at 23 and it’s gonna get coated when Brown is done.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tarquin;
Good afternoon sir, I hope the day's giving you weather you need and you're well.

Thanks for the thread, it's interesting to see what different stocks actually weigh.

Here's a Wildcat Composites out of Edmonton. This is bare stock - no pad, but it does have cast composite pillars and a carbon fiber I beam running from the grip to the fore end.

[Linked Image]

Loaded, walking around weight - 98 action, 21" 6.5x55

[Linked Image]

The most recent paint job.

[Linked Image]

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dwayne,
Great looking stock and nice finished product. I was going to post a picture of an m70 wc but you beat me to it. M70 long action pattern from Stewart is 18.7 ounces bare - pre-pad and finish. True shame that we can’t get them in the states anymore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MPI - I think…
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I think it’s an MPI because next to a Brown on my Sako AV Fiberclass - it’s much different but nearly exact in texture. Sako (L) MPI (R)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 06/06/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
AKwolverine;
Good afternoon sir, thanks for the reply.

I'd not heard that they weren't available stateside anymore?

Has that been for awhile?

Was just on the site and there is still US pricing.

I've done two from Stuart - the Mauser and a long action Model 70 Featherweight. It weighed about the same as yours if I'm not remembering wrong.

Dwayne

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wayne York’s stock for the Howa Mini is 18oz. Don’t know about the other models. Nice stuff though.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dwayne,

Always a pleasure to read your polite and informative posts. I have to admit I lose it once in a while (like a minute ago) in the face of dumbassitude, but you keep your Jesus under fire.

Well done!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pappy348;
Good evening to you sir, thanks so much for the kind words, I do appreciate them.

I'll do my best to deserve them in future posts as well.

Thanks again and God Bless.

Dwayne

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Tarquin;
Good afternoon sir, I hope the day's giving you weather you need and you're well.

Thanks for the thread, it's interesting to see what different stocks actually weigh.

Here's a Wildcat Composites out of Edmonton. This is bare stock - no pad, but it does have cast composite pillars and a carbon fiber I beam running from the grip to the fore end.

[Linked Image]

Loaded, walking around weight - 98 action, 21" 6.5x55

[Linked Image]

The most recent paint job.

[Linked Image]

Dwayne

Nice and light sir! Thanks for sharing.

Tarquin
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not sure. I’ll have to look at the barreled action weight. I’m restocking a Jim Kobe build on a pre-64 458 action with custom bottom metal. Had the barrel cut and crowned at 23 and it’s gonna get coated when Brown is done.

Sounds pretty nice. Maybe you can start a thread on it in the Winchester collector's forum here when you get it back. Thanks..

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 1eyedmule, 1234, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,039 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,831
Posts18,496,677
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.