Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Things change, competitive people go where the competition is, change the rules to make things easier, the result is the exact reverse of the desired effect.
When I started shooting Sporting Clays, I found quite a few World Speed, IPSC, Silhouette and Cowboy Action shooters on the weekly clays line. Clays may well be the most expensive shooting sport, but the expense does not deter the competitive spirit one bit.
Try this on for size, multiple types of guns in the 8-15k each range, A clays cart and clays cart vehicle trailer, several hundered cases of shells of each guage and shot size on hand, annual membership at a club, shoot 100 round sets three times a week with every station setup at a competition set. You need to shoot sub guage class in the mid 90s to even start to be competitive in the 12-16 guage class. Plus you need a half dozen ranges to go to, in order to stay tuned up. Mediocrity does not improve competition or participation, excellence in shooters improves participation, people come to shoot with or against the best.

It took a bit of time for me to get it also, so do not be shocked. It is pretty simple, mountain climbers do not walk up hills. Every single time the preposed answer is less, you get less.

I spent 40+ years as a match director, tried everything I could think of to improve participation, inclusing creating new shooting games. It never occoured to me that difficulty was the only driving force of competition.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Around here it is about dead. The shooters seem to have aged out.
The black rifle crowd now occupies the vast majority of nenches at the club range.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I think so.
I am in the center of Wyoming. Wyoming is called the "Cowboy State" and 20-25 years ago Cowboy Action Shooting was a big thing here.

But those involved were mostly of the age groups that grew up on Westerns both from TV and movies. The next generation had only the connection through the older generation and 3 gun "combat shooting"
So every one I know in Wyoming and also in Nevada and Montana that "used to" shoot CAS or even tried it have told me the same story;
Cowbow Action is over-regulated. "Safety" so strict it's impractical. We look at the "run and gun" shooters and the fact that their safety record is extremely good and then look at the Cowboy-Crowd and I understand the frustration. A lot of money needs to be spent on guns and then on costume, and once spent you are treated like a 4 year old child by a "range master" who will not let you start from the holster with a hand gun or from a combat ready position with a shotgun or rifle, and if you step out of a "box" you are disqualified. To those who can wear street clothing, and only invest in guns, ammo and shooting gear and learn some real skills to go to pre-kindergarten with "Cowboy Rules" is somewhat insulting to their abilities and even to their intelligence. (One thing I have heard objections to is the need to have a "name" to be in the competition I.E. Windy Bill, Prairie sally and so on)

None of these things are "bad' in themselves, but all are very poor policies if the older generations want to instill any interest in the next generation in that sport. Kids and grow up in shooting sports from a generation of constant wars on the news and movies and want to emulate a fight, (to learn the skills) are not impressed with such ridiculous rules, when buying a 9MM pistol, a pump shotgun and an AR15 rifle (Or any 1 of them to start with) give them a LOT of leeway to learn skills with and cost less. And in most cases their intelligence is not insulted in Combat Action shooting.

I am an old muzzleloader guy and I see the same decline in the sport of shooting flintlocks, but the Cowboy Action Crowd seemed to go way too far with their "safety" rules to a point it's not teaching safety at all, but only treating people like they were 4 year olds.

Last edited by szihn; 02/13/24.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The shooting events looked like fun, but the ridiculous costumes were a turn off. Some even had fantasy names and did role playing. No wonder it's losing popularity. The focus should be on fun competition. They've lost focus.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It is typical of any competitive shooting discipline, to try and get an edge on another shooter to win. Rules got more complicated as people tried to make it more to their liking and modify the sport accordingly.

The first match I shot, was open to any western lever action or single action revolver, and shotguns with hammers. There was both a minimum and maximum power factor so that even a 30-30 or similar rifle would be appropriate when it was below the maximum power factor to be safe and not destroy targets. The minimum power factor made it harder for gamers, because the revolver was supposed to mimic what a real western revolver would have been and recoil was a big part of those guns.

The targets were steel and had to be knocked down to count as a hit, and all the light loaded 38’s and 32’s wouldn’t work so it did keep a more realistic aspect of the guns and what they traditionally were. Scenerios were designed around possible shooting situations and other activities were implemented to make it a fun stage and add to the reality. Before long, rules changed due to the gamer mentality and the gun became a modified tool and not so much of a real western gun.

Soon it became a match of big targets at close range so they could be hit easily and accuracy was not important. Then it morphed into dump targets and anything that facilitated fast shooting with little focus on aiming and shooting a gun like you might have in the 1880’s.

Reverse pawls, stroke kits and many other modifications became allowed and the traditional aspect of the shoot was lost to competitive advantages, so it began to appeal to more specialized shooters than history buffs that just liked guns of the old west.

2008 changed America, and the interest as well as affordability of the sport, saw a decline that hasn’t recovered. Age as well, has contributed to the decline. We still have shoots locally, but not as many and not that well attended anymore. I love the guns and shoot all original guns because I like the history and the role those guns played in the west and growing up watching western films.

It is easier to not go the older I get, but it is still fun for both my wife and myself to shoot. Winning was what changed the game, shooting is what kept it going…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel
It is typical of any competitive shooting discipline, to try and get an edge on another shooter to win. Rules got more complicated as people tried to make it more to their liking and modify the sport accordingly

Precisely, at first we had whole families participating. Husbands ,wives, sons, and daughters. Kids wore blue jeans, ball, caps, and tennis shoes. One set of firearms were used by the entire family. More rules, slowly, participation slowed down. First the kids went,then the wives. I quit when SAS ruled no blue jeans. Finally the died hards went to another club that had the strict rules. All the props are gone now. The old berms are used for recreational shooting. New berms/ranges have been dug for the modern 3 gun shoots. Same thing is happening there.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/07/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not in the game, but I think inflation (cost of everything) and ammo availability might be a factor. Hell, Portland, Or is bragging about there being fewer shootings in recent months with all the credit being given to more social services. I think that decline too might be due to available ammo.

1Minute
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 1minute
Not in the game, but I think inflation (cost of everything) and ammo availability might be a factor. Hell, Portland, Or is bragging about there being fewer shootings in recent months with all the credit being given to more social services. I think that decline too might be due to available ammo.
Guess it’s a good thing those perps don’t know how to reload.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah. I can't see drive by's coming back to pick up their brass.

1Minute
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 1minute

Yeah. I can't see drive by's coming back to pick up their brass.
Ha!

Nope, but I know some Loony's that may....

DF

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Inflation is one thing, cost for the stuff is another, having the monotony of waiting in line with strict rules to shoot the same dang steels over and over only appeals to certain personality types.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Inflation is one thing, cost for the stuff is another, having the monotony of waiting in line with strict rules to shoot the same dang steels over and over only appeals to certain personality types.

From your statement I assume you have never shot a cowboy match and probably haven't even attended one to watch because everything you stated about waiting in line and shooting the same steels over and over is absolutely false. The rules are no more strict than any other competitive shooting discipline and are mostly for safety.

As for the original post about cowboy action dying, I am moving from one area of the country where cowboy action shooting is alive and thriving to another part of the country so I thought I would research and see if I would even have any opportunities to shoot. Turns out the area I am moving to has even MORE cowboy action shooting clubs and matches than the area where I currently live. I can shoot every weekend and several times a month during the week all within an hour drive of where I will be living. I have been watching the score sheets from the matches and it looks like every one has twenty plus shooters at each match. I think cowboy action shooting is more alive than people want to let on.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,517
Posts18,472,450
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.