-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Any idea on a good gunsmith who could do this conversion on a tikka t3 ultra light chambered in 7mm rem mag? Been wanting to play around with this caliber after owning a christensen chambered in 30 nosler. Love the nosler chamberings

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm pretty sure if you re barrel and get the correct mags, you're good.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Curious as well. Can you ream the chamber an existing barrel?

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
In comparing dimensions of both cartridges, it appears that a rechambering would work fine, the chamber would clean up nicely. Length would be no problem. It would likely take some work on the action rails to get it to feed smoothly, but possibly not. You’ll know when you try some ammo in it.

However, if some of the very long and heavy for caliber bullets are used, the typical 9.5” twist in the 7mm Rem Mag may not stabilize them.

Last edited by GF1; 03/14/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would check into all the cost of converting i think you will find you may be better off just selling the Tikka and getting a action that will handle the 28 better.
You will also find some smiths will not run a there reamers in a barrel that is already chambered.
A Tenacity or Kelbys' action etc.. would probably cost the same as converting over from your 7 mag.
A 195 with about .280-.300 freebore is gonna be in the neighborhood of 3.7 OAL to the lands

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/14/22.
IC B2

W
W
I had Dan Coffin (Coffin Gunsmithing in Victor, Montana) rechamber a Browning A-Bolt II from 7mm Remington Magnum to .28 Nosler, with no issues other than the magazine capacity was reduced from 3 to 2 rounds. I chose the Browning to take advantage of its 26-inch barrel. It will hold 2 rounds down with a 3rd in the chamber, and feeding from the magazine is fine. The rifle itself wasn't especially expensive, and the conversion was relatively simple. Dan's only concern was the thread pitch on the Browning barrel, but it came out of the receiver easily. The performance gain was well worth the effort.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by sherm_61
I would check into all the cost of converting i think you will find you may be better off just selling the Tikka and getting a action that will handle the 28 better.
You will also find some smiths will not run a there reamers in a barrel that is already chambered.
A Tenacity or Kelbys' action etc.. would probably cost the same as converting over from your 7 mag.
A 195 with about .280-.300 freebore is gonna be in the neighborhood of 3.7 OAL to the lands

Sherm knows what he is talking about, better listen. On a factory rifle, often the chamber is not concentric with the bore line. This leads to a lot of wasted money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

0.528" shoulder
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosler_cartridges

0.491" shoulder
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7mm_Remington_Magnum

I don't think the pilot will reach the bore.... so something must be done, like a boring bar.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Clarkm

0.528" shoulder
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosler_cartridges

0.491" shoulder
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7mm_Remington_Magnum

I don't think the pilot will reach the bore.... so something must be done, like a boring bar.
I know there is some smiths that just won't do it period with there reamers unless they can cut enough shank off and start over.
What i was told the carbon in the ring and throat area wrecks havoc on there reamer

Last edited by sherm_61; 06/02/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like the 7mmSTW is designed to lengthen a 7mmRM chamber.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot of 7mag rifles reamed to a 7STW when it first came out.It's around 200fps or so and ten more grains of powder increase over the 7mag.The only thing I can say against it is it maxes out the mag box because the cartridge is so long.I think that is where the Nosler has an advantage with the shorter fatter case.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by baldhunter
A lot of 7mag rifles reamed to a 7STW when it first came out.It's around 200fps or so and ten more grains of powder increase over the 7mag.The only thing I can say against it is it maxes out the mag box because the cartridge is so long.I think that is where the Nosler has an advantage with the shorter fatter case.
This^^^ and better brass for the Nosler.(ADG)

Last edited by sherm_61; 06/03/22.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Like others have said, ditch the Tikka and find a better platform.

to those that said the rails have to be adjusted , that is not the case with a single feed Tikka Magazine. The magazine would have to be tweaked slightly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

to those that said the rails have to be adjusted , that is not the case with a single feed Tikka Magazine. The magazine would have to be tweaked slightly.

I was gonna add the same comment. Mtn Tactical's Gen 2 billet mag is advertised to handle the 28 Nosler without a problem.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WiFowler

I was gonna add the same comment. Mtn Tactical's Gen 2 billet mag is advertised to handle the 28 Nosler without a problem.

Good to know.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Make sure you have some ammo or brass before you convert.

Thought of that conversion in my 700. I`m going to stick with the 7 Mag. for now.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by WiFowler

At what OAL, for the 195's and get them out there were they should be you will be 3.7+. A 3.85 mag box is optimal, then you dont have to worry about the tips of the bullet slamming against the front of the mag box under recoil.

Last edited by sherm_61; 06/03/22.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.