2Lt Elmer Ralph Ziegler
BIRTH 16 Sep 1921
Buckingham, Tama County, Iowa, USA
DEATH 10 Jul 1945 (aged 23)
MEMORIAL SITE*
Honolulu Memorial
Honolulu, Honolulu County, Hawaii, USA

PLOT Courts of the Missing, Court 5, USAAF, World War II

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hatari: I can not tell from your posting whether or not YOU enjoyed your tour of the U.S.S. Arizona?
But I know I certainly enjoyed my three visits there.
I went twice with wife and family and then once by myself - that last occasion by myself was a profound and sobering visit.
I hope to get back to the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial once more before I cross the great divide.
I have also toured the U.S.S. Missouri many times while it was stationed at the Bremerton Naval Shipyards.
The U.S.S. Missouri was a very favored place to take visiting VarmintFamily out of state relatives.
To a person they ALL enjoyed their visits and many were surprised that battleship, where the Japanese surrendered in World War II, was there/still existed.
Like one of the posters above I have also visited The Punchbowl (three times for me there as well).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Just finished The Punchbowl.

I very much enjoyed the tour of all three. I got the same feel of reverence at the Arizona or Punchbowl memorials that I feel each visit to the American Cemetery in Normandy. I haven’t the words to describe the deep emotions that well up from standing in the final resting place of these brave men.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JOG
2Lt Elmer Ralph Ziegler
BIRTH 16 Sep 1921
Buckingham, Tama County, Iowa, USA
DEATH 10 Jul 1945 (aged 23)
MEMORIAL SITE*
Honolulu Memorial
Honolulu, Honolulu County, Hawaii, USA

PLOT Courts of the Missing, Court 5, USAAF, World War II

Buckingham is not far from us, on a county road. For years I saw the sign to Buckingham when passing it on the highway. Finally decided to take that county road and see Buckingham. We now often take that road as an alternate route. The next time by, I will remember Elmer Ziegler.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I've been there twice, almost 50 years apart. There are so many Japanese residents and tourists on Oahu that street signs are in English and Japanese. I thought the movie was respectfully done for both sides. The Japanese people who shared our group honored that. The message of the entire memorial is Honor and Respect. The only loudmouths I saw who didn't "get it" were American teens.

Have also visited the Memorial. Same with the loud-mouthed teens. The short Vet guy that's been in a lot of videos and documentaries on Pearl Harbor jumped all over them.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to look at from my living room every day I was home. Was in the 25th I.D. for 3.5 years.
It is sobering. Gettysburg is another place you actually "feel".

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hatari
Hatari: I can not tell from your posting whether or not YOU enjoyed your tour of the U.S.S. Arizona?
I went twice with wife and family and then once by myself - that last occasion by myself was a profound and sobering visit.
I hope to get back to the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial once more before I cross the great divide.
I have also toured the U.S.S. Missouri many times while it was stationed at the Bremerton Naval Shipyards.
The U.S.S. Missouri was a very favored place to take visiting VarmintFamily out of state relatives.
To a person they ALL enjoyed their visits and many were surprised that battleship, where the Japanese surrendered in World War II, was there/still existed.
Like one of the posters above I have also visited The Punchbowl (three times for me there as well).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I very much enjoyed the tour of all three. I got the same feel of reverence at the Arizona or Punchbowl memorials that I feel each visit to the American Cemetery in Normandy. I haven’t the words to describe the deep emotions that well up from standing in the final resting place of these brave men.

It should be mandatory for all U.S. youth to tour after they are given a class on our history and the sacrifices given. They have sterilized our history in the schools.

Last edited by 280Rem1; 05/19/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 280Rem1
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It should be mandatory for all U.S. youth to tour after they are given a class on our history and the sacrifices given. They have sterilized our history in the schools.

You’ll be pleased to know I have my college age son in tow. I’ve witnessed what they don’t teach in school and have made a point to show him some of the important stuff. Took him to Normandy. Made him watch The Longest Day before hand.

Made him watch Tora!Tora!Tora! Before this excursion.

He gets it.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Several years ago, my wife and I took a helicopter tour of Oahu and on the way back to the airport the pilot took us along what he said was the flight path of one of the first waves of Japanese aircraft. He brought us over the edge of the anchorage at about the same altitude and hovered for a bit to let us take it in and appreciate what "shooting fish in a barrel" really means in that context. It was freaking eerie.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mom had a high school classmate, Walt Simon, who was lost on the USS Arizona.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 338Rem
My Uncle, went down on that ship, he was visiting a friend. If I recall, dad said he was stationed on the California. Went in 97, went out on the memorial, it is everything everyone describes. Somber, subdued. Also went to Punch bowl cemetery and found his stone/marker there.

My next stop. Pass his name and I will pay respects

Tip of the cap, thanks for that Hatari.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My pleasure.

1077 good men went down that day. The US Park service has offered to interred the ashes of any survivors of the Arizona upon their passing. 47 have done so. There are still 2 survivors of the Arizona with us today.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,461 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,608
Posts18,492,399
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.