Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Winchester's lack of providing reloaders with brass is not helping the cause much.

HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If vast majority of hunters aren't reloaders were is all the powder going that hits the internet and LGS's.
As far as brass buy 100 pieces of ADG it will last the life of the barrel and forget about the Win junk.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm betting that it will be a survivor but maybe not overly popular. Hope so cause I recently bought a BLR in this round but right now thinking I'll just use factory ammo if I find one with acceptable accuracy. haven't shot it yet.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you build one use a med or long action for the heavies and don't look back. Tikka is the best factory action and put a brake on it.

Last edited by sherm_61; 05/18/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned several, seems to me to be about best all around cartridge for the 308 caliber. The only advantage I'd give to the 30-06 would be magazine capacity and feeding, long and skinny v short and fat.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have one, it doesn't even have a scope on it now. I may send it down the road. Not because its a WSM, but because it's not getting any love it deserves.. As a cartridge, I love the 300WSM. All of them I have shot have been extremely accurate/precise. That's by design. Kind of like the creedmire. They are a good efficient design. At the time, or earlier, people were doing a lot of wildcats based off the .404 Jeffery. Winchester got the smart idea to go shorter, instead of longer like some crazed magnum fans went. It was a success. The 300WSM more so than any of the others. Its brothers are dying, but the 300 still has a good following.. What I don't get is Winchester would rather bring out another cartridge (6.8 Western) that so closely resembles another that is fn dead (270WSM). They are grasping at straws when they need to pull their heads out their azz instead..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WTM45
Winchester's lack of providing reloaders with brass is not helping the cause much.

They are fn idiots. Bringing out other cartridges now is a prime example. They should focus on other things that make more sense and benefit people, rather than hindering them..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I was looking at a used rifle at a local lgs some years back. Was at their cleaning bench giving it a lick and a wipe as well as a patch through the bore. They come out ahead letting me clean them up as I check them out even when I don't buy it. Anyway I'm cleaning one and this western style dressed dude came in saw me working on the gun and asked where the 300wsm ammo was I pointed him in the right direction. So he goes over to the rack and picks up 3 boxes of 180 gr Npt Fed premiums and then found an inexpensive leather sling. Hauled his stuff over to the register and paid for it with 2 c notes. Got back less than 20 in change and left. This was 7-8 years a go before stuff really got jacked in price. I never have been able to forget it, it brought a completely simple understanding of the saying
" Has more money than sense" to me. At the time you could have bought 3 boxes of Fed Premiums in 30-06 for less than 75 bucks. Even wallyworld handled 300 WM ammo back then. Just something I never forgot that idea of 300 wsm owners having more money than sense. Flame away God damn it..mb

Most should be handloading their ammo. Most here should be handloading and most probably do. Same can be said for weatherby ammo. If you want to hunt with a gun and save your pennies and not have to handload your ammo, buy an old 30-30 and 22lr and sell off all of your rifles. You can find that ammo at wally world too. $24/box. I handload 300WSM for less money... Just sayin. I have a buddy that bought the schidt to handload ammo and he has bought countless boxes of 300WSM ammo at $65+/box. Its his money, but I think its stupid as fu ck. I'll still catch him buying factory ammo. Its stupid, unless its your only option to getting reloadable brass. I had to do that with a rifle I bought a few days ago. 204 Ruger brass is not going to be found locally, but the shop owner I bought my rifle from threw in 2 boxes of ammo for an extra $50. That's 50rounds/box, so it was a pretty good deal for that ammo. Now I can reload it too....

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
JMHO, but I think the .300 WSM is misunderstood. While it is true the .300 WSM is accurate, shoots flat, and hits hard without excessive recoil, the true beauty of the cartridge is that these great ballistics will fit in a short action, giving a hunter a highly effective and easy-to-carry rifle. Meaning, any conversation that focuses only on the ballistics without mentioning the rifle misses the point of the .300 WSM. For example, just about the best factory-produced mountain elk rifle is a Kimber Montana in .300WSM. But it is the rifle package that makes the .300 WSM great.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shinbone
I think the .300 WSM is misunderstood. While it is true the .300 WSM is accurate, shoots flat, and hits hard without excessive recoil, the true beauty of the cartridge is that it will fit in a short action, giving a hunter great ballistics in a short and light rifle. And, to the point, just about the best factory-produced mountain elk rifle is a Kimber Montana in .300WSM.

Sorry but short action doesn't mean schidt. Unless you have T rex arms and can't operate a bolt with an extra 1/2" movement. Some guys are used to short stroking it. Tikka is a prime example that proves long action rifles can perform every bit as good as a short action and be light weight too. Short action proves nothing. Also some guys say the belt takes up more room in the magazine. All the 300WSM rifles I've owned have a 3 round mag capacity. My pre 64 300wby and 338wm hold 4 in the magazine. My 308 Norma will hold 5, but its a beast, built off of a M1917.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Like I mentioned, the .300 WSM is surrounded by misunderstanding. The short action is about saving weight, not short stroking.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I sold my Remington SPS 300 WSM in a weak moment. It accounted for 18 African plains game animals and 3 New Zealand animals. I used it to take a very nice mountain goat here in Montana. Had no more than approx. 150 round count. It shot sub 1ā€ groups off the bench. I should be horse whipped for my stupidity. I sold it as a package of rifle, components, dies and load information. MISTAKE! MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by sherm_61
If vast majority of hunters aren't reloaders were is all the powder going that hits the internet and LGS's.
As far as brass buy 100 pieces of ADG it will last the life of the barrel and forget about the Win junk.

Gladly!

I missed out on the release from ADG.

I'd cash buy any you had extra!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Like I mentioned, the .300 WSM is surrounded by misunderstanding. The short action is about saving weight, not short stroking.

3 ozs? Like I said, not hardly even worth mentioning. At one time it mattered, when every action was a tank. Now they have trim lightweight standard action rifles. How much does a long action Kimber weigh vs. the short action? I can pizz more than what the difference is..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sorry I do not. I bought 100 pieces of ADG for my 6.5x300wsm.
Get on all the notifications you can next time around.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I think the .300 WSM is misunderstood. While it is true the .300 WSM is accurate, shoots flat, and hits hard without excessive recoil, the true beauty of the cartridge is that it will fit in a short action, giving a hunter great ballistics in a short and light rifle. And, to the point, just about the best factory-produced mountain elk rifle is a Kimber Montana in .300WSM.

Sorry but short action doesn't mean schidt. Unless you have T rex arms and can't operate a bolt with an extra 1/2" movement. Some guys are used to short stroking it. Tikka is a prime example that proves long action rifles can perform every bit as good as a short action and be light weight too. Short action proves nothing. Also some guys say the belt takes up more room in the magazine. All the 300WSM rifles I've owned have a 3 round mag capacity. My pre 64 300wby and 338wm hold 4 in the magazine. My 308 Norma will hold 5, but its a beast, built off of a M1917.

That's a helluva rifle Shinbone! Man, I'd tend to agree that'll be the top of the mountain sorta elk rifle that carries alot and fired once.

Semper Fi
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

3 ozs? Like I said, not hardly even worth mentioning. At one time it mattered, when every action was a tank. Now they have trim lightweight standard action rifles. How much does a long action Kimber weigh vs. the short action? I can pizz more than what the difference is..
3 ozs? This didnt sound right to me so I looked at Kimbers website and according to the specs the Mountain Ascent chambered in .300 WSM the weight is 5lbs 12ozs for the same rifle chambered in .300 Win the weight is 6lbs 7ozs so we are talking nearly 3/4lb not just 3 ozs.......Hb

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
beretzs - Thanks! A tick over 5-1/2 lbs loaded and ready to hunt is pretty sweet. I am super happy with it. Except for the big bears, this rifle is great for anything in North America. Even for antelope, which certainly don't need a big 30 cal to knock down, but where I hunt them it is always windy, and so a fast heavy bullet helps hit where I aim.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
beretzs - Thanks! A tick over 5-1/2 lbs loaded and ready to hunt is pretty sweet. I am super happy with it. Except for the big bears, this rifle is great for anything in North America. Even for antelope, which certainly don't need a big 30 cal to knock down, but where I hunt them it is always windy, and so a fast heavy bullet helps hit where I aim.

I don't blame you a danged bit. Your rifle looks about perfectly matched to everything you mentioned. Pretty hard to hate a rifle with so much performance for no penalty on the weight!

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A .300 WSM with a 22-23ā€ barrel is very handy. I have had a few and really like the cartridge. Iā€™m considering a 20ā€ to use with a suppressor for a light backpack rifle.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 9 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,901
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.