N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by szihn
The one you miss.

Ok, toughest species of buck to kill smartass! 😂😂
I’m sure it’s a Coues whitetail but for a buck that most have the opportunity hunt if they want I’m going with a black tail.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
all these old bucks and kinds can be tuff but these old whitetail bucks that live in wolf country ,thess old bucks are hunted year around by wolves so rifle hunters to these buck`s are easy to avoid . but when these old whitetail bucks get too old and beat up from the rutt they either die or killed by the cold , wolves or maybe a late season muzzleloader or archery hunter , i have killed a couple of very nice old bucks last week of December when its cold and snow is deeper that`s when a old monarch buck might come to a small food plot in the woods right before sunset once in a while , this does not happen every year either for me . now i am getting to the age or just old its harder on my body , but i have learned plenty while on a stand in the woods of the when ,why,how to have a chance at a old monarch buck with my bow, and i have missed a few too ! good luck this fall,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
How about a net B&C buck of any species on public land? Gotta be pretty tough!
Is it the habitat or the habits of blacktail that make them so tough? Is there an actual skill to killing mature blacktail bucks? Or just tenacity and being in the right place at the right time? I’m truly curious. I’ve never hunted them before. I’m really intrigued and admire the big woods whitetail guys who consistently track big bucks and make the shot to seal the deal.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Nestucca
The one you miss.

I’m sure it’s a Coues whitetail but for a buck that most have the opportunity hunt if they want I’m going with a black tail.

Love me some coues deer, love the country they inhabit and the species themselves! 👊🏻 Super cool critters

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Nestucca
The one you miss.

Love me some coues deer, love the country they inhabit and the species themselves! 👊🏻 Super cool critters

I would love to hunt them but with life I’m going to have to stick with Blacktails for a while. The granddaughter wouldn’t be happy with me hunting something without her around.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hardest to kill meaning requires most firepower?

Or

Hardest to obtain an opportunity to kill?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I already know the answer, Whatda guys say?

I'd take a guess at Sitka blacktail.

I hunt reg'lar blacktail in coast and cascade conditions but it's southern-ish and I sorta prefer to hunt before the rain starts 'cause it's more difficult and fewer people bother to try so at least I'm alone crashing through the bushes. Add even more rain and even more ferns .. it's gotta get harder yet.

Tom

With a 7 month season, and a fist full of otc tags, I’ll put them last… grin

What's the best sitka you've killed?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
None they all die when hit in the vitals no such thing as to tough /smart to kill

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have three major species here in Oregon and I have hunted all three since the early 60's. A lot of the3 difficulty comes from the habitat they live in and the availability of alrm animals in their vicinity.

1. Hardest - Blacktail - I killed my largest buck in a clearing in the salal about 30x50'. It was about 800 yards to a house. He stood up, probably to pee. I had never seen him before. Nighht or day.

2. Second - Whitetail - I killed a nice six point four years ago. He was the third deer that came out from behind a slash pile on their way to bed. Unfortunately, the big one was next in line.

3. Third - Mule Deer - I killed a huge one when I was young. He was standing on a cut bank muching grass. I was walking up a logging road. They have gotten tougher to kill since.

There is also a fourth species- the Colunmbian whitetail which is relatively rare. Though we lived in Umpqua where they exist I have never taken one. The tags are tough to come by.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jc189
The big old smart ones that go nocturnal during hunting season. The only way you know they exist is you get a glimpse of him on your trail camera once or maybe twice. usually very late at night or early in the morning before dawn. There like a ghost.
Yep, they hardly ever appear in daylight. They don't make very many mistakes either. Once a buck makes it to 4.5 years old or older, he's very hard to kill.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesJr
There was a whitetail buck that was using on my place about 40 years ago. He was bedding across the road on a neighbor that did not allow hunting, and would cross the road coming on my farm after dark, and going back before dawn. I saw his tracks almost daily. The only time I ever laid eyes on him was at midnight, and he was a nice one, probably would have dressed out over 200 pounds and I'm guessing a 150 to 170 B&C score. I have always believed that could I have hunted on that neighbor, I'd have a chance at him.

You would have got him had you been a 1970s-80s East Texas oil field trash redneck with a q-beam and a 22 magnum rifle.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
How about a net B&C buck of any species on public land? Gotta be pretty tough!
Is it the habitat or the habits of blacktail that make them so tough? Is there an actual skill to killing mature blacktail bucks? Or just tenacity and being in the right place at the right time? I’m truly curious. I’ve never hunted them before. I’m really intrigued and admire the big woods whitetail guys who consistently track big bucks and make the shot to seal the deal.
I'm with you. Public land bucks that have made through a season or 2 are tough. I've killed a ton of blacktail but it was all on private land-no comparison to public land bucks. The deal with blacktail is as soon as their horns are hard, they go find the gnarliest, thickest patch around and never come out. I've seen them do this on private land with zero hunting pressure. You see a big buck as his antlers are growing but as soon as they are hard he disappears until the rut.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Getting a mature Coues whitetail killed is no easy task. They are some smart critters for sure.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Not the buck….but the big ass matriarch 130# doe THT sits in the timber and blows at the 12 other deer in the field….while your motionless with the wind in your face

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
From a bowhunter's perspective:

---One P&Y Sitka Blacktail buck, arrowed the first and only day I ever hunted them (Kodiak Island). Wish I'd bought more tags....I'd rate them the easiest
---Three P&Y Mule deer bucks taken including a Non-Typical in around 25 seasons of serious hunting
---Five P&Y Whitetail bucks arrowed in around 25 seasons of seriously chasing them
---Six P&Y Coues bucks arrowed in around 20 seasons of seriously hunting them
---Zero P&Y Blacktail bucks arrowed over 4 times hunting them....all 5-6 day hunts so not a lot of time into them. I've killed Blacktails with the bow but never a large one, although a big fork horn I got was aged at 5 years old by a biologist that did a teeth ring count. I'd rate them the hardest as I've yet to see a big Blacktail buck in my limited time bowhunting them...mostly during the rut.

None of the mature bucks of any species seem very easy except the Kodiak Island Sitka Blacktails in my experience. And I did see a fair number of decent bucks after I'd filled my tag...just out looking around when I was tired of catching fish. It was the peak rut around Thanksgiving week and there were alot of deer back in 1986.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Oooops, your gonna piss off the hardcore desert hunters off. Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blacktail

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When y'all say hard to kill, I can think of only animal. That would be Hubert D. Buck.

It was The Rifle Opener of 2005. I was up in my favorite stand. This was my first trip out with The Whelenizer, my Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen. I had it loaded with Remington 200 grain PSPCLs over H4895. This same rifle had a perfect record of 10 1-shot kills over the next decade, but today things were not going to go as planned.

Hubert D. Buck Meets Mister Whelen

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
[quote=Judman]I’ve sat with the warden while runnin a couple robo deer, pretty funny. 😂😂

I will say, if you do fall for a robo buck, you’re quite the stupid sumbitch, that’s for sure.

I would freaking LOVE to sit with a warden and watch that action - and hopefully be close enough to hear conversations inside the cab (assuming windows are open and more than one person). LOLOL

The funny part about the above photo is when we drove down that road some time later, there was a live, smallish buck standing next to robo deer - perfect scenario. grin

I'd have taken more time to snap another photo but didn't want to bugger the operation for the warden (or pi$$ him off).[/quote

I'd love to have a shot at a robot buck knowing what it was.

Supposedly there was a local guy who spotted the setup one day driving home. He got his hunting crap together and went after it, circling around
and coming up on it from the woods side. He had around a dozen rounds
in it until they somehow stopped him.

I support what they are attempting, but the game somehow pisses me off.
And, as a game, it makes me want to play.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
This is a never ending argument and one that will never convince the next or previous poster.
Suffice to say, that the hardest animal I have hunted is the ones I knew to be there but never saw or got a change to shoot and those are mature dear on the back half of age that were always smarter than me. Fallow and Sambar come to mind immediately, though I do have a 208 inch Fallow buck on the wall.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (badwolf, BDR1, beefan, Berksbowman, 9 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,057
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.