Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’m lost! How is it paying for itself when your still spending money on it to run. Especially at todays fuel prices no matter if it propane, natural, diesel or gas?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Buck720
I’m lost! How is it paying for itself when your still spending money on it to run. Especially at todays fuel prices no matter if it propane, natural, diesel or gas?
Not sure how the mean it’s paying for it self but in my case…
Previous owners of our property lost power due to winter storm after pipes froze and broke power came back on and flooded the home. Three months later they came back from traveling and the property was damaged to the point they knocked it down and started over.

For me Piece of mind when we travel south for the winter is worth the cost

Last edited by old_willys; 05/23/22.

Ted
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Slumlord's idea of a solar light pack sounds good for indirect lighting. We also have a 2000 Honda and a 1000 Yamaha for little stuff when we don't use the big generator. With everything going on out here you can't be to careful and prepared.

F
Fullfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Fuel type?
Mine is Propane. Bought a 500 gal tank so when I buy the gas I can shop around for the best price

Don't gobble at me
F
Fullfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Buck720

The power has been off for the last 3 days. My life has not been interrupted because of it. And it is a buisness expense write off along with the propane.

Don't gobble at me
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Live remote kind of, last home on the power line. Bad storm Friday evening had trees down everywhere. Power has been out since 1930 Friday.

Convinced the wife back in Sept that we need a kohler 20kw stand by generator.

Well she has been puring right along, shut it off every 8 hours, just for a break and oil check.

Quite an investment, but paying for it’s self now.

If you ever considered getting one. Don’t hesitate.

buy once/cry once

let your budget decide

Nice to have power when your neighbors don't

I have a WEN 3800I

Not a stand by by no means

Beats the hell outta nuthin'

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
How's the general maintenance?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Can't remember the brand but we have a 12kw, the kind that's on wheels and you can tote around like a dolly. I have zero experience with generators so I'm not sure how much it can power and how the hell you would hook it up outside of extension cords.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I could run a very selected few breakers even with my Yamaha 2800

Kept the house warm

Lights on

24HR Campfire online

What more to ask for ?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
Can't remember the brand but we have a 12kw, the kind that's on wheels and you can tote around like a dolly. I have zero experience with generators so I'm not sure how much it can power and how the hell you would hook it up outside of extension cords.

You definitely need some help to get the most out of that, and to not damage your electrical system or hurt yourself.

I'd start a thread about what you can do with what you have, and how to do it properly.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I paid 300 for the box, Romex, lock out switch and breaker to wire my house safely. My brother is an electrician so labor was free.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My little Honda Black Max with a suicide cord and or few beefy extensions gets the essentials taken care of for Ma and myself. I have well, sump, two freezers and a fridge which are essentials. It gets us by , but I could use a bit bigger one with dual fuel. Right now , I am on gas. I will upgrade as finances allow. I pulled wires and have to put in an outlet on porch and a box in the basement next to panel and hook it all up.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Kept the house warm

Lights on

24HR Campfire online

What more to ask for ?

That’s all I plan to do with my 3500 watt Predator! I don’t need my entire house powered. Just a few circuits and the furnace. I keep at least 10 gallons of No-eth gas at all times. That will keep the generator running 5-6 hrs a day for over a week! I can cook either on my grill or a Coleman camp stove. As an electrician I made a suicide cord and rigged up a distribution block to hook up the essential 6-8 circuits without feeding back thru the panel.

Last edited by elkcountry; 05/23/22.

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by elkcountry

Kept the house warm

Lights on

24HR Campfire online

What more to ask for ?

That’s all I plan to do with my 3500 watt Predator! I don’t need my entire house powered. Just a few circuits and the furnace. I keep at least 10 gallons of No-eth gas at all times. That will keep the generator running 5-6 hrs a day for over a week!

LIKE !

yes....don't need to run entire panel

just keep 24HR on line right ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

You definitely need some help to get the most out of that, and to not damage your electrical system or hurt yourself.

I'd start a thread about what you can do with what you have, and how to do it properly.

Had my electrician install X/fer switch...

$300 total

Select the breakers ya wanna run....

Plug it in..NO back feed

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I dont know enough to make good use of the info a dedicated thread would contribute but I have to ask, is 12kw enough for a small ranch house with full basement?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Don't laugh......

WEN builds some purty good stuff.....one pull start outta the box

Have this 3800I ready to roll & plug in...

Buy direct from WEN....no tax & free ship

https://wenproducts.com/collections...le-inverter-generator-with-fuel-shut-off

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Had my electrician install X/fer switch...

$300 total

Select the breakers ya wanna run....

Plug it in..NO back feed
BG, transfer switch for sure. I also believe you would want a ground rod to ground that portable generator unless there is a way the transfer switch takes care of that.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can always go cheap and get a portable generator that you can plug a toaster and a floor lamp into and think you are golden. It really doesn't take long to tire of a pathetic band aid like that.

Just get a good 10,000 watt or bigger and have it professionally wired into your house with propane or natural gas and you won't feel the need to pull up your baseboard and start a fire with it in the living room because you thought a small portable generator was enough....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by shrapnel
You can always go cheap and get a portable generator that you can plug a toaster and a floor lamp into and think you are golden. It really doesn't take long to tire of a pathetic band aid like that.

Just get a good 10,000 watt or bigger and have it professionally wired into your house with propane or natural gas and you won't feel the need to pull up your baseboard and start a fire with it in the living room because you thought a small portable generator was enough....

L I K E

but UR rich...........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 27 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,016
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.