Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Chopped up a garter snake w the mower last week.

Cannot stand those little fuu.ggers. Attitude like a copperhead. Any other non poisonous snake gets a pass but not those garter snakes.
According to Wikipedia, garter snakes are, in fact, venomous. They produce a neurotoxin that is relatively harmless to people, barring an allergic reaction and have posterior teeth (think rear fangs) with which they chew the venom into their victims.
This is relatively new finding. It does explain the reaction a friend had when a big one tagged him on the hand and causing some pretty significant swelling in the hand and arm along with some mild breathing issues for a day or so.

The doctors kept asking him if he was sure it was a garter snake that got him. They saw the fang marks and just couldn't believe the signs of (mild) invenomation they were seeing could've been caused by a garter snake---until a nurse did some research and found that garter snakes are a bit venomous.

Apparently he's abnormally sensitive to their venom.
So are hognose, both have venom geared towards amphibians.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A few years back we had a Mexican laborer build a rock wall in the front yard. It was during the winter and even Tucson can get rather chilly. My wife calls me and says Pablo is freaking out about something and I can't make out what he's saying. No my late wife was fluent in Spanish and if she couldn't make out what he was trying to say it must be bad. So O run out and he's saying what sounded like surpon, surpon, shaking in some kind of fear. I mean he was really freaking out. So I take a look and if it hadn't moved I'd never have seen in. A baby bull snake about 6" long at the most. The snake was so cold it could hardly move. That big 6" something Mexican was literally frozen with fear from that tiny snake. I picked it up and took it into my back yard and turned it loose behind my shed.

I know there are a couple of bull snakes living in my back yard and I leave them be. They make a great pet once they become used to being handled. We had one my youngest daughter brought home from school. It was the start of summer vacation and someone had to take it. My wife was not too happy but as there was a tank with a screened top I figured it couldn't get out. No one told me what great escape artists they are. I learned. I put a 5 pound ingot of lead pn the lid and damned if it still got out. A second ingot finally fixed the problem. Of course, daddy dear was also tasked to find mice to feed the thing. That brings out another snake story that was funny after it was all over with, but not at the time. I was at the pet shop getting another mouse for Doobie the snake and the girl that worked there was up on the counter and on the verge of hysteria. She warns me of the Boa constrictor that is out of its cage. I went over and as it seemed to be non-aggressive I picked it up, all 6 feet of it and put it back into the cage and closed it. I asked he if it was handled a lot and she said her boss would take it out and play with it every evening. She told me a bunch of punks came in and turned the snake loose. I think my wife would have l
left me if I'd brought that thing home.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
No snakes of consequence here in Podunk. 😁

Ha. Check your government. wink

That’s for sure.

Not even close….snakes, even poisonous snakes serve a purpose and only do what they have to do to survive. Politicians are worse than snakes in every way.
Wise Words here

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,696 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,985
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.