Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Tarbe
Wouldn't it be easier to just shoot them and turn them into food?

Yep and horse meat is tasty. When our supply chain bites the dust MANY horses will be chile meat. And in my opinion about 60% of horses are good for nothing else.
With or without beans?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
"... estrogen derived policies! ..." (snicker, snort, chortle!)

A few feral horses become useful....nowhere near all of them.

There is a program where applicants are chosen to adopt a horse, then break, train and show the horse. Some of those folks do some amazing work with those horses.

Federal law enforcement agencies that require mounts are supplied with feral horses.

I'm a real horse person.
I won't allow a horse under my care to be sold to a meat packer.
I won't allow a horse under my care to be left out for the buzzards. They WILL be buried.
....but the wild horses out west? It would grate on my nerves, but yeah, they need to go!
Sometimes you just gotta look "beyond the estrogen"! LOL!
My wife has a quarter horse mare I think she loves more than me and can be a disgusting pet owner but she looks at the feral horse problem and sees the bottom line as euthanasia as probably the most efficient means of management. She has known her whole life that herds need to be thinned to survive. If nature can't do it, man needs to.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tarquin
I have a female friend---staunch Trump supporter and rock-solid conservative. But when it comes to wild horses, her brain goes out the window and she is completely driven by emotion. Heaven forbid anyone shoot one of these critters or drive to remove them from the range!

Did she go vote or did she stay home with you?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I'd be OK with the horses if we could get them to reintroduce some Giant Sloths and Giant Camels to keep them company.

You know, like they had for company before they went extinct in these parts.
I'd be okay with that, as long as the horses here now where like those then... wink

Exactly............right.

I wonder what giant sloth tastes like? Might be fun to hunt?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Tarbe;
Good afternoon to you sir, though it's still morning here, nonetheless I hope you're well regardless of the time of day.

If you're ever traveling east of Ft. McLeod, AB on Highway 3, on the south side of the highway you may spy a whole bunch of horses. This is what you'd be looking at if you did.

https://www.bouvrycanada.ca/

Many non-horse folks don't understand that the horse racing industry for instance is pretty tough on a lot of participants and that is the way one's who either are injured or don't make grade are dealt with.

There are still somewhere near 500 PMU farms up here too - Pregnant Mare Urine - and of course since the mares need to be pregnant to get the chemical needed, there's a surplus of offspring correct? Half of them - the colts - end up on a one way trip to Ft. McLeod.

Locally we're having increasing issues with feral horses which have wandered off of the First Nations Federal Reserves. Since the horses technically belong to the bands or to individual band members, non band members are not really free to shoot them on sight. That doesn't mean that doesn't happen, but if one is caught there are consequences for doing so.

At the same time, there's a FN rancher I know who used to and still might do a pretty brisk business catching "surplus" or unclaimed band horses and shipping them to Ft. McLeod. He's quite a character however so he might be unique in doing that, I can't say.

Lastly, I'll agree with my cyber friend to the north ironbender that they are most certainly feral, not wild. Words matter or at least they used to and need to again in my view.

Anyways just a few thoughts from north of the medicine line and not much more.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by rickt300

Yep and horse meat is tasty. When our supply chain bites the dust MANY horses will be chile meat. And in my opinion about 60% of horses are good for nothing else.
With or without beans?

Ain't no beans in chile hippy.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,469 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,680
Posts18,493,876
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.