Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Wife's coworkers said it was awesome, she wants us to go see it this weekend.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The actual pilot is a local from Lowville NY, his face is not pictured in any scene. He was interviewed a few days ago on the local news and was real excited about being chosen by the Navy to go to top gun.

Last edited by DANNYL; 05/26/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by local_dirt
No criticism here..

But..

Hollyweird wokesters just had to get that Top Gun female pilot in there.

🤣🤣🤣🤣
That’s the norm now. If you see any news piece on military pilots…it’ll be a female

My latest favorite Hollyweird nut dream is the skinny black female Seals Lt Commander in the recent movie Without Remorse who takes down a Russian Special Forces guy in a knife fight.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Must see for the wife and I. Hope it lives up to the hype. Tom might be a little weird, but he is a hell of an actor, especially when it comes time to doing most of his own stunts.

I no longer look at the politics behind a film. All I care about is if it is good enough for me to pay $6 for two hours of entertainment.

You just can't look at the politics behind "art" and "artists" anymore. Defeat their schitbirds in Congress, show them that wokeism isn't acceptable to the MAJORITY of Americans, and the "artists" will sit back down in their baby high chair.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
No criticism here..

But..

Hollyweird wokesters just had to get that Top Gun female pilot in there.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Interestingly enough, the effort to get female aviators defies all training standards. Kara Hultgreen was killed attempting to land on an aircraft carrier with too little training, which was whitewashed by the Navy to promote the acceptance of a female aviator over the safety of the pilot.

Investigation after the incident was handled to protect the image of the Navy and Kara Hultgreen at the expense of her life and an F-14.

When will we learn to put our best people in the best positions and forget policies of gender equivalence? This is the conclusion of a 35 page document investigating the crash involving Kara Hultgreen, who should never have been in the service at the capacity that killed her.

Breaking the Wrong Barriers: The Kara Hultgreen Controversy

CONCLUSION:
What conclusions can one gather from Lt. Hultgreen’s story?
This exhibit is not meant to attack Kara Hutlgreen’s legacy, but to prove what happens when an organization lowers standards, desiring to promote their political status, and allows subordinates to compete in a dangerous environment. Kara Hultgreen was the victim of this policy. Navy authority disregarded the safety of their pilots when politics were at stake. I challenge readers to consider which they would rather have: gender diversity, or a life.
“Even proponents of women in combat should agree that safety should not be compromised, and young lives put at greater risk because of "flexible" standards that treat men and women differently.” –Chicago Tribune
“The Navy’s ill-conceived effort to put unqualified fliers into the cockpits of carrier planes has already cost one life.” –Reed Irvine
"The fault is not with women, but with Navy leaders who allow subordinates to continue doing jobs for which they are not qualified....The true fault lies with senior officers who refuse, for whatever reasons, to offer honest feedback and criticism and to enforce tough, unpopular decisions. They are perpetuating a terrible disservice to the poorer performers, who are allowed to continue in an atmosphere where they cannot compete safely. At the same time, they also are cheating most of the outstanding personnel—both men and women—who crave and deserve a challenge to perform to their utmost capacity, operating in an atmosphere of excellence.”—Lt. Ellen Hamblet, U.S. Navy Officer
“The blame for Kara’s death rests squarely at the feet of the senior officers and policy makers who pushed through her F-14 training.”—Lt. Jerry Burns USN
“These double standards are destructive in several important ways. They risk the lives not only of young women like Hultgreen...but the lives of fellow military men and women. They dumb down aviation standards...Finally, special concessions for female pilots undermine military morale and respect.” –Deseret News
“This death of Lt. Hultgreen was tragic, absolutely could have been avoided, and is waiting to happen again.” –Anonymous Navy Official

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
''I think I’d be more interested if the geriatric Tom Cruise wasn’t in it."

alwaysoutdoors have been wondering about that. The original was shot 36 years ago. A lot can happen in that many years. I saw Kelly McGillis the other day, she is old and fat. Val Kilmer, who looked great in 1986, has some terrible ailment and he looks bad.

How can Cruise play a Top Gun at his age? Plastic surgery and a lot of time in the gym, I guess. It will be interesting to see if he can pull it off.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was in N3/5 (Plans, Policy and Operations) when the Hultgreen incident happened. We WERE instructed to change the narrative to material failure when clearly it was pilot error and she had a poor record of performance. I've written VOLUMES here and elsewhere how standards were lowered all across all warfare specialties and statistics "cooked" to justify their admission into the combat arms and if you are one of those that subscribe to the " I have no problem as long as they meet the standards" bullshit, well it;s just that bullshit,

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I was in N3/5 (Plans, Policy and Operations) when the Hultgreen incident happened. We WERE instructed to change the narrative to material failure when clearly it was pilot error and she had a poor record of performance. I've written VOLUMES here and elsewhere how standards were lowered all across all warfare specialties and statistics "cooked" to justify their admission into the combat arms and if you are one of those that subscribe to the " I have no problem as long as they meet the standards" bullshit, well it;s just that bullshit,

My understanding of Kara, was that if she had been a male aviator, she would have washed out 7 times before she would have received her wings.

Nothing personal about Kara, the Armed Forces are to blame when they sacrifice standards for appearance points…

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Supposed to rain all day Friday, if that happens the woman and I will go see it. Looking forward to it.
You like women? Congrats
Dahhhhh, How many Skank men do you know? Da Fuq

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
The mishap was officially attributed to mechanical failure. Specifically a compressor stall on the left engine.

She disqualified (DQ) during her first attempt at carquals and one of the problems she had was flying the landing pattern around the ship. She was debriefed on this multiple times and told how to correct her pattern. In the daytime pattern at the ship, on the downwind leg you fly opposite direction but parallel to the ship.

When you’re practicing (bouncing) at the field, you begin the approach turn a little later than at the boat….when the touchdown zone is at about 8:30 and that gives you the proper time in the groove. That delay along with wind down the runway gives you the correct groove length. We shoot for about 15-17 seconds. After 90* of turn at the field, the touchdown zone is at about 10:00.

At the ship during the day, you begin the approach turn earlier, i.e. when the ship is at your 9:00. The combined speed of the boat and the natural wind will give you a good groove length. Then after you’ve turned 90*, the boat is closer to the nose, at about your 10:30-11:00 giving the almost overwhelming impression that you won’t have enough straight away. This is where your eyeballs are lying to you because by the time you roll wings level, the boat will have moved farther down range. Then comes THE NUMBER ONE mistake at the boat. They take out some angle of bank trying to generate straight away which then causes them to overshoot the centerline of the landing area. If it’s bad enough you get a waveoff by the LSO. If not enough to get a waveoff the extra angle of bank requires more power which then causes you to roll out of the turn high and/or fast. That’s calls for a really tough, correction with a huge power reduction with two big turbofan engines and a big, efficient wing. Shortly after, if you don’t time the power correction just right, the bottom drops out

This is the situation she got the a/c into. She had a habit of using a lot of rudder attempting to avoid the overshooting start, even in her previous squadron (VAQ 33 IIRC). This was one of the trends she had shown in her first attempt at CQ, pattern problems that caused overshooting starts.

The F-14’s engines had a reputation of having compressor stalls when at high power and high angle of attack and/or slow. In attempting to cure the overshoot with lots of left rudder, the nose of the a/c disrupted the airflow to the left intake causing a compressor stall. When that happened, the aircraft started to settle. The LSOs were yelling for “power,power” and then the asymmetric thrust of the stalled left engine and high power of the right engine, caused the a/c to roll left uncontrollably. The RIO ejected them and the RIO made it but she didn’t due to the slight delay between the rear seat and front seat.

So….yes, it was a compressor stall but it was a compressor stall caused by bad pilot technique resulting from poor pattern discipline.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r
The mishap was officially attributed to mechanical failure. Specifically a compressor stall on the left engine.

She disqualified (DQ) during her first attempt at carquals and one of the problems she had was flying the landing pattern around the ship. She was debriefed on this multiple times and told how to correct her pattern. In the daytime pattern at the ship, on the downwind leg you fly opposite direction but parallel to the ship.

When you’re practicing (bouncing) at the field, you begin the approach turn a little later than at the boat….when the touchdown zone is at about 8:30 and that gives you the proper time in the groove. That delay along with wind down the runway gives you the correct groove length. We shoot for about 15-17 seconds. After 90* of turn at the field, the touchdown zone is at about 10:00.

At the ship during the day, you begin the approach turn earlier, i.e. when the ship is at your 9:00. The combined speed of the boat and the natural wind will give you a good groove length. Then after you’ve turned 90*, the boat is closer to the nose, at about your 10:30-11:00 giving the almost overwhelming impression that you won’t have enough straight away. This is where your eyeballs are lying to you because by the time you roll wings level, the boat will have moved farther down range. Then comes THE NUMBER ONE mistake at the boat. They take out some angle of bank trying to generate straight away which then causes them to overshoot the centerline of the landing area. If it’s bad enough you get a waveoff by the LSO. If not enough to get a waveoff the extra angle of bank requires more power which then causes you to roll out of the turn high and/or fast. That’s calls for a really tough, correction with a huge power reduction with two big turbofan engines and a big, efficient wing. Shortly after, if you don’t time the power correction just right, the bottom drops out

This is the situation she got the a/c into. She had a habit of using a lot of rudder attempting to avoid the overshooting start, even in her previous squadron (VAQ 33 IIRC). This was one of the trends she had shown in her first attempt at CQ, pattern problems that caused overshooting starts.

The F-14’s engines had a reputation of having compressor stalls when at high power and high angle of attack and/or slow. In attempting to cure the overshoot with lots of left rudder, the nose of the a/c disrupted the airflow to the left intake causing a compressor stall. When that happened, the aircraft started to settle. The LSOs were yelling for “power,power” and then the asymmetric thrust of the stalled left engine and high power of the right engine, caused the a/c to roll left uncontrollably. The RIO ejected them and the RIO made it but she didn’t due to the slight delay between the rear seat and front seat.

So….yes, it was a compressor stall but it was a compressor stall caused by bad pilot technique resulting from poor pattern discipline.

Outside of the shortcomings of the F-14 and rhetoric of the aftermath, isn’t it safe to say she didn’t belong in a flying F-14?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Navla8r: Your last sentence about cover is all. We had her records for the (very) high profile mishap investigation and those first women had no business around the boat, to include the "darling" Rosemary Mariner, who was told to "get away from my ship" over the radio by the carrier CO (my friend was CAG LSO at the time). They were going to "succeed" at all costs. Remember what happened to Stan Arthur? retired early because he supported the FNAEB on that other (black) female helo pilot.. FTN.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel
[
Outside of the shortcomings of the F-14 and rhetoric of the aftermath, isn’t it safe to say she didn’t belong in a flying F-14?

Correct. NONE of them should have ever been allowed to fly in the operational world. Are there many that fly well? You bet, but it does not alter the fact we had to eviscerate the "warrior culture" and lower standards in order for them to make it and even then, it takes some doing. Ask youself this question: How come no females flying in the Blue Angels?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[

Correct. NONE of them should have ever been allowed to fly in the operational world. Are there many that fly well? You bet, but it does not alter the fact we had to eviscerate the "warrior culture" and lower standards in order for them to make it and even then, it takes some doing. Ask youself this question: How come no females flying in the Blue Angels?

Few people are also aware that life in general has suffered immensely due to the false sense of need to equalize the sexes. Before women that felt the need to become freight drivers, the weight limit of some freight companies was 100 pounds. Putting women in those positions changed it to 50 pounds.

It seems to me that equal pay should also demand equal work…

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[

Few people are also aware that life in general has suffered immensely due to the false sense of need to equalize the sexes. Before women that felt the need to become freight drivers, the weight limit of some freight companies was 100 pounds. Putting women in those positions changed it to 50 pounds.

All this is by design and I'm no conspiracy kook. Designed to destroy western culture and values..

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by navlav8r

Yep. You’re right, she had multiple chances to get it right and lots of extra attention in her CQ workups and at several points in her training. As Jorge said, they wanted to get that “female fighter pilot” block checked. And…if you can’t do it daytime, it won’t be any easier at night. The ramp ((a$$ end of the flight deck) is the epitome of equal opportunity, it has no friends or favorites.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[

All this is by design and I'm no conspiracy kook. Designed to destroy western culture and values..

We are now getting to the meat of the matter..

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Exactly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny someone mentioned Iron Eagle- the plot was about that believable if you have any military experience. Movie is pretty cool if you view it as a fantasy like Star Wars.

Who is John Galt?
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
[

The Blue Angels aren't immune to political correctness either. Remember 1995 when the Navy made a huge deal out of having the first black CO of the Blues, Donnie Cochran. Cochran sucked so bad that there were fears he was going to kill the whole team so they only made it partly through the season before cancelling the rest of the shows. They had to fire Cochran (resigned for personal reasons) and bring in a prior CO Greg Wooldridge to fix things.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,219
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.