Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I recently went to our county courthouse. One entrance manned by armed security, everyone had to pass through a metal detector. Every floor where I exited had an armed guard, every active courtroom had at least one armed uniformed guard present and on his feet. All personnel that I observed appeared fit and attentive and were contract security agents. There were also armed bailiffs that didn't look as capable, many females and other token hires.

I guess we value our judges more than our children. Denying access is a better solution than arming a flock of betas that can/t even teach the 3 Rs.

mike r

While I find that level of security great, that can't possibly transfer into a doable scenario for small towns with little tax base.

But we can sure harden what's there.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Some Arkansas school districts have paid the tuition for willing staff to attend the training to become licensed armed security. I think it is something like 60-80 hours of training and instruction. The district then pays them a stipend for pistol and appropriate holster.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The problem is that an armed teacher is only effective after the perp has gained entry into the school. I teach HS and it is very difficult to make a school completely secure. My school has automatic locks on the doors that engage 1 minute after every passing period and if someone wants to come in the school when the doors are locked then they have to come through the main office. Teachers have magnetic strips on their IDs that open the door and some like myself also have keys. On paper that sounds effective, but in reality it isn't. These are the things I see every day:

1) Doors propped open because people are too lazy to use their IDs when they have to make several trips.
2) Kids text other kids to let them in (even though phones are supposed to be off) and these students tell a teacher they need to "go to the bathroom" after getting the text and let their friends in.
3) Parents doing the same thing as #2
4) Students placing something in the magnetic locks so the door seems locked but isn't.
5) Electrical issues that can override the lock system.
6) Coaches leaving everything wide open so players can come and go for practice, weight training, sports medicine etc...

Students at the schools learn real quick how to get around the locked doors and we find former students every week roaming the halls to visit their friends. If you want to make the schools safe then they need to be treated as fortresses and when you try to do that you get irate parents or the teachers union calling and raising hell and the school board backs down.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I don't think it is anywhere close to simple. Pretty much any non Felon can get a concealed carry license in many areas now.... That does not mean that some of those people would function well in an extreme pressure cooker type situation.

I'll take a look at the link posted.
No one will be forced to carry if they don't think they'd be helpful with their firearm.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
As was said, in a way they are confident.

I think if a shooter knew he was walking into an armed school, there would be few, if any shootings.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The problem is complacency.

No matter who you arm, or how tight you lock down, after a couple of years, people and procedures will be loose with complacency.

The odds of an attack on a particular school are astronomical, when you figure there's about 100k different schools in the US, ad each school has students about 180 days in a year...

To have every single fail-safe work at the exact time it's needed, won't happen. But we need to harden schools and adopt a standard procedure for every school.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
You've been hanging with the wrong women then.

Its not a gender thing, it's a mental attitude thing.

Originally Posted by JakeDog
Maybe, but I've yet to see a woman that didn't freeze when stuff was going wrong.

Agree 100% . Mousey women are boring.

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TRnCO
Here's a link to a school here in Colo. that I think should be used as a stepping stone to others that want to arm teachers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/l...mp;cvid=cd08a9f881a845f4bc1e11a5e5fed6c4

With monthly training that I think should be required, there also should be a raise in pay for taking on the responsibility and help cover the cost of time and training. The teachers that do carry should not be known by anyone else, and should carry concealed at all times.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

.... like tears in the rain
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Absolutely. I once made a mistake while fueling a race car. Highly volatile fuel, something happened and I jerked the fuel spout back covering my left side with fuel and at the same time knocked a battery charger lead off the battery. Whooomph, I lit up like a roman candle. My wife was there, immediately got the 5lb fire extinguisher, ordered me "down" and put out the flame - and then drove me to the hospital. I've seen her in many stressful situations. She is a very nice person, but is all steel inside.

Originally Posted by David_Walter
You've been hanging with the wrong women then.

Its not a gender thing, it's a mental attitude thing.

Maybe, but I've yet to see a woman that didn't freeze when stuff was going wrong.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I like that sign.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm in education, retired Army, Coached Rifle Team (air rifle) This discussion has come up before, Principal said if approved, he'd want me armed. My job covers several schools thus I'd have to be approved by each Principal or by the District by the Superintendent.

Because I'm not on campus all the time, I wouldn't be a real good choice.

Take trained vets, and retired cops and post them around campus,

Issues parents were concerned with having guns in school, what if a student got a hold of it (?) What if the teacher went postal (?) etc.....

We did improve locks and visitors, but still, if someone is determined to enter a campus and shoot, then quickest and best response is to shoot first, then you have the community to deal with about what a good boy he was, etc...

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I think anyone willing and properly trained should be armed, open or concealed. Kids should be taught not to fear firearms but respect them.

When my kids were little they were exposed to firearms constantly and they never freaked out. They rarely gave one a second look if I had a rifle or handgun out of the safe. Matter of fact I had to beg them to go shooting. Remove the mystery and they will move on to something else.

Last edited by Houser52; 05/26/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Every man and some of the women if they are capable.

That's who should be armed.

God Bless America
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Utah teachers can carry if they choose to. Some of the local sheriffs offices even give them free training if and when they need it for free. I think it's a good idea

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The district I worked for had their own force, armed former police officers, one at each elementary, two at secondary schools. You didn’t get in unless you went through a metal detector, eyeballed by the cop, expensive I’m sure.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I can't see any of the women at our local elementary school carrying a gun. They are either old, fat, or well, women.

Maybe the lunch ladies, they are mean as a snake.

I have a neighbor who is a sweet, pleasantly plump recently retired school teacher. She is also an NRA Distinguished Expert with a handgun. That woman can decide which of your earlobes to blow off next.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I'd train them for a very narrow set of circumstances in which they'd only engage a shooter. Their gun comes out for nothing else. It is likely that the students would learn which teachers are armed, so train them in weapons retention too.

I also think that schools should allow volunteer guards, as long as those guards had passed a training program I am at a point where I could volunteer a half day a week. Having a pool of volunteers who may come to several different schools could have a deterrence effect. It may also come to pass that a volunteer was present when an attack occurred. The volunteer guards would report in to the principal or vice and have a place in an office, or an office, where they could be on standby. Maybe schools need security camera rooms.

Schools definitely need to be hardened.
. Stop it Paul if you were a volunteer at a school you would ending banging one or several of the female teachers there. Then come on here and start a new thread about pussy

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
In Utah teachers can carry if they choose to. Some of the local sheriffs offices even give them free training if and when they need it for free. I think it's a good idea

I think it's an outstanding idea.

It's free.

Nobody has to carry.

Nobody has to know who carries.

Anybody who tries to shoot up a school doesn't know whether the English teacher or the custodian might pop a cap on them.

It's been that way for several years, and so far zero problems except for one negligent discharge in a restroom a few years back.

Be not weary in well doing.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
reminds me of the newspaper comic about airplane travel

Passengers are handed pistols getting on a plane.
Hijacker pulls a pistol
Passengers pull their pistols.
hijacker and passengers are all back in their seats.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
Every man and some of the women if they are capable.

That's who should be armed.

BS.

Man or woman has nothing to do with it.

Hell, there's some "men" here on the Fire who shouldn't be armed. crazy

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 51 invisible), 1,647 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,997
Posts18,520,367
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.