Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Like mfast and navlav8r I had a radical prostatectomy after a biopsy found cancer in the prostate. After initial undetectable PSA several months after surgery my PSA level, while still under .1, is doubling every six months most likely indicating a re-occurrence. I expect to begin radiation treatments after the next test if the PSA rises again, which is likely. I am contemplating the taking Ivermectin to see what happens.

I just turned 60 and expect to make it my early 80's if I can beat this crap. While I do not recall much discomfort from the biopsy the worst part about the whole process was the catheter for two weeks following the surgery. If you have successful treatment you wont even recall the discomfort/annoyance six months after it's over. I have friends that let cancer take them rather than treating it, in their final days they wished they had made treatment attempts, but of course it was too late at that point.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have had prostate cancer for 8 years (I'm 64), Gleason score of 6 determined through two biopsies. The biopsies are no big deal, I would get it. My doctor recommended that we monitor the cancer and if the Gleason score stays the same, nothing will be done treatment wise. I get a PSA test and digital exam every 3 months, my PSS goes from .6 to 1.

My doctor scheduled an MRI of my prostate which was denied by my insurance company. I was a 9/11 first responder and I'm in their health care program also and will get the MRI through them, fingers crossed.

Bottom line is get the biopsy, it's no big deal, takes less than an hour. While prostate cancer can be slow moving, if it moves, it goes to your bones which if you get it isn't good.

Good luck and God Bless.
I

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
kennyd, please get the biopsy. They are really not that big a deal. Just have your mindset right when you go in - "I've got this". Your doctors need that to determine where you're at in progression of the disease and location of the cancer. You do not want it getting into your bones or lymph nodes. I've had at least 5 biopsies. 3 MRI's, CT scans, full body bone scans. 2 Gleasons - last one 7. Like navlav8r, my PSA kept going up with every test and finally reached stupid high levels. I've carried prostate cancer around for years and finally got tired of all the peripheral tests and "watchful waiting". Doing targeted radiation now. Going well, except for side effects that mostly do not include exhaustion. Hit the gym right after treatments every day.

Be advised. Some docteurs will milk you like a golden cow if you have great insurance and/or are on Medicare. Keep an eye on them and don't be bashful about speaking up and asking why they're doing each test and if there are any side effects. Ask me why I know..

Wishing the best for you.

Last edited by local_dirt; 05/27/22.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The accepted "knowledge" is that if you are male and live long enough you WILL get prostate cancer. My former family Doc just retired and he has prostate cancer, so he was extremely focused on my own condition. I'm fine, but he was starting to see signs that worried him. No telling what my new Doc will say. At age 75, I may well have outrun the danger. We'll see.

My advice is to do what your Doc says.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

And, get a second opinion.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Went thru this last year, had blood draw today, go back to the urologist next week hopefully the PSA numbers haven't moved I did have a biopsy last year it was very uncomfortable but doable said I didn't have cancer but we have to keep an eye on it because of the numbers climbing wish you luck and I'd advise having it done not ready to throw the towel in yet.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
For those of you who have had your prostate removed, are you still able to have sex?

-Piss into the wind.
K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
That milking for money worries me. Another posting mentioned the mindset of clinics. This one has a charge for canceling appointments or changing them. I looked up the doctor review, new guy and he is affiliated with Englewood Swedish Hospital. Those of you in Denver know how far and bad traffic is is from Watkins area to there. Wife is disabled so I depend on daughter for backup, and wife needs me. I am going to inquire about some place closer.
Thanks to all

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by KSMITH
For those of you who have had your prostate removed, are you still able to have sex?

yes

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by JD45
I know. Mine was over 6 at 47 years old. The Dr. wouldn't even answer questions. He flat out said it's Cancer and walked out while I was talking. That was 6 years ago. I have no symptoms.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned why they stopped PSA tests years ago. Google it and read the reports.

My grandfather died from treatment for what they claimed was prostate cancer at 74. He was fine and healthy as a horse. The treatment gave him Leukemia.

They still do psa checks if your doc writes a scrip for it. I had one a few months ago and will have another next month. As you mention, some docs quit requesting them for a while but then, a couple of years later, more serious cases started being detected because in that time, guys that had prostate cancer weren’t being diagnosed early. Then by the time they WERE diagnosed, their cases had progressed to stage 3 or 4.

In my case I had zero symptoms. Since my prostate was only slightly enlarged, there was no getting up at night, no urgency, no nothing.. I’ve known my doctor since he was a flight surgeon on base in the early 90s and he had prostate cancer himself about twenty years ago, so he’s very conscious of it in his patients. He sent me to a urologist when my psa went over 4 which was high for my age at the time. Even with me and my doc being on top of it, mine had progressed to stage 3.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
For you aviators you need to do a search of “aviators and cancer”. The Air Force completed a study a couple of years ago and found some significant findings where previously, studies had been inconclusive. There are several articles on the findings in “Air Force” magazine.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Originally Posted by KSMITH

yes
The issue is a nerve that controls erections. It's very small and lays along the prostate. It's hard to find and protect. If it gets cut accidentally, you're done with the love life as it won't grow back together. Doctors are getting much better at it, though. It was a while back when I read this and I know advancements in the surgery have been made.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The accepted "knowledge" is that if you are male and live long enough you WILL get prostate cancer. My former family Doc just retired and he has prostate cancer, so he was extremely focused on my own condition. I'm fine, but he was starting to see signs that worried him. No telling what my new Doc will say. At age 75, I may well have outrun the danger. We'll see.

What’s your favorite finger?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
About 25 or so years back my doc had be undergo a biopsy due to a change on my PSA readings. Turned out positive for cancer. I chose radioactive seed implants and they did the trick. I maintained a good sex life for a long time. Just shot blanks.

On another note, my stepson passed away from prostate cancer the had spread throughout his bones and at the end in all his major organs. Started out many years ago. He was a body builder type most of his life but early on he had pain in is back. I'm thinking he was about 30 and he thought it was from lifting weights. Tough macho type, he refused to see a doctor. Turned out his employer had changed health insurance for his workers and the new company require annual physical exams. He never said what the numbers were for his PSA test but they must have been through the roof. Turns out he had stage 4 terminal cancer and when I talked with his wife at the funeral, she gave me an idea what his last hours were like. You damn well do not want to go through that. He was only 56 years old when he passed.
Paul B.

Last edited by PJGunner; 05/27/22.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My PSA is a little elevated and they want to do a biopsy so I guess I will, although my level isn't that high(4.3) and prostrate biopsies are over prescribed.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 05/27/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Better over-prescribed than under-diagnosed, don't you think?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Better over-prescribed than under-diagnosed, don't you think?

Agree, Rocky.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you are 70, you have a 70% chance of having prostate cancer.

It's worth getting the biopsies to find out GS and how many cores/volume is involved. That will drive your next decision.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
check out DR. Ara Karamanian in Houston, TX.
His treatments are expensive, but worth considering.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

309 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 37 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,860
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.