Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I purchased a really nice Remington Model 742 in 6mm, in shipping 1/2 of the receiver “charger” was broken.
If charger isn’t the appropriate term, the extended curved extension one would use to extract the chambered shell is what I’m referring to.
Are these interchangeable within the 742 Model?
Is there a shop that one can trust with shipping an original Remington part?
And lastly how do you extract these and then replace one correctly?

ANY GUIDANCE IS MUCH APPRECIATED!

I’ve owned many 742’s and have never had one to be repaired in any way, I can generally find my way around shotguns pretty reliably but semi auto rifles wise I’m a virgin.

Thank you in advance.
John

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Ok I ve got one purchased and directions. Thank you Tom!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sharecropper
I purchased a really nice Remington Model 742 in 6mm, in shipping 1/2 of the receiver “charger” was broken.
If charger isn’t the appropriate term, the extended curved extension one would use to extract the chambered shell is what I’m referring to.
Are these interchangeable within the 742 Model?
Is there a shop that one can trust with shipping an original Remington part?
And lastly how do you extract these and then replace one correctly?

ANY GUIDANCE IS MUCH APPRECIATED!

I’ve owned many 742’s and have never had one to be repaired in any way, I can generally find my way around shotguns pretty reliably but semi auto rifles wise I’m a virgin.

Thank you in advance.
John
" a really nice Remington Model 742" might be the oxymoron of the day..... laugh laugh Sorry - couldn't resist..

OK, replacement.. Remove magazine. Obtain stout, 1/16" punch and drive out the pin just behind the handle downward at a slight angle. You'll need to center the dust cover's cutout over that pin to prevent damage.. It's a splined pin, and is in there pretty tight. Once the pin drops (use a towel or similar to capture it) remove the stub and replace the handle with the new piece.. Make sure it's aligned correctly when you drive that pin back in. It's gonna take a good whack or two to get it in place. Ensure that the head is FLUSH with the bolt body or you'll have issues with function.

Good luck.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Right up there with "a nice Winchester 100." grin

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you Redneck,
Appreciate the detail. I’ve not once since my first 742 in 1974 ever, ever had a problem period. They were not made for shooting varmits, how people
break theirs I’ll never know.
I’ve didn’t even know people had problems with their’s until I got on the fire, truely never heard of a single problem and we hunted hard as soon as we could carry a gun.
Anyway thanks again Red.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thank you Redneck,
Appreciate the detail. I’ve not once since my first 742 in 1974 ever, ever had a problem period. They were not made for shooting varmits, how people
break theirs I’ll never know.
I’ve didn’t even know people had problems with their’s until I got on the fire, truely never heard of a single problem and we hunted hard as soon as we could carry a gun.
Anyway thanks again Red.
You're welcome... However, the answer to your question ('how do people break them')is: ...by shooting them.

These rifles were designed for a roughly 600 round lifetime.. With more and more rounds down the barrel the bolt rails become so chattered up that at some point, the owner will end up with a single-shot item.. And it's not repairable.. Just FYI..

Oh, and I neglected to remind you that the 'splined pin' must go in the same way it came out - with the narrow end inserted first, NOT the splined end..

Good luck with your rifle..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Reportedly bolt rail chew is on the .3006 models and comes from folks running 180 gr and heavier.

Bolt rail chew and pitted chambers what kills 742s.

Ahlmans does a pump conversion to keep em going.

Before Big Green took a dump, was cheaper to just get another 742.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hookeye
Ahlmans does a pump conversion to keep em going.
I know they used to, but I think they have discontinued that service...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you again,
You just don’t know, you know the good stuff. I love knowledge and you gave me some.
Enjoy your week, I’ll tell Trump you said hello he’ll be down shortly and I hope the line isn’t as long as last time.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thank you again,
You just don’t know, you know the good stuff. I love knowledge and you gave me some.
Enjoy your week, I’ll tell Trump you said hello he’ll be down shortly and I hope the line isn’t as long as last time.
smile If you get a chance to shake his hand, tell him it's from me.... Wish I was there..

Best wishes.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,393 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,449
Posts18,471,018
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.