Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good luck...

Be advised...

The humidity and heat will rip the hide off of you in that zone... if you are not familiar... you might want to spend a few weeks late August/September.

I keep a 10 acre farm in SW Georgia... and Georgia is mild by comparison to MS or LA.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like Cashking said be prepared for hot summers and plenty of humidity (sweat sitting in the shade). I moved out of Louisiana in 1994 lived most of that time in Kansas and Colorado. Moved back to Louisiana in 2018 and hate the summers to damn hot and humid but like the fall, winter and early spring weather.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So a lot has been covered in this thread but no one's inquired about insurance.

What's it cost for hurricane insurance on a exspensive home setting on the edge of the gulf?

Is liability insurance more exspensive with those houses up on stilts? Does insuring a home with a dock cost additional on a liability policy?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by akasparky
So a lot has been covered in this thread but no one's inquired about insurance.

What's it cost for hurricane insurance on a exspensive home setting on the edge of the gulf?

Is liability insurance more exspensive with those houses up on stilts? Does insuring a home with a dock cost additional on a liability policy?

Inquiring minds need to know.

On Page 1.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Once you get that far South , a lot of states will make you sweat in the shade. Wear your swim trunks and crocs, but watch out for the gators and cotton mouths.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I am a native Mississippian and still consider the MS Coast home. First, nobody that lives on the MS Coast lives on the Gulf. The Gulf sits outside of barrier islands that sit roughly 10 miles across the Mississippi Sound from the inhabited coast. The barrier islands are part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore. They are uninhabited and not accessible by land.

If you are considering living on tidal waters, you need to know that it is the most hurricane surge prone place in the country. Water really piles up during storms. While the housing is MUCH more affordable than it is in Oregon, you have to factor in flood and wind and hail insurance coverage. Do you want to live water view or waterfront? Much of the waterfront is on back bays and canals that don't offer the water view you prefer. The houses on the beach are across the road from the beach and don't offer dockage. If you want to be able to hop in a boat from your backyard, it's the backwaters and canals.

I can give you a good scouting report on all of the coastal towns. They all have their own vibe. I like the MS coast and was going to retire there. The past few hurricane seasons changed my mind. I don't want to be 75-80 years old dealing with that crap.

Impact from hurricanes worse there than in FL. Plus, it's not like FL in that it might hit here, or it might hit there. If it's coming up the gulf going north, MS is gonna get a kick in the teeth.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you live anywhere along the Gulf Coast or Atlantic Coast below New England long enough you are going to be staying hundreds of miles inland at a hotel at some point waiting for the waters to recede and see if Servpro can salvage the bottom floor of your home. I absolutely love visiting the MS, AL and FL Gulf Coast. It is a beautiful place. No way I would live there though. I like living a few hours from the Gulf and a couple of hours from the Appalachians. It is easy to get to both while not having to live amongst the hoards of tourists.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by ol_mike
These places go in a flash.
The first one has been listed about a week, the second one with the pool has been posted for 2 days.
Have cash in hand and be quick.
I don't believe it.

This one had been on the market for 2 days when I posted it here, they landed a contract on it inside of 1 week.

Here's another dandy in Ocean Springs, 2800sf
Built in 1978

9833 Pointe Aux Chenes Rd,
Ocean Springs, MS, 39564

[Linked Image from d1ja9tyo8nbkbc.cloudfront.net]

This is a beautiful secluded property on a peninsula in desirable Ocean Springs with a Gulf view. At an elevation of over 25ft this home has not flooded. The property has an incredible history going back to the 1800's. Surrounded by gorgeous oak trees and camellias. The house was remodeled three years ago and has a very coastal style and is like being on vacation. New kitchen cabinets and countertops were installed, large walk in pantry, the master bathroom was redone featuring hand painted tiles by Chris Stebly, grandson of Walter Anderson in the walk in shower. There is a large walk in closet in the master bedroom off of the bathroom. Electrical, water heater and the septic tank were also replaced. The brick floors in the living room and around the fireplace came from the old Gulfport Courthouse. The barn wood in the office/game room was salvaged from the old Deer Ranch which was a popular tourist attraction in Gulfport. There is a screened in in-ground pool. Perfect for entertaining!!! You really have to see it to appreciate how amazing this home is.

https://www.rockethomes.com/homes/9833-pointe-aux-chenes-rd-ocean-springs-ms-39564

JeffA 1

ol_mike 0

I was going to wait a couple-three weeks and see if houses were selling this well in this area.
I had a business partner who lived less than a quarter-mile of this property, she's retired now.

Hard to believe this house survived Katrina, business partner I just spoke of, her house on very strong Pilings, in-ground pool, were gone, completely gone. She said there wasn't even a road left to try and reference where her house was.
Every house I built [several] south of the bridge, all are gone, all brick homes or three walls brick, empty lots back when I looked on google earth.
Ocean Beach, area same thing houses gone.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I am a native Mississippian and still consider the MS Coast home. First, nobody that lives on the MS Coast lives on the Gulf. The Gulf sits outside of barrier islands that sit roughly 10 miles across the Mississippi Sound from the inhabited coast. The barrier islands are part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore. They are uninhabited and not accessible by land.

If you are considering living on tidal waters, you need to know that it is the most hurricane surge prone place in the country. Water really piles up during storms. While the housing is MUCH more affordable than it is in Oregon, you have to factor in flood and wind and hail insurance coverage. Do you want to live water view or waterfront? Much of the waterfront is on back bays and canals that don't offer the water view you prefer. The houses on the beach are across the road from the beach and don't offer dockage. If you want to be able to hop in a boat from your backyard, it's the backwaters and canals.

I can give you a good scouting report on all of the coastal towns. They all have their own vibe. I like the MS coast and was going to retire there. The past few hurricane seasons changed my mind. I don't want to be 75-80 years old dealing with that crap.

Impact from hurricanes worse there than in FL. Plus, it's not like FL in that it might hit here, or it might hit there. If it's coming up the gulf going north, MS is gonna get a kick in the teeth.

Especially so if they go west of the Ms. Coast, hurricanes spin counter-clockwise, that brings in very high water to the east oftentimes causing more damage than where the eye of the hurricane passes over.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Especially so if they go west of the Ms. Coast, hurricanes spin counter-clockwise, that brings in very high water to the east oftentimes causing more damage than where the eye of the hurricane passes over.

Exactly!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to come up with comparable Wildfire/Hurricane data.
Most hurricane data out there is insurance related dollars of damage not homes 'lost'. Can't hardly count damaged shingles or trees falling on parked cars as homes lost.

Investments are a gamble most anywhere your at but I'd take a coastal hurricane over a Kansas tornado or a mountain state forest fire any day. I'd put a strong wager on there being more homes lost to wild fire than hurricanes. Can't let fear control you.

Wildfires destroy thousands of structures each year

November 2020

Since 2005, more than 89,000 structures have been destroyed by wildfires resulting in an untold number of fatalities, evacuations, and personal losses. The number of structures destroyed, rather than the number of acres burned, is a more telling measure of the broad social, economic, and community impacts from wildfires.

https://headwaterseconomics.org/natural-hazards/structures-destroyed-by-wildfire/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These places go in a flash.
The first one has been listed about a week, the second one with the pool has been posted for 2 days.
Have cash in hand and be quick.
I don't believe it.

This one had been on the market for 2 days when I posted it here, they landed a contract on it inside of 1 week.

Here's another dandy in Ocean Springs, 2800sf
Built in 1978

9833 Pointe Aux Chenes Rd,
Ocean Springs, MS, 39564

This is a beautiful secluded property on a peninsula in desirable Ocean Springs with a Gulf view. At an elevation of over 25ft this home has not flooded. The property has an incredible history going back to the 1800's. Surrounded by gorgeous oak trees and camellias. The house was remodeled three years ago and has a very coastal style and is like being on vacation. New kitchen cabinets and countertops were installed, large walk in pantry, the master bathroom was redone featuring hand painted tiles by Chris Stebly, grandson of Walter Anderson in the walk in shower. There is a large walk in closet in the master bedroom off of the bathroom. Electrical, water heater and the septic tank were also replaced. The brick floors in the living room and around the fireplace came from the old Gulfport Courthouse. The barn wood in the office/game room was salvaged from the old Deer Ranch which was a popular tourist attraction in Gulfport. There is a screened in in-ground pool. Perfect for entertaining!!! You really have to see it to appreciate how amazing this home is.

https://www.rockethomes.com/homes/9833-pointe-aux-chenes-rd-ocean-springs-ms-39564

JeffA 1

ol_mike 0

I was going to wait a couple-three weeks and see if houses were selling this well in this area.
I had a business partner who lived less than a quarter-mile of this property, she's retired now.

Hard to believe this house survived Katrina, business partner I just spoke of, her house on very strong Pilings, in-ground pool, were gone, completely gone. She said there wasn't even a road left to try and reference where her house was.
Every house I built [several] south of the bridge, all are gone, all brick homes or three walls brick, empty lots back when I looked on google earth.
Ocean Beach, area same thing houses gone.

Exactly why I posted the year built date on the homes I selected to post in this thread, it has meaning. The home in question states right in the property details that it sits at 25ft of elevation and had never flooded.

Katrina was a nasty one, also a rare one. The related storm surges which contributed to the balk of the damages broke records set in 1916, that's just how rare such a storm is. It's also why most all coastal homes are built elevated on stilts.

There is a lot of things that can be done for wind mitigation when building a home that are not included in 'code quality' construction.

[Linked Image from weather.gov][Linked Image from weather.gov]

STORM SURGE
Known for its storm surge, Katrina’s highest surge was found in a zone from just east of the eye near Bay St. Louis, MS east to the northern reaches of Mobile Bay. The Mobile State Docks measured the highest storm surge of 11.45 feet, while the lowest was 4.1 feet in the Santa Rosa Sound in northwest Florida. Storm surge was as high as 12-14 feet in Bayou La Batre, AL and likely close to 20 feet along the Mississippi-Alabama border.

Many homes were engulfed by Katrina’s surge in Bayou La Batre, AL.Major beach erosion occurred from Dauphin Island to east of Destin. The west end of Dauphin Island was completely under water with most of the homes on the west end washed away. The surge in Mobile Bay led to inundation of downtown Mobile causing the imposition of a dusk-to-dawn curfew. The Wallace Tunnel was closed due to high water from the surge. Most of the businesses on the Causeway over Mobile Bay were damaged or destroyed by the high water. An oil rig broke free and floated up Mobile Bay and became lodged underneath the Cochran-Africatown Bridge. The Mobile State Docks surge value of 11.45 feet was very close to being the highest value ever recorded. The previous record of 11.60 feet was set on July 5, 1916.

No lives were lost due to the storm surge across Mobile and Baldwin Counties in southern Alabama. Long lead warning times were given by the NWS Offices in Mobile, AL and New Orleans, LA as to how high the surge would be. As early as two days before landfall, the NWS Office in Mobile issued a Hurricane Local Statement (at 725pm) that foretold of the historic storm surge values of 8-12 feet well east of Katrina's center.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well hell.

Maybe find a place close to the kids in Royse City, Texas, and just spend time near the ocean.

I hate the idea of losing my stuff to water.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Maybe find a place close to the kids in Royse City, Texas,

Yeah
If you didn't know, Rockwall county and the surrounding
area is some of the highest priced land around
Last time I looked, $89000.00 to $175,000.00 an acre
depending on the area and road frontage and access
to utilities, etc.
Tax will also be shooting through the roof in the
next decade

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (219DW, 1minute, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,600
Posts18,511,428
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.