Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Shrapnel, what part of Montana was that?

I got to see one in the park two summers ago. Coolest thing. I’ll see if I can find a picture and post it.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't know squat about shooting bears, and the only ones I've seen have been in zoos or parks. That said, I'd feel pretty undergunned with ANY handgun, based on those bears. I'm a decent pistol shot, though, and since I know what I shoot WELL, I'd probably go with Mackay Sagebrush's .45 ACP loads, considering them to be the best in a bad situation.
Like I said, I don't know squat about shooting bears, but he lives in bear country, and I don't.
At least I know what I don't know.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
https://postimg.cc/gallery/mZkPMRQ

Hopefully this works. My bear looks like a cub compared to that beast

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by viking

I got to see one in the park two summers ago. Coolest thing. I’ll see if I can find a picture and post it.

Southwest, near West Yellowstone. I spent my summers at our cabin there and the grizzly frequency was almost daily.

It amazes me how much people will claim they know about something they know little or nothing about. This is not referring to you, it is others that will make claims about what they can or would do in a bear confrontation.

Grizzlies were a common occurrence and they were killing cattle on the neighboring ranch. We actually heard the cows belowing one evening when a grizzly killed a calf and ate it while we responded to the noise. By the time we got to the site, the bear had eaten the calf, all but the lower legs and head. We are talking only in 2-3 minutes from the time we heard the commotion until we found the remains.

I have killed 2 grizzlies and lived with them for years in a close and personal way, have seen them in every possible scenario from rummaging through garbage to false charges. These pictures exemplify the massive size of these bears and it is typical to have experts make judgements or claims about what they would do in a bear confrontation.

Those bears spook the heck out of me, as I hunt that area each fall during bow season, and I don’t feel there is a real bear killer you are going to wear on your hip. It is certain, that you had better stop the bear, because a dead bear that isn’t down can still kill you…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by viking

Southwest, near West Yellowstone. I spent my summers at our cabin there and the grizzly frequency was almost daily.

It amazes me how much people will claim they know about something they know little or nothing about. This is not referring to you, it is others that will make claims about what they can or would do in a bear confrontation.

Grizzlies were a common occurrence and they were killing cattle on the neighboring ranch. We actually heard the cows belowing one evening when a grizzly killed a calf and ate it while we responded to the noise. By the time we got to the site, the bear had eaten the calf, all but the lower legs and head. We are talking only in 2-3 minutes from the time we heard the commotion until we found the remains.

I have killed 2 grizzlies and lived with them for years in a close and personal way, have seen them in every possible scenario from rummaging through garbage to false charges. These pictures exemplify the massive size of these bears and it is typical to have experts make judgements or claims about what they would do in a bear confrontation.

Those bears spook the heck out of me, as I hunt that area each fall during bow season, and I don’t feel there is a real bear killer you are going to wear on your hip. It is certain, that you had better stop the bear, because a dead bear that isn’t down can still kill you…

“I Hatchet Schrap, being of sound mind and broke legs, do hereby leaveth my bar pistol to…….”” 😁

Last edited by WMR; 01/17/23.
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
They add a lot of intrigue to the Montana wilds, that’s for sure.

Hopefully Montana gets a season for them bastards again.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Truly big bears are rarely the issue. Recently disenfranchised males and sows with cubs are where the concerns lie.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Once I Picked up a lightweight S&W 41 mag for fly fishing & Elk hunting in Colorado once.

I had it sent to my fav. Gunshop and the long time gunsmith happened to be there so I said - Hey Rudy .. come look at this… then told him what I’d use it for.

He told me - Make sure you file the front sight down.

Huh… I asked him why - would it help me draw it -

He said - Nope…

But it won’t scratch as much when I pull it out of my arse, because that’s where the bears going to shove it.

Old smart ass.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The more experience I gain the more I am inclined to change my mind about what makes a great, defensive bear handgun. Even though I carried, and still own plenty of big bore revolvers a Glock 10mm with good ammo makes a hell of a lot of sense. One hand can release 15 rounds of hardcast into a mad critter a lot faster than with anything else. Easier to unholster, point, and hold onto.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Once I Picked up a lightweight S&W 41 mag for fly fishing & Elk hunting in Colorado once.

I had it sent to my fav. Gunshop and the long time gunsmith happened to be there so I said - Hey Rudy .. come look at this… then told him what I’d use it for.

He said - Nope…

But it won’t scratch as much when I pull it out of my arse, because that’s where the bears going to shove it.

Old smart ass.
That's because you're a faaggot from Kansas..

Last edited by dla; 01/17/23.
IC B3

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You obviously haven't seen or been around any grizzlies, or you would know better than make that ridiculous statement.

Yep, uh-huh, you betcha.

Look, you posted dumbshit stuff and I called you on it. Maybe I'm the only one on this board that knows what a mature 6 point antlers look like. Or maybe I'm the only one to zoom in and notice that the carcass was down to hide and backbone. And maybe I'm the only one to know how to fake the size of an animal, which is why I linked the picture of my 3" long whistle pig laying over a stick. The point is that you posted dumbshit stuff again.

Don't post dumbshit stuff and I won't comment.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Defense Against Bears with Pistols: 97% Success rate, 37 incidents by Caliber

https://sportingclassicsdaily.com/d...97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by dla

You obviously haven't seen or been around any grizzlies, or you would know better than make that ridiculous statement.

Yep, uh-huh, you betcha.

Look, you posted dumbshit stuff and I called you on it. Maybe I'm the only one on this board that knows what a mature 6 point antlers look like. Or maybe I'm the only one to zoom in and notice that the carcass was down to hide and backbone. And maybe I'm the only one to know how to fake the size of an animal, which is why I linked the picture of my 3" long whistle pig laying over a stick. The point is that you posted dumbshit stuff again.

You must be campaigning for the Beaver award for asswhole of the month. You sure got that place won, and it was a blowout in your favor…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla

He said - Nope…

Old smart ass.

LOL, dla is "Christian Ed" check out his website. He's a gun x-purt......and a Christian. You can tell by how he comes across on this site. LOL

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by dla

He said - Nope…

Old smart ass.

LOL, dla is "Christian Ed" check out his website. He's a gun x-purt......and a Christian. You can tell by how he comes across on this site. LOL
You looking for date? Try Grindr and maybe you and Spotshooter can get together.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dla

Yep, uh-huh, you betcha.

You must be campaigning for the Beaver award for asswhole of the month. You sure got that place won, and it was a blowout in your favor…
Oh that's so hurtful, I'm going to cry...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

He said - Nope…

Old smart ass.

You looking for date? Try Grindr and maybe you and Spotshooter can get together.
Notice how dla goes right for the homo in his replies? He’s not just an arsehole, he’s also a phag.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

He said - Nope…

Old smart ass.

Notice how dla goes right for the homo in his replies? He’s not just an arsehole, he’s also a phag.

He is also a dick because he likes them so much

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
10 MM 220 Gr Hardcast I use a Springfield XDM 10 mm with heavier spring. Shoot it better and than my S&W model 29 than I have owned since late 70,s. I shot them side by side and dramatic difference. Just be aware of your surroundings and proficient with your weapon and relax.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kk alaska
10 MM 220 Gr Hardcast I use a Springfield XDM 10 mm with heavier spring. Shoot it better and than my S&W model 29 than I have owned since late 70,s. I shot them side by side and dramatic difference. Just be aware of your surroundings and proficient with your weapon and relax.

Kurt,
Any issues with the Spingfield? How does it function with the heavier spring? Where did you get the spring?
Thanks
Randy

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 61 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,618
Posts18,511,844
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.