Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I for one still miss Bob's posts. He cut to the chase without talking down to anyone and was quite willing to share his considerable knowledge.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
I for one still miss Bob's posts. He cut to the chase without talking down to anyone and was quite willing to share his considerable knowledge.

For sure. He's the ultimate one who pushed me over the 7mm Mashburn Super edge..

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by patbrennan

+2

“Factio democratica delenda est"
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I didn't want to get fancy and do a head shot. Figured there was more meat in the neck...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

50 yards? At least brush the unburned powder off the coyote!

grin

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
I didn't want to get fancy and do a head shot. Figured there was more meat in the neck...

50 yards? At least brush the unburned powder off the coyote!

grin

Ha ha.. You see the little tiny pock marks in the same spot. I was hitting him there the other day with my 204 ruger.. Didn't even make him bleed!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS
Start doing that in your matches and you'll move up in no time!

You have no clue how my CTR shoots.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
That turned into a good project BSA. Seems like it shoots.

What load and how far was the coyote?

I could kick myself when you could buy SS Classic 7 Rem's and 300 Win's for under 650 a few years back. Bob used to call them parts rifles in a box. We have all had them where they were either nail drivers or should just be used as a hammer whistle

I have been fairly lucky with them by and large. I had one 7 Rem that had an oblong chamber somehow and my 264 Classic was a basket case in the trigger department. Trigger pins were sloppily drilled and the trigger flopped around. All easily correctable stuff.

Yeah, I knew it would be pretty good. Someone carried and hunted the heck out of it. Guys don't do that unless they shoot well. Right over the head of the yote is the yardage sign posted in the background on the backstop. I've been pretty lucky as far as classics go (knock on wood). The worst one I saw was a 7 digit 7WSM that the scope mounts were not drilled perfectly in line with the bore. I think I did something goofy like oblong one hole in the mount and I was good to go. No other issues with that rifle. Triggers have generally been pretty easy to fine tune. This is a pretty good rifle. I'm pretty impressed with the initial range day. Load is what I worked up for the 7mm stainless classic boss last week:

I was pretty happy with the 300 yard grouping I got, so I flung 5 shots downrange just for schidts and giggles:
Yeah, this load was not developed for this rifle and it is a "hunting rifle". First time out with an arbitrary load shows pretty good promise. Not trying to impress anyone, just good honest targets, as per usual. The funny thing was I was using the dope from my 300WBY sheet, since I thought I was done with my classic stainless BOSS and stapled that to the targets the other day. Didn't even have the 7mm rem mag sheet in the range bag, but I had previously printed off the 300WBY dope sheet the other day and had that in the range bag. That was after shooting it at 400!! "A day late and a dollar short". Kind of a cluster, but it was 4.7 MOA up at 400 yards. I haven't even compared that to the actual sheet I have stapled to the targets. Probably pretty damn close though, as The groups seemed to be pretty centered on the orange dot I was shooting at. Not impressive groups, but that scope is severely lacking in the clarity department and the reticle kept doubling up on me. May have been my eyes, but even my cheaper Burris FFII's don't do that.. Still on the fence about the Leupold. For damn sure not going to send it in because they will keep the SOB and it's better than any new scope they make..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MikeS
Start doing that in your matches and you'll move up in no time!

You have no clue how my CTR shoots.

If that's what you've been shooting I'd stick with it, for matches. Don't alternate rifles/cartridges as it will just complicate your wind calls.

Last edited by MikeS; 06/08/22.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,700
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.