Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey Guys,
Sorry for the double post.....I started a thread on the Beckel EENA TT Tent and am now considering looking at the Cabelas Alaknak or a conventional wall tent with internal frame. Wanted some opinions on the Alaknak. Sounds like the Cabela's reviews are good for it....just wanted to hear any comments on choosing between the two....or between the three I should say...
Seems like a nice quality tent and a bit lighter than a canvas with the frame, etc. Decent price for a 12x12 and I was also considering going to the POD version which allows you to put up to 6 'pods' for sleeping in and maximizing floor space in the main area of the tent....

Any comments appreciated!!

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The Cabelas tents are nice, but if there is alot of humidity like snow, rain and you do not have a wood stove it will be wet inside. Canvas is heavy, takes alot of space to store, but dries quickly, breathes well, insulates great. I thought about getting the Alanark many times, but canvas is best in my opinion.

Good Shooting!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I agree with hunting1. Most all single wall tents are going to have moisture issues unless there is a heat source in them. If the source is a propane heater it won't take care of all of the moisture.

Sometimes all it takes is a Coleman white gas lantern running for a few hours a day but some kind of flame seems to be required.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The exhaust from cleanly burning propane is water so it adds moisture. I have a propane catalytic heater in my camper. If I have to run it steady for several days, it'll get pretty damp in there, even when keeping windows cracked for ventilation.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Definatly will be using a wood stove with any choice.....so I do appreciate the comments regarding either of em....its greatly appreciated in helping make the decision....

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
my alaknak tent has survived roughly 10 moose and 3 or 4 bear camps .A optional roof tarp was available at the time and was needed as the actual tent leaked.I have used it down to minus 18 or so and still slept on top of my sleeping bag as it gets fairly warm inside.I would buy another in a heartbeat.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Redmtn,
Not good to hear that the actual tent leaked....how badly did it leak? What type of stove do you have in yours? What made you choose the ALaknak over the canvas?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A canvas tent with a fly over it is a pretty awesome thing to spend a week in, in bad weather. Gotta have a woodstove of course.

I don't know about the Alaknak; it might be equally pleasant.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought mine aprox. 14 years ago.The new alaknak 2 tents dont look like mine in anyway and maybe they have made the seams more water proof , dont know.I used a couple litres of seam sealer and did the whole tent , inside and out.Before we took it out i set it up in the yard and ran a sprinkler over it for a few hours and water was coming through in a few different areas.At the time you had a option of ordering a fly to go over the top and a alaknak stove , i bought both.The reason i chose it over a canvas tent was mainly due to weight considerations for fly in trips , thats all.I definitely would buy another if i had to replace it and again only with a fly as i dont like water dripping on me.

Last edited by redmtn; 10/08/07.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We`ve hunted out of a canvas wall tent, for years. This year, we went to an Alaknak, mainly for the weight. The first night, we didn`t lite the stove, because the temps were in the 20`s. When we got up next morning, the inside of the tent was all frosty from our breathing. When the sun rose, the frost turned to rain, in the tent. The wood stove took care of the problem. The vestabule, is a real plus. Keeps gear and boots inside, plus a handy place to cook in bad weather.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
We have both, and the Alaknak never comes out with us anymore. it leaks and you use twice as much wood to keep it warm as the canvas tent. Plus I think it is more of a PITA to setup then our canvas wall tents.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Virginia...

So now I'll add another loop in the thread....which brand wall tent are you guys running, and why?

For some reason a 12x15 with 5' walls keeps coming into my mind, and a nice internal frame. Sure seems like thats a cats ass setup.....

I've looked at Beckel, Davis, Cylinder Stoves, Reliable, Deluxe, and Norseman....

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
We have been using:

Kwik Camp KwikCamp Linky This is our Food/kitchen/card play�n/everything goes here tent 10x14

Cabelas Cabelas Linky
12X14 with rain fly this is our sleeping rig. The Cabelas Tent has thicker canvas, and seems to retain the heat much better.

Both have internal aluminum frames, so I would suggest getting a rain fly, since water likes to wick through to the frame when it rains for more then a day (or if it comes down in buckets <wink>) In both we have the Alaskan stoves. We also have a Tippee which is way cool, and is very comfy but sure uses up a big footprint (17� diameter) but is really only good for 4 ppl.

Last edited by VirginiaHunter; 10/08/07.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I bought a Davis canvas tent over 15 years ago and it is still going strong. I have the internal frame that is so easy I can quickly erect it myself if need be. Most of the time though I'm packing in with horses and just cut poles.A couple of friends have bought a Davis since I purchased mine and they like theirs as well. The service is also great if by chance I do something stupid and it needs to be repaired! A great family to deal with.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Basically what it comes down to is that you will find a large majority of hunters appreciate a good wall tent over any other type.
One of the best attributes is that you can pack thme in and cut poles on site. I have packed everything from a 16 x 24 toa 10 x 15 on mules with no problem, or if you camp right at the truck, the poles are handy
The 12 x 15 is an excellent size

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about the Montana Wall Tent Shop, anyone have experience with their tents? I am looking at one of them for next year.

Rob
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll be checkin them out too Rob....thanks for the link on the other thread.....

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
TTT....thanks for the comments guys...keep em comin!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you considered the
Kifaru tepee with wood stove?
It is in a class by itself weight wise.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an alaknak that is 6 years old. I sold my trailer for it. I always have the stove burning and it stays dry inside with less than 3 guys in my 12x12. I have to say a nice dry floor is worth a pile to me. no mud in the tent, does good for keeping mice out too.

I like the alaknak. and the vestibule and roof protector are money well spent. we just use a silver tarp for the floor, it is cheap and reflects light well.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (BamBam, 44mc, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,485
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.